Weight Training and Cardio?

Options
ashleyrg
ashleyrg Posts: 85 Member
How much cardio should I be doing with weight training. Before I started weight training I was focusing on loosing weight so all i did was cardio. I started to do weight training two weeks ago and am wondering how much cardio should I be doing? Does it matter how much or is less better? I am trying to tone up and build muscle while hoping to shred the fat off eventually.

Tips would be nice :) Thank you.

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You don't just want to lose weight, you want to be fit as well. The CDC recommends that you jog/run at least 75 minutes per week, on top of your strength training.

Don't listen to the bull that says cardio eats muscle. Unless you're doing hours of cardio every day, there's no risk of that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You don't just want to lose weight, you want to be fit as well. The CDC recommends that you jog/run at least 75 minutes per week, on top of your strength training.

Don't listen to the bull that says cardio eats muscle. Unless you're doing hours of cardio every day, there's no risk of that.

Care to back up the claim that cardio does not eat away muscle?
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was told by a personal trainer to work on strength training at least 2 times a week for 40-60 mins - but that was based on my own goals... Muscle helps burn calories faster so weight training needs to be a key component of a weight loss program. Combined with that, at least 2 "slow burn" days; ie brisk walk for 60 mins and 2-3 days of cardio; ie running for 20-40 mins... It's worked really well for me - I'm getting great muscle tone (only at it for 4 months) and have lost 28 lbs (7 lbs to go), since Feb 7th.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

For me the proof is in the pudding. My wife, who is the most muscular woman at my gym, runs 10K three days a week. I don't see any sign of her shrinking.

Heavy cardio requires carbs, which bodybuilders tend to avoid. If your diet is skewed heavily toward protein to the point where you have very little carbs, your muscle will quickly run out of fuel to burn then switch to consuming glycogen. When glycogen runs out then it will start eating muscle. Running half an hour every other day is not nearly intense enough to use up your glycogen stores.

For the average person it takes two hours of moderate exercise (like running) to deplete his Glycogen stores.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100226214350.htm
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options

Sure:
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/10-ways-lose-muscle
    Point #3 talks about how you have to amp up your cardio for it to burn muscle, specifically mentioning too many consecutive calories burned, sessions that last too long etc. The takeaway that's clear to anyone with a 6 grade grasp of logic is that some cardio is totally fine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/554481-when-does-the-body-start-to-use-muscle-tissue-for-energy/
    This article specifically mentions that muscle catabolism happens when you run out of glycogen and still place a demand on your body. As anybody with even a rudimentary understanding of fitness knows, cardio uses a mix of fat and glycogen for energy. If you have glycogen, it won't burn muscle according to this article.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/losing-muscle-cortisol.html
    One of the points made in this article is "Limit Cardio" specifically mention "too much cardio" and to remember that "cardio should be combined with a good diet." Once again, rudimentary logic allows us to deduce that "some cardio" is not "too much cardio". Therefore, it's not cardio that's the problem, but rather the excess.

http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle-or-fat/
    This person did an 8 week study documenting what happened. There are three things mentioned as factors in muscle loss. Muscle is the only source of energy available.You are not consuming enough protein. Over training. Notice that cardio is not a factor listed in any of these.

Do you need more?

Now, is it possible that cardio can inhibit muscle growth from heavy lifting due to not letting muscles rest? Sure, that's possible. After all, muscle growth only happens when they are at rest. Cardio is certainly not rest. But that's not the same thing as eating muscle.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    How much cardio should I be doing with weight training. Before I started weight training I was focusing on loosing weight so all i did was cardio. I started to do weight training two weeks ago and am wondering how much cardio should I be doing? Does it matter how much or is less better? I am trying to tone up and build muscle while hoping to shred the fat off eventually.

This really depends on you and how fit you are. The risk of doing too much cardio on off days is you don't get enough rest, and you end up exhausted or "over-trained." People often underestimate how hard a heavy weight training workout is, and then they don't give themselves enough time to recover.

If you're in good shape already, you might be able to handle a decent amount of cardio on the off days. Just don't over-tax already tired muscles, and make sure you're eating enough to fuel all this physical activity.

I'm assuming you're doing a heavy beginner weight program, like SS/SL or NROL4W. If you're lifting lighter weights with higher reps, or if you're not increasing your weights, then your weight program may not be all that strenuous and you might be able to handle lots more cardio.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I do 32 minutes daily of cardio (elliptical) and strength training 3 days a week; pushups (regular ones) :smile: every day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Run all the things, lift all the things.

Keep your trigger finger strong to eliminate brosci with 165 grains of discourtesy.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

For me the proof is in the pudding. My wife, who is the most muscular woman at my gym, runs 10K three days a week. I don't see any sign of her shrinking.

Heavy cardio requires carbs, which bodybuilders tend to avoid. If your diet is skewed heavily toward protein to the point where you have very little carbs, your muscle will quickly run out of fuel to burn then switch to consuming glycogen. When glycogen runs out then it will start eating muscle. Running half an hour every other day is not nearly intense enough to use up your glycogen stores.

For the average person it takes two hours of moderate exercise (like running) to deplete his Glycogen stores.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100226214350.htm

Woot! :drinker:
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Interesting. How are glycogen stores rebuilt when a person is in the fasting state? I assume that's a common situation when someone is dieting.

Or are glycogen stores simply lower during dieting so you go to fat/muscle breakdown sooner?