Should you lift weights if you are obese.

TashiaMH
TashiaMH Posts: 70 Member
Long story short. I'm 5'10 down to 320 from 365 back in October 2012. I joined a gym last week. I've hit a 2 month plateau. I'm intrigued by the weight lifting. I've read some good things about it. But I don't know if I should just worry about cardio right now, try to get a lot more fat off as I have a long way to go. Or if I should do both. I haven't found any perspectives out there for someone of my size. I'd like to be toner, stronger etc, but I'm just not sure if I need to worry about that now at my size. Thanks!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Yes you should lift weights however that has nothing to do with any weight loss plateau. Provided you are aren't putting yourself at any risk by lifting I would start sooner rather than later.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Both!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Hey congrats on the current progress, keep it up. I believe you should do some strength training. At the very least, it'll help you be better at your other activities and reduce your risk of injury. Getting stronger, rarely a bad thing.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Yes you should lift weights however that has nothing to do with any weight loss plateau. Provided you are aren't putting yourself at any risk by lifting I would start sooner rather than later.

thisthisthis!^^^
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Long story short: Yes.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    you do both.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232

thisthisthis!^^^
  • TashiaMH
    TashiaMH Posts: 70 Member
    Great thank you. Can't wait to start. :D
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Do both! You do not have to be skinny to lift weights.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Both.... I started in a Therapy pool doing cardio and resistance training and never looked back... but agree with SS that your plateau is another matter.... Best of Luck...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    both
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Assuming that you have no medical issues, your weight is largely irrelevent when it comes to weight training.
  • Do both. Simple. That will speed up your weight loss.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member

thisthisthis!^^^

x3!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    I was wondering the same thing, but more so because I'm still learning to eat properly and I know I'd have to change up my diet again for proper protein intake for lifting and I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I also know that if I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, I might not see the scale move as much and I'm still in that mindset where that number is still important to me (although I finally got my measurements).

I'd like to know how to gradually bring in heavy lifting and the appropriate diet to make it the most effective change.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 175 Member
    I started in the 360's and have been lifting heavy since and love it...I think you should try it out....it works for me. Mixing both strength training and cardio.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    We have an advantage over the skinny chicks, that's LOTS of lean body mass. It's HARD to build muscle. It's relatively easy to maintain it though. If you want to look ripped when you're at goal, start lifting :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Yes! You should if you want to:)