Need seasoning ideas that arent salt!

Options
Happymom83
Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
So Im really trying to watch my sodium intake...and need some low sodium(yummy) seasonings ideas for:
burger
stir fry,etc
quinoa

Replies

• caseyg9888
    caseyg9888 Posts: 36
    Options
    Mrs. Dash
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try mrs. dash. It's good on everything like meats, veggies and really good on baked potatoes. No salt and a little potassium.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Garlic Powder and Black pepper.

If you are looking for a mix I don't have anything for you. But I add fresh garlic, black pepper and garlic powder on everything.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    There is not a type of Mrs. Dash that isn't great.
  • Ericsmom1991
    Options
    Lemon juice it works!
  • satxdc99
    satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Fresh herbs of all kinds. They are really easy to grow in pots. I grow my own basil, oregano, mint, thyme, rosemary, and stevia.
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has a season blend mix that I think is called 21 Season Salute or something to that affect (effect??). I can't be 100% sure but I think it's salt free.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has a season blend mix that I think is called 21 Season Salute or something to that affect (effect??). I can't be 100% sure but I think it's salt free.

Ha! You beat me to the punch. I just bought some today. I think it was around $2-3. Yep - it's salt free and it's the only thing that a friend of mine uses - her fiance had HBP and has to keep his sodium below 1500 mg/day.
  • Terriorized
    Options
    Good Marinades add great flavor, even in burgers! Also, flavored olive oils are incredible for adding flavor to pan searing meats like fish and chicken breasts. I steep olive oil with garlic and fresh herbs on low heat for @30 min. Once cooled I remove the garlic/herbs and mix them with smart balance for use on garlic bread, etc. Also, I find finely chopped red onions are a great way to add flavor, without adding sodium.
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    I love Penzey spices. My favorites are Rocky Mountain and Fox Point. You can search to see if there is a store near you or order online. I also like McCormick Grill Mesquite on fish, chicken, potatoes, and other vegetables.
  • danchr908
    danchr908 Posts: 6
    Options
    Best thing is to experiment but as previously said, garlic and black pepper pretty much to the job often times. Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce are nice as well!

If you're making stews, letting them simmer a bit longer releases more flavor. Also, bay leaves are great!
    If you are cooking meat, flip it over every 30 seconds to sear in the juices and let rest after cooking. Some pepper and choice of herbs go a long way. You could use a teaspoon(or a half) of honey to the meat while roasting/frying/braising to give it a slightly glazed flavor.
    Steamed vegetables retain more flavor.
    Vegetables, meats, fish and pretty much everything tastes better with some squeezed lemon juice on them. Lemon zest is a great way to flavor stews, salsas and such as well.

Another tip is when making salads or w/e, chives are very tasty. A very good alternative to onions as well. Onions are bulbs which means they have more calories stored than the grassy chive. Just remember to add them at the last minute or as a garnish to omelettes, stews or the like as it tends to lose its flavor if cooked for too long.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I love everything about food so I couldn't help but share my little rant on the subject.

Cheers!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    go to Penzeys.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Garlic is great! you can also use rosemary or other herbs! What I like to do is cut up chili peppers and mix them in my meat, along with a bit of onion and garlic powder or minced garlic. Grill those up and you have one tasty burger!! especially with some pepper jack or monterey jack cheese! mmmm. I want a burger now!

There are lots of herb mixtures out there that are great flavour enhancers for lots of different things! I'd say get some to try. I love to use garlic and rosemary. Thyme is great as well! Sage is good with poultry, especially turkey (i think...) Try fresh herbs as well, as they are also very great with flavours, better than their dried counter parts.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash Salt Free

Comes in tons of flavors. Zero calories, zero salt.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    for me, garlic, pepper, and onion powder. i also know people who swear by old bay seasoning on everything.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    If you have a Costco near by, their Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning 14.5 OZ has almost the same spices in it as Mrs Dash 2.5 OZ for a few dollars more. I mix it right into my hamburgers beef or venison. I don't miss salt @ all. Roasted ground garlic is good also and Crushed red pepper works well on anything. I then use lemon in place of salt. On burgers 1/4 avacado w/lemon replaces mayonaise for me. Basically, any spice you like will work. Just try and find the ones you like in bulk @ a lower price.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Really recommend Costco's organic 12 seasoning blend.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Cilantro, basil, parsley and i love mccormick chilli powder is awesome
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    mrs.dash.. i just started using it and it is AMAZING.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    img_3740_thumb.jpg?w=366&h=542