Weighing food..

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've never had a package of chicken that tells me how many ounces it is...it's always variable. Where are people getting these packaged chicken that are 4 oz. I've found generally that my chicken breasts vary from 8-10 ounces and I buy organic. The package will say 4 oz is a serving, but I've never actually come across a whole chicken breast that small...like I said, usually double that or more.

To OP...SOP is to weigh meats before...I generally do, but I also eat a lot of stuff like pork tenderloin where I cook a whole 2 Lb tenderloin or whatever and cut it up later...impossible to weigh that before cooking.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    Nah, I usually just go by what it says on the package. For example, the chicken breasts I buy are, according to the package, 4 oz each. I trust what the package says. If it's +/- an ounce, I'm not worried about it.

This is what I had been doing, but wasn't sure if it's entirely accurate.
    Thank you :)

It may be, or it may not be. All I can say is I've had no problems losing weight and I certainly DON'T weigh everything I eat (I do, however, practice portion control with measuring cups). +/- an ounce or two isn't gonna matter at all.

In addition, you can also use the "Rule of the Palm" i.e. a single serving of meat (4 oz) should be about the size of your palm, so if you can palm it, you can eat it.

Well, it's working so far, and I really haven't been weighing food, just guessing oz's. I'd measure out the foods I could, but meats I never did.. just went off what was on the package.

Yep. Good idea. I'm not saying weighing food is a bad idea, it's a good idea. However a lot of the time it's not practical and it's a hassle...it's much easier to go by what the package says (and if you end up consuming an extra ounce or two, big deal). In addition, there are some people that take weighing food to an obsessive level i.e. "My serving MUST be *EXACTLY* 4.2347 ounces...otherwise I'll ruin my diet!!!" Said people need to relax.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    I've never had a package of chicken that tells me how many ounces it is...it's always variable. Where are people getting these packaged chicken that are 4 oz. I've found generally that my chicken breasts vary from 8-10 ounces and I buy organic. The package will say 4 oz is a serving, but I've never actually come across a whole chicken breast that small...like I said, usually double that or more.

To OP...SOP is to weigh meats before...I generally do, but I also eat a lot of stuff like pork tenderloin where I cook a whole 2 Lb tenderloin or whatever and cut it up later...impossible to weigh that before cooking.

I don't remember the brand of chicken that I buy but the package says: "serving size: 1 piece (approx. 4 oz)" I take "approx." to mean it could be either 3 oz or 5 oz, or maybe even 6 oz. Again, I'm not going to stress over 1-2 oz.

If it looks too large I'll just "palm it" and save the rest for later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I don't remember the brand of chicken that I buy but the package says: "serving size: 1 piece (approx. 4 oz)" I take "approx." to mean it could be either 3 oz or 5 oz, or maybe even 6 oz. Again, I'm not going to stress over 1-2 oz.

If it looks too large I'll just "palm it" and save the rest for later.

Mine say a serving size is 4 oz too...but the actual breast is usually around 8, which is a double serving. Not really a big deal for me at this point because I'm eating around 2700 calories...but could make a big difference for someone trying to lose. I get a lot of, "this isn't working for me" comments that come my way and 9 times out of 10 it is because those individuals are vastly underestimating their portions due to relying on a package that tells them a serving is 4 oz or whatever...but the actual product is double that or more. When I was losing, my wife an I routinely split chicken breasts to get 4 oz each.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh my food. Who has that much time! I use the Palm, Fist, Thumb method. This way it is customized to you specifically. A piece of protein the size, and thickness of your palm (or half for snack portion), One fist size fruit portion, Two fist size veggie portion, One fist size grain portion, and Thumb size (from base to tip) of healthy fat portion. This works for my husband (his size portion), my son his very own portion control size. Me and my right portion size. Since we are all different sizes you can customize :tongue: This also has taught my family how to control portions even when they are not at home where I control the meals! This is something my son can use his whole life to make healthy choices. However, if I had the time to measure I would say you weigh before you cook.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I do cooked as the entry I use for my chicken is for cooked chicken. Just keep an eye out for weather or not it indicates that.

BTW I wasn't weighing my meat and I was wayyy off (as in I overestimated everything--I found out once I bought a little scale). I'm glad to know I can have a little more meat than I was having.
  • sandrajc042883
    Options
    Nah, I usually just go by what it says on the package. For example, the chicken breasts I buy are, according to the package, 4 oz each. I trust what the package says. If it's +/- an ounce, I'm not worried about it.

This is what I had been doing, but wasn't sure if it's entirely accurate.
    Thank you :)

It may be, or it may not be. All I can say is I've had no problems losing weight and I certainly DON'T weigh everything I eat (I do, however, practice portion control with measuring cups). +/- an ounce or two isn't gonna matter at all.

In addition, you can also use the "Rule of the Palm" i.e. a single serving of meat (4 oz) should be about the size of your palm, so if you can palm it, you can eat it.

Well, it's working so far, and I really haven't been weighing food, just guessing oz's. I'd measure out the foods I could, but meats I never did.. just went off what was on the package.

Yep. Good idea. I'm not saying weighing food is a bad idea, it's a good idea. However a lot of the time it's not practical and it's a hassle...it's much easier to go by what the package says (and if you end up consuming an extra ounce or two, big deal). In addition, there are some people that take weighing food to an obsessive level i.e. "My serving MUST be *EXACTLY* 4.2347 ounces...otherwise I'll ruin my diet!!!" Said people need to relax.

Oh, agreed! It's not an obsession for me at all...
    I have a friend that carries her measuring cups with her, everywhere.. it's embarrassing, really.