what does "eating clean" consist of?

Options
2»

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    for me personally: eating clean=minimally processed, ideally organic as much as possible. I even have cut out most dips, spreads, and dressings.

I'm starting to make my own pastas and sauces from scratch too. So much more tasty.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Some people say you should avoid anything with a really long list of ingredients, especially ones that have a lot of hard to pronounce names. Here's one that's sold in supermarkets around the world with little regulation:

Ingredients:

Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Carbon, Carotene, Valeine, Tocopherol, Lipids, Phylloquinone, Thyamine, Riboflavin, Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Pantothenic acid, Pyridoxine, Sorbit, Biotin, Sodium, Folic acid, Potassium, Ascorbic acid, Palmitic acid,
    Magnesium, Stearic acid, Calcium, Oleic acid, Manganese, Arginine, Linolic acid, Iron, Histidine, Linoleic acid, Copper, Isoleucine, Zinc, Leucine, Phosphorus, Lysine, Malic acid, Chloride, Methionine, Citric acid, Fluoride, Phenylalanine, Oxalic acid,
    Iodine, Thyroxine, Salicylic acid, Selenium, Tryptophine, Purines

What is this horrible food?

It's an apple.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Growing and harvesting your own fruit and vegetables, slaughtering your own meat, and drinking only water. Other than that, the rest of the food you buy on the market has gone through some processing of some sort.
    That's why I don't eat "clean".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm following many girls on instagram doing the "clean eating" thing. Mostly it means cooking all your meals from scratch and only using unprocessed ingredients like chicken or seafood and raw vegetables. While some can say the foods are still "processed", it is miles away from what they sell in most US supermarkets and restaurants. It's common sense really - as many raw ingredients as you can.

If you're on instagram, look them up and follow. PS Best inspirational clean eaters are Scandinavian ;)
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eating clean to me means eating real food, protein, fruits, veggies and healthy fats. Avoid over processed garbage food.

what about whey protein powder of pure protein bars or quest protein bars?

I would guess that is not considered clean. But if you looked you could probably find a protein powder that was closer to the "clean" standard. I know they have organic, but that doesn't = clean.