How do I lose 50 lbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• nickip91
    nickip91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eat less, excercise more. It's all simple maths. Once you put your mind to it, you will begin to gain the willpower to say no to snacks and junk.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I weighed in at almost 200lbs after having my second child. No way could I lose 70 lbs!

However, I was able to lose just 5 lbs. So, I did that . . . 12 times.

I hope that helps. :)
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What I found to stop eating junkfood....
    Instead of saying "I will eat no junkfood ever again"
    Say "I will eat a salad every day".
    If you add good foods, you'll start craving them, even if at first you hate them :)

I love this. It's like the old trick 'Don't think of a horse!' and all you can do is think of a horse. So this is genius. Think of a salad.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do this, you will control yourself.

Use MFP to help. Log everything, keep within your limits, eat what you want but work it into your day or your week. Soon it will become the 'normal' way of life for you.

Good luck.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did.
    First I got my mind set that I WAS going to be able to do this.
    Looking at the total number I needed to lose was too much, so I broke it down. Small mini-goals - I'll lose 1 stone (14lbs), I'll get below 200 (45lbs) . I'll get to 4 stone (56lbs) etc.
    Nothing is banned - just not every day. if I feel like something junky, I'll plan for it - but not every day.
    I was stricter with myself at the start - it takes around 5 weeks to have something become a habit. They way I eat now is a habit and second nature to me. I find it's made life a lot easier from that point onwards.
    Keep an eye on calories - with a lot to lose you can work with a higher deficit at the start, just bump the calories up a bit once you lose some weight - recalculate with MFP and adjust amount to lose per week according to the scale below (I grabbed it from somewhere on here many months ago and I stick with it - it works and I have not stalled at all since I started in July last year).

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal, 
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal, 
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal, 

Just because the scale doesn't move, does not mean nothing is happening. Measure yourself weekly as well - often the measurements change and the scale doesn't - then vice versa. Clothing fit is the best guide in this process.

Last thing - it will not happen quickly, be patient & keep faith with yourself.

Edited to add this link to a blog post, as it is relevant - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/like-your-life-533489
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was 240 lbs. a year ago... and now I'm down to 195... I was going to the gym on a non regular basis and constantly snacking the wrong type foods etc. I really started getting serious a few months ago and I've lost at least 25 lbs during that time (18 lbs since joining MFP on April 15th of this year). I decided to get committed to the result of "getting back in shape" with my diet and exercise..... currently I have been to the gym 85 consecutive days (for cardio and weight lifting) . I have eliminated a ton of sodium and sugars from my diet, increased my vegetable consumption (fiber is one ingredient weight losers need a lot of). On ocassion I snack and/or go overboard on some foods... and I make sure I burn those extra cals off. I realize it took me some time to reach 240 lbs. and it will take me more time to get to my goal weight .... it's a reward I owe to myself... Good luck to you in your Quest.:smile::wink: :smile:
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    What I found to stop eating junkfood....
    Instead of saying "I will eat no junkfood ever again"
    Say "I will eat a salad every day".
    If you add good foods, you'll start craving them, even if at first you hate them :)

Great advice. Adding something to your diet is much easier for many of us than giving taking something away - and it works.