How long do you do cardio?

So I just went back to the gym. Again. I had been in an off and on relationship with it. I spend at least two hours at the gym five days a wel. And I do an hour of cardio with two machines. The treadmill and bike. I walk on the treadmill at 5.5-6.2 speed 25-30 minutes. And I bike at moderate effort for 30 minutes. I also walk for about 40 minutes five days a week aside from the treadmill at the gym. Then I do strenght training. I want to know if I should do cardio more or if I should stay with what I'm currently doing. It has been a month and I think I have lost 1 kilo. I also lost over 4 inches off my waist.

So, what machines do you use and how long do you do cardio?

Replies

• yannipoo
    yannipoo Posts: 1 Member
    Hey there! I am just getting back into a semblance of a gym routine. Since Feb 2013 I've consistently go 2-3 I aim for 4 times a week for no longer than 1.5 hours. I'll do elliptical for 40 or so and weight train.
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    40 minutes to an hour on the elliptical and then about 45 minutes of weights
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Um, no. Don't do more cardio. If anything, do less cardio and more lifting.

I think one hour of workout daily is the max you should aim for including lifting... unless there's some specific endurance event you're training for. I just think more than that isn't sustainable in the long term. My workouts include:

1 hour tempo run
    1 hour full body strength training (5-8 rep range)
    2 30-minute upper body strength training sessions
    1 or 2 30-60 minute martial arts workouts for cross-training
    45-60 minute interval/hill run
    1 long run of up to 2 hours
    1 or 2 full rest days a week
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    I do weight training 3 times a week for at least an hour each time. I do 30 minutes of interval cardio on 3 other days (alternate). It depends on your goals. If you want to maintain as much muscle as possible while on a calorie deficit, do more lifting and less cardio. I know some people love doing cardio, but personally I'm not too crazy about it. :laugh:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    cardio 60 minutes a day no gym no machines
    walking and low impact aerobics plus crunches at home
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    You WALK at over 5mph???? That's a full jog for me!

I do 15 minutes of cardio three days a week. i spend most of my gym time lifting heavy weights.
  • SheShe_13
    SheShe_13 Posts: 30 Member
    I do 60 min of cardio and about 30 min of strength training. My cardio consists of the elliptical and stationary bike, 30 min a piece. I change it up to surprise my body and sometimes only do 30 min of cardio and 30 min of strength training. I make an effort to lift weights every time I go to the gym!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    I spend an hour on the treadmill 4 days a week. 3 days I run for 40 minutes, with a 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down. The other day I walk at 4 mph for 60 minutes.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    For as long as it takes me to burn 500 calories (as per my HRM)
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    About 20 minutes of bodyweight exercises done HIIT style a few times a week.

Sometimes a half hour on the treadmill or walking outside.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    If you want to lose weight and you are doing a massive amount of cardio, your weight will eventually plateau and you may find yourself not losing weight...the body eventually adjusts to the cardio and will continue to store fat...that is why resistance training is so essential. It jolts the metabolism into overdrive. Another beneficial thing to weight loss is shaking up your cardio...circuit training is awesome for jolting the metabolism. Walk one day, do an aerobic class another. The body needs change, it loves to adapt.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    15-20 minutes HITT 2x a week...and that's enough~
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    4 days of running with a minimum of 60 mins unless they are long runs then it is quite longer...cross train on elliptical as well same time 60 mins though I have gone as long as 2hrs on it
  • 15 to 25 minutes - 2 to 5 miles as fast and hard as i can or 15 minutes of HIIT
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    I do cardio (30 min - 45 min) 2 x week and strength training/lifting 4 days a week.

8488541.png
  • YesungNips
    YesungNips Posts: 2
    You WALK at over 5mph???? That's a full jog for me!

I do 15 minutes of cardio three days a week. i spend most of my gym time lifting heavy weights.

Yeah. I consider it a walk since I think it's a little bit too slow if I jog at that speed and plus I can't stand running that much. Haha
  • ndegwa
    ndegwa Posts: 169
    i tend to do about:

15 mins inclined jog (6mph)
    25 mins spin/cycle.
    15 row

burns up 500 cals easy.

gonig to get back into weights again soon as well to maintain what little i have left!
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    I was doing 90 mins cardio but now im doing 60mins weights and 30 mins HIIT
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I walk for at least an hour each day. Other than that, I do two or three vo2 max kettlebell workouts per week. Those are 20-30 minutes.

ETA: I lift heavy 3x per week for 1-1.5 hours each session.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Very little. Like 15 mins after a workout slowly working my way down to none. Almost time to maintain