New girl on the block

Options
Kkmama
Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to get myself figured out here. Unfortunately I am not new to this game of trying to lose weight and get healthy. But I am back at it.
I have a question... do I have to eat my exercise calories. I was thinking calories in and calories spent is what will lose the weight. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
kkmama

Replies

• Kkmama
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to get myself figured out here. Unfortunately I am not new to this game of trying to lose weight and get healthy. But I am back at it.
    I have a question... do I have to eat my exercise calories. I was thinking calories in and calories spent is what will lose the weight. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    kkmama
  • celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I joined a week ago and I had the same question. It would seem that eating my exercise calories along with my daily calorie intake would be defeating the purpose of this whole thing but I've learned from several people on this site that this is simply NOT true! You need to definitely eat all of your exercise calories earned so your body won't go into that starvation mode and you won't see a loss, but a possible gain. MFP has already calculated your net caloric intake which accounts for calories that are needed for simple daily activities so any extra calories you earn through exercise is simply "free food". Eat those extra calories and you will see results! It's worked for me. I've lost 4 pounds in the last week and I've been enjoying those extra cals.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou: It's suggested that you eat the calories you burn off. I have all along and it seems to work out okay. I don't burn up as much calories as most on here , but if I can burn 120 to 200 calories that helps me have extra calories to eat. Comes in handy some times. I'm not sure but I believe that if you don't then your body thinks its starving and it stores everything to fat and you don't loose the weight. I am set to loose 2lbs a week and that is pretty close to what I have been doing. Hope this helps.
  • Kkmama
    Options
    Thanks Celeste and AuntKaren!

I will eat my extra cals. I seem to go over my protein grams/day but not eat enough of the other required amounts. I am just new here, two days so I am still feeling my way around.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you!
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    Thanks Kkmama for the question and welcome:flowerforyou: . It was a question that I had in the back of my mind. I , like you thought calories spent =weight loss. I too am recently new to mfp and I am new to the life change of weight loss and maintenance. I love the support system and information available here. I learn something new each day that helps me to reach my goal from mfp members. Thanks to Celeste and AuntKaren, I also understand more on the subject of "starvation-mode":happy: