Why does everyone think it's WHAT they eat that matters?

Options

Replies

• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Light beer,
    tumblr_mm4ulbhKI61rlrzrbo1_500.gif
    ...that's precious.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    sigh, if I could stop at one piece of pizza would I even be in this mess?! :cry:
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Because macros are still important. You can't just be under your calorie goal eating only cake and expect to be healthy or feel good. Not that you have to cut it out, but sometimes when people have that one slice of pizza it turns into half a pizza (that's what happens to me every time) or one beer turns into six.

Yeah, I suck at moderation. What is the point of one cookie? By cutting out the majority of sugar and processed foods I don't want them as much and that makes it easier. That's the point to me.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I cant eat 1200 calories per day without leaving some things out. For example one slice of pizza 300 calories. compared to 1 cup of cauliflower, 1 cup of broccoli and 10 ounces of chicken breast it is the same 300 calories.
  • jujuki47
    jujuki47 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with your sentiment. Unless it is for actual medical reasons, there is absolutely no reason to deprive yourself. That is why most diets fail. And honestly, even I eat pizza from time to time. It's an 'inflammatory food' and finding a version that isn't hideously salt laden can be challenge, but sometimes, you gotta have pizza.

The people depriving themselves for no good reason are setting themselves up for miserable failure.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For me, it is what I eat.
    If I eat a massive 2-lb salad with cucumber, tomato, avocado, and tuna which only comes to 300 calories, I will feel invigorated, full, and satisfied.
    If I eat a 2.5oz bar of chocolate which comes to 300 calories, it will taste good while I'm eating it, but I'll still be hungry and I will feel unsatisfied and have heartburn.

That's the point that I made, though. Your calorie-dense chocolate bar isn't satisfying whereas your big salad is. You decide what to eat for your calories. For example, as a test, if you only ate 1,200 calories of chocolate bars each day you'd still lose weight. I see so many people on this site only wanting to lose weight (and fast!). So cut down what you eat. Period. Of course it matters what we put in our bodies but from a pure calories in/out perspective just eat less. You're going to fail if you cut out pizza, beer, a candy bar, etc. That's why when I lost my weight I focused on the calories only.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely, a friend just lectured me on how 400 calories of broccoli will make you less fat than 400 calories of cake. I agree that the broccoli is better for you ( except for the amount of gas that would come from that much broccoli, ew) but the calories are the same.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar and fast foods because it makes me feel better. When I eat sugar I have to have more, I can't stop. So that is why I gave it up. I am not here just to lose weight, I'm here to eat healthy and move more, the weight will come off with the lifestyle change. The only way I can make that change is to stay completely away from unhealthy foods.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For those of us with certain metabolic issues, it actually DOES matter. Also there are others who feel that certain foods stimulate their appetites so they feel it would be better to avoid those foods.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What you eat does matter! Maybe not in terms of weight loss, but a body that is supplied well with the right nutrients has a better chance of performing well during a workout and will support weight loss.
    I'm horrified by what I see in some people's food diary's. it certainly doesn't look like they're on a weight loss programme, and I'm not referring to to occasional treat. Nor am I perfect.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters. You just need to chose if you want calorie-dense food or more of a less-dense food.

If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail. So instead of giving up pizza why not just eat one less slice per meal? Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite. I really don't understand why people are so dang hard on themselves. Good luck!

I get your point and tend to agree, but in the real world, both matter, and one might be more important than the other depending on a person's goals.

True, my thoughts as well.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Guinness is actually one of the most naturally light beers!!! (Just wanted to let OP know in case he's been forgoing Guiness!!!)

As you were.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I do understand what you are saying. I still eat those things that I enjoy, but I eat them in moderation. I have learned what a portion size is and try to stick to that as much as possible. I also have found that adding in more whole foods has helped a great deal. As I have added in these things to my diet, I find that I am less likely to find those cookies or chips as appealing as they used to be. I'd rather have the fruit or celery (one of my faves!). I still eat pizza (I think my all time Fave), but I eat a big salad with it so that I don't need to eat half the pizza.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You should not just be concerned with weight loss, you should be concerned with your overall health. Being healthy should be a goal for everyone to have. When's the last time you heard someone honestly say "I really want to die young!" "I am excited to get cancer!" or "All this GMO stuff is awesome, give me more chemicals please!"

It should be ALL about WHAT you eat, not just the marcos.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective I would agree that as long as you expend more calories than you consume, you can succeed. Personally though, when I eat what I consider to be a pretty clean diet - lean, grilled meats, fresh fruits & vegetables, whole grains, etc - I have much more energy and don't get hungry as frequently.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I try to eat to fuel my body and I have low iron so I try to eat iron rich foods...how ever I don't deprive my self...for instance today I wanted chips so I had some...I ended up only eating half a serving because my 2 year old wanted some (well he pretty much said "that's keegan's" and then ran away with the bag)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For some people it does matter for weight loss.

For everyone it matters for health. Not getting proper nutrition will raise risk of health problems.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You should not just be concerned with weight loss, you should be concerned with your overall health. Being healthy should be a goal for everyone to have. When's the last time you heard someone honestly say "I really want to die young!" "I am excited to get cancer!" or "All this GMO stuff is awesome, give me more chemicals please!"

It should be ALL about WHAT you eat, not just the marcos.
    lol no
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm not being "hard on myself" by avoiding foods that make me sick. I got sick of being sick. What I was eating led me to binge eating disorder, pre-diabetes, chronic pain, severe depression... on and on. Being sick all the time sucked. I suppose your logic dictates that I should have waited to have full blown diabetes before taking action...

For ME, what I eat absolutely matters, more than anything else...

Hear, hear!