Does anyone else swell when they exercise?

mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I've noticed lately my hands get puffy when I go for my walks. I drink lots of water (12-16 glasses a day) usually 3 of those during my walk. I walk 30 min to 1 hour and usually go 5-9 km in that time.

I just wondered why this happens? if it's normal? I never used to swell.....but I do now.

Replies

• Yes! Everyone swells. EVERYONE. Even my triathalete friend (i asked). :)
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    You might look silly, but this will work to reduce the swelling in your hands on long walks.

Bend your arms at a 90 degree angle and really pump your arms as you walk. When you arm comes forward your hand should raise up pretty high (higher than your heart). Also don't ball your hands into fists. Leave them completely open and relaxed.

Working your arms that hard raises your heart rate and helps burn more calories too.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Do you bend your elbows and keep your hands about the level of your heart, or do they stay somewhere around the hip area as you walk? If they stay in the hip area, the swinging action of the arms may be forcing fluids down to your hands.
    You could counteract that by sometimes doing upward pumping motions with your fists, or forward pumping motions: start with elbows bent at sides and shoot one fist forward at a time (like a Karate pumping/jabbing move.)
    I hope that helps.
    I had all my lymph nodes removed from my right armpit (part of a larger surgical procedure) and I have a possibility of 'lymphedema' occurring (swelling of the entire arm). I have kept from having lymphedema by keeping my arms in motion with my hand at or above the level of my heart. It might work for you, too.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Found an article on it!

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25960.asp

My suggestion is in there!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Thanks everyone......I totally try and pump my arms and keep em up but lately I've been lazy and I totally have been keeping my arms more at waist level.....so that is the issue right there.

it's not a big deal or anything, my hands go back to normal fairly quick but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something dangerous!

thanks again.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    I noticed the other day when I was running that my hands swelled like twice there size!
  • kellihumphries
    kellihumphries Posts: 3 Member
    I do, but I am fair skinned and red headed. I have always swelled when walking, I dont swell as much doing other cardio that involve using my arms and hands a lot.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    After Zumba, I'm pretty sure my knees are attached to tree stumps & elephant feet!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    After Zumba, I'm pretty sure my knees are attached to tree stumps & elephant feet!

You really are hilarious !
    I'd love to be in a class with you.:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.