calling all insulin resistant...over 40...non pcos....

Options
zzcharge
zzcharge Posts: 42 Member
If you are over 40 years....non pcos....insulin resistant or pre diabetic....
Please share your weight loss experiences! How low carb do you go? How much do you exercise? What do you do for dessert? Snacks? What did you haveto do to consistently lose weight? Especially in the beginning.

Replies

• rwperez
    rwperez Posts: 13
    Options
    I was diagnosed 18 months ago with Type II diabetes. I was 48 yrs old and carried 335 lbs on my 6' frame. My doctor explained the relationship among insulin, carbohydrates, liver function, and inflammation. He put me on a 30 gram carbohydrate per day limit and said to focus on this only and worry about nothing else. I haven't exercised, and I haven't been perfect the whole time but I have kept my diet under 30 grams carbs 80% of the time since then. I have lost 60 lbs and the inflammation is gone.

Now at 50 years old and 275 lbs I have found that I must to keep carbohydrates below 30 grams and limit protein as well in order to continue weight loss. (Your body can convert protein into glucose if you eat more than is needed.) I hope this helps.
  • rwperez
    rwperez Posts: 13
    Options
    ...and I almost forgot...with the bulk of your calories coming from fats you will get to a point where you don't want desert or anything sweet for that matter. At this point desert would be a small piece of strong cheese and/or a glass of red wine. Once weaned off carbs your sweet tooth disappears.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Yep...less than 30 grams per day is what did it for me.

High fat, moderate protein & the rest in carbs in the form of veggies (usually a salad).

As long as I'm able to keep my blood sugar below 120mg/dl post meals and at a baseline of around 105 to 115 mg/dl casually throughout the day, the weight just falls off.

I've lost 20#'s since my diagnosis since mid-April of this year.

The only pitfall was maltodextrin. It jacks up my blood sugar & is in lots of things marketed as sugar-free.
  • hookilau
    Options
    ...and I almost forgot...with the bulk of your calories coming from fats you will get to a point where you don't want desert or anything sweet for that matter. At this point desert would be a small piece of strong cheese and/or a glass of red wine. Once weaned off carbs your sweet tooth disappears.

Annnnnd THERE IT IS. :drinker:
    That's exactly how it is for me tooooo!
  • TSTammy
    TSTammy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I'm 49 and have PCOS. I've been working with a trainer since late December and have only lost 25 in almost 7 months. She kept wanting me to focus on calories and kept telling me that I needed more carbs as I was working out 3 or more times a week. I knew I needed to go lo carb, but just had no idea as to how low to keep it. Thank you so much for giving me a ball park figure.
  • TSTammy
    Options
    Btw, as you can tell, my trainer has never worked with any with PCOS before.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 with mega insulin resistance. Yes, PCO (which is a pre-diabetic condition) to boot too.

To this point, I haven't done much in the way of exercise - only to work towards increasing steps. In April 2011, I was lucky to be doing 500-800 steps; now, it's usually between 2000-3000 and looking to up it soon.

As far as food goes, I really don't focus on carbs much. Just try to focus on lean healthy proteins and have found that the fat/carbs take care of themselves. The ratio it has on MFP is usually what I go by.

I also convert the data on my food journal to Weight Watchers points. MFP is usually a little on the low side, and WW is on the high side, so that's my range.
  • TSTammy
    Options
    Is this 30 grams of carbs per meal or per day?
  • hookilau
    Options
    Is this 30 grams of carbs per meal or per day?

I'm working with 30 grams max per day. I can only tolerate under 10 grams of carb per meal, I used my meter as a guide. rwperez says he also does 30 g per day...btw, I'm 44
  • JuliesInsulinResistance
    Options
    So glad to see this thread. I am IR, 54 and non pcos. I need to check to see what my carbs are set as since I see 30 is what several of you recommend. Thanks.