Pull ups anyone?

Options
kts3639
kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
I wanted to incorporate pull ups into my lifting routine since it is another great full body exercise, but I can not for the life of me, do a chin up, let alone a pull up. So I found this video on how to be able to do pull ups made by Scooby of Scooby's Workshop. It is a really basic, has you progress in stages, and helps you to work up to it. I just started doing it, but I am hoping by the end of it that I will be able to do some pull ups! This may have already been posted before, but I figure it couldn't hurt to post it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I hate them...I mean I really hate them...no I really really hate them....

But I do them.

I started off doing negatives for a week, then alternating 1 negative, 1 pullup for a week, and now I'm following the 20 or 30 pullups challenge to see if I can get to 30 consecutive pullups....

I'm up to 6-7 consecutive, good form (no kipping, jerking) controlled pullups. But man they kick my @ss everytime.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can do modified but not full ones. Mostly there's no opportunity to do them. Even at the gym there's only a couple of pullup locations. It's just not something people really do a lot in "real life".
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm super stoked that I can now do 2 consecutive chin-ups on a good day and 1 pull-up lol... never been able to do them before.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started working on pull ups with negatives and australian pull ups to start (find a bar low to the ground and pull yourself up keeping your back and legs straight with feet on the floor....it almost looks like a reverse push up), plus using the assisted pull up machine and doing lat pull downs. I'm up to 3 pull ups with good form in a row now.

I just started doing a 10 day Pull-Up Push routine (http://www.military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/pullup-push-workout) developed by a former Navy SEAL that does this:

Rotate for ten days from odd day workout options and even day pull-up supplement, then take three-four days off from doing ANY pull-ups. Test on day 14 or 15.

Odd Days (Supersets OR Pyramids):
    Supersets (repeat 10 times):
    - Pullups - max
    - Pushups - 20
    - Dips - 5-10
    - Abs of choice - 30

Pyramids (see PT Pyramid article above)
    - Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 rest with
    - Pushups - 2,4,6,8,10,12,14....2
    - Abs of choice - 5,10,15,20,25,30,35....5
    - Alternate with NO rest from one exercise to the next

Even Days:
    25-50 pullups anyway you can throughout the day or in a single workout. Do small repetition sets until you reach 25- 50 pull-ups.
  • REDROBE_69
    REDROBE_69 Posts: 48
    Options
    OH BUT YES!! Pull ups are the ultimate truth, for building your LATS. This exercise will make your back look like a COBRA. Keep it up and you WILL see...trust me, you'll love it. My favorite of all exercises, and I love working on everything, but when it comes to pull ups...:drinker:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I can do modified but not full ones. Mostly there's no opportunity to do them. Even at the gym there's only a couple of pullup locations. It's just not something people really do a lot in "real life".

This is sad given our evolutionary heritage.

All of our relatives in the animal kingdom do A LOT of pullups, every single day. It is arguably more important to them than walking.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks so much for that video link! I've been trying to work up to it on my own, but it will be great to have a plan.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I tried the Scooby programme, but I managed to break my pull-up bar trying to do negatives, so that's out for me! I've been doing inverted rows, trying to strengthen the upper body muscles and gradually build up to it. There's an assisted pullup machine at my gym, so I've been using that too. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but hopefully I'm doing myself some good by trying. My inspiration is Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2! (I think she did chin-ups rather than pull-ups, but I'd be over the moon if I could do one chin-up, ever!).
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

This is sad given our evolutionary heritage.

All of our relatives in the animal kingdom do A LOT of pullups, every single day. It is arguably more important to them than walking.

I was thinking this, but you put it into words - thank you.

Six months ago I could tense my back and arms in a chin-up hang, but having used reistance bands hung from a pull-up bar to assist my reps, I can now do around 3 sets of two and working on increasing.

- any pulling movement you do in "real life" is enhanced by doing pull-ups. It's an essential - and a great incentive for losing excess fat!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I do them on an assisted pull up machine at the gym.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Worked on them last night at my strength training session. Did three sets of assisted and three sets later of modified, with lots of push/pull stuff in between. I will get there one of these days!

I either need to lose 50 pounds (not going to happen!) or get stronger...
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I do 5 sets of 6 reps of pull ups...couldn't do one a month ago.

But they are still a b*tch.