Milk does

Options
Does anyone have any good suggestions or tips on houeshold things I can use to strength train with? All i can really think of is using milk jugs as weights. i feel kind of dumb asking, but i would like to be able to do SOMETHING even if i cant do a good work out for some reason. Any suggestions welcome = )

Replies

• punkrockpickles
    punkrockpickles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I apologize for the title it was going to say "milk does a body good" but my 1 year old decided to post it before I was done LOL
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Your one-year old may be the best weight you can use. Your child is totally thrilled with being lifted above you and carried around and danced with and laughed with. My 5yo grandson is my aerobics coach (tag, tickle chases, being Jedi warriors, etc.)

When your child is asleep, soup cans, water bottles (20oz?), and other groceries can help.
  • punkrockpickles
    Options
    Your one-year old may be the best weight you can use. Your child is totally thrilled with being lifted above you and carried around and danced with and laughed with. My 5yo grandson is my aerobics coach (tag, tickle chases, being Jedi warriors, etc.)

When your child is asleep, soup cans, water bottles (20oz?), and other groceries can help.
    Yeah the babies do give you a good workout! Thanks for the suggestions!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I bought a kettlebell at Target for about 25 bucks... I know it's kinda pricey and it sounds like you are being creative (which I need to be more of)... :)
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Try putting 5 pound bags of flour or sugar in a garbage bag and tie the end in a knot and grab one with each hand and lift (hope that made sense :bigsmile: You can also hang thenm over each side of a broom handle and voila your own weight bar.
  • punkrockpickles
    Options
    I bought a kettlebell at Target for about 25 bucks... I know it's kinda pricey and it sounds like you are being creative (which I need to be more of)... :)
    Yeah i would like to find something to use for free but i will probably eventually splurge on something store bought lol and i will more than likely get it at target! lol
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Everybody's into reusable grocery bags. Put whatever you want in them (books, groceries, even sand!) and lift. Built in handles make it easy, too! :)
  • punkrockpickles
    Options
    Try putting 5 pound bags of flour or sugar in a garbage bag and tie the end in a knot and grab one with each hand and lift (hope that made sense :bigsmile: You can also hang thenm over each side of a broom handle and voila your own weight bar.
    Oh! good idea! I knew groceries had to serve another purpose lol
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Canned goods make good weights... and definitely use the 1 year old! Carry him around, "Superman fly" him around, lift him over your head (just don't throw him!), dancing... lots of things to do there! :) Don't forget about body weight exercises and stretches -- crunches, pushups, calf raises, squats, etc. -- no equipment needed there!
  • punkrockpickles
    Options
    Everybody's into reusable grocery bags. Put whatever you want in them (books, groceries, even sand!) and lift. Built in handles make it easy, too! :)
    I like it... it beats emptying the diaper genie (which is also a workout, but doesnt smell so great LOL) I will have to try that! Thanks for all the tips everyone!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am seriously laughing at the diaper genie post! Ha! Love the great ideas...aside from the diaper genie... hahahahaha. Gotta try these out. Thanks for starting this topic. Love it!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Yeah, I think I'd skip exercising if it relied on a diaper genie. Whew!!
  • punkrockpickles
    Options
    HA! Im glad that this is helping to give you ideas of things to do around the house too! (minus diaper genie) Im getting lots of good info here! =)
  • annasid78
    annasid78 Posts: 99
    Options
    5 or 10 lb bags or taters. Coffee cans that have the handle full of whateever... water, sand, coffee, etc...
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions above, I like to do exercises like crunches, leg lifts, squats and wall pushups, you don't need any weights and if you do a little of these twice a day it can have quite an effect. I was doing them twice a day at work and it really breaks up the day. I have been taking a break from it since I am doing the wii active 30 day challenge but I think I am going to start them up again today!
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    Options
    Push ups and chair dips...hardly any equipment needed, just a chair