TDEE Contradiction.

Options
Had a cardiologist appointment today. He told me to eat 3000 calories on days that I lift, and 2500 on days that I don't... All the calculators say 2,300. Based on my height age and weight, should I follow his advice or stick with the calculator?

Height: 5'11
Weight: 140lbs

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    He wants to fatten you up you do not weigh very much and need to gain weight. To gain muscle you need to eat at a surplus.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I eat a surplus of about 300 calories on days that I lift, however I sometimes eat under TDEE on rest day's
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think I understand. You are 5'11" and ONLY 140 lb? For comparison, my husband is 5'9" and weighs about 145--and he thinks he's too skinny. That tells me that the TDEE would have you maintain your weight, but that is probably not what you need to do. You would want to bulk up, especially if you are a guy and lifting. So the numbers the cardiologist gave you would help you accomplish that. But be sure you actually work out hard and lift heavy, but do it right and safe. Make sure your form is good, then go for it! But yeah, if you just eat at maintenance, you won't progress much beyond a certain point.

Obviously, if you are eating at that level and find that you are putting on fat faster than you put on muscle, you may need to either adjust your macros or try eating a bit less. But then again, maybe you could just discuss it with the doctor again.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to your doctor. Or you could get a second opinion from another doctor or/and a registered dietitian.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You'll better promote anabolism with a constant surplus. 1200 cals over maintenance over the course of a week isn't going to really translate into much.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I eat a surplus of about 300 calories on days that I lift, however I sometimes eat under TDEE on rest day's

Try eating at a surplus every day (EDIT: As your doctor suggests). The day after lifting, when your muscles are growing, they need the food too.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would follow the docs advice as you look like you are wanting to gain weight/muscle
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    And you know, I just checked your food diary. Maybe it's time to eat something with your yogurt. That would help you reach your goal. Seriously. Eat more!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Looking at your stats and profile picture, I wholeheartedly agree with your doctor. Eat more. Eat above your TDEE. You need that muscle packed on, even if it comes with a little fat.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    He's telling you to eat over your TDEE in order to gain weight. That's not a contradiction.
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    I'm not saying that eating over TDEE is bad, I'm currently doing that on days that I lift. I was simply asking whether or not to go with the calculator "http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html" or his advice, which he just kinda threw out the 3,000 number. He wants my weight up to 175lbs
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your diary too and, while a different issue than the number of calories, I was wondering if you might consider branching out and adding some more variety. I didn't go very far back but I didn't notice much variety in what you are eating. I don't always do well at getting enough fruits and veggies which is why I noticed it but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt if you tried to have a little more.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    One of my sons (he's 20 now) started where you are. He did loads of online research, created his own lifting schedule and ate 3-4 thousand calories a day. He used protein powder and sometimes used malt too to help take in all the calories. He is now in the 150s, (which isn't very big, but....) and looks wonderful! Very muscular and the girls just go ga ga over him! lol
    I'd say eat...eat...eat!
    Good luck!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I think you're stressing in the wrong direction. You're 18 and your doctor wants you to gain weight. Eat what your doctor told you to eat and train, train, train. In a few years you'll be glad you did.
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    I do stronglifts 5x5 3 days a week, so my caloric needs aren't super high
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

You got it, you don't have to shove food down your throat to gain muscle mass, the idea is to eat as many calories as your body needs, and a bit more just for insurance.

shoving calories into you stomach at a greater rate cannot make you gain muscle size quicker, it's one of those things that doesn't happen fast, muscle is metabolically EXPENSIVE to produce, if you eat more than your +300 calorie surplus, your body is just going to do what it does best with excess calories...

I would focus on training more, making sure you are eating *slightly* above maintenance, and getting plenty of creatine. If you wanted to support more muscle growth, I have seen several eye raising studies that show that BCAA's *might* be more efficient at supporting muscle growth when compared to other sources of protein, and supplementing with BCAA's *may or may not* show a statistically significant increase in the rate of muscle growth.

I take both creatine and BCAA's and I have some go to protein powder just for when I'm not completely in the mood for chicken. I stay clear of the mass gaining testosterone goat weed supplements though, that and everything else is mostly snake oil.

When you're at a smaller weight, blessed with a fast metabolism, start with the big 4 guy lifts, and work in weights to supplement those lifts: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench press, Shoulder press. If you aren't increasing your 1 Rep Max every 6-8 weeks, you aren't lifting heavy enough, your progress is being slowed somewhere, and THEN I would take a second look at your diet.

It has to be a true test of your 1 RM, use a spotter, and TRY to fail =)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't have much knowledgable advice. I do have an 18 yr old son who I just got to start StrongLifts with me he doesn't care about calories or what types of foods he eats. My 19 yr old is thinking he wants to gain weight, but isn't committed enough yet to do anything about it.
    I would go with your doctor and make sure they are good foods. You should eat at a surplus everyday.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I do stronglifts 5x5 3 days a week, so my caloric needs aren't super high

You are 18 and underweight and your doctor is telling you to eat more. Listen to your doctor. As for worrying about how fast your body can put on muscle, I'm going to simply point out again that you're 18 and you're underweight. If you somehow manage to eat too much then you can always cut to get any extra fat off. I'd focus on bulking first before even thinking about that though.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that eating over TDEE is bad, I'm currently doing that on days that I lift. I was simply asking whether or not to go with the calculator "http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html" or his advice, which he just kinda threw out the 3,000 number. He wants my weight up to 175lbs
    From 140 to 175 lbs will require at least a 122,500 calorie surplus. If you're eating 300 extra 3 times a week, that would take you 136 weeks to get to 175.