Stitch in my side while running

Options
2»

Replies

• fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to other people. That is why there's a word for it.

Haha you had me in stitches... of the good kind :)

Today's mission is good form while running. I guess that should work.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    Hydration and exhaling when you're landing on your right foot. Work on your breathing, the "side stitches" will magically disappear.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to other people. That is why there's a word for it.

Haha you had me in stitches... of the good kind :)

Today's mission is good form while running. I guess that should work.

lol - they disappear with conditioning. They're nothing to worry about.
  • fShaw86
    Options
    So while running today, I tried all the techniques you lovely people mentioned. I found out that monitoring my breathing helped a lot. Sure I was breathing hard, but the stitch didn't appear today!! Managed to up my sprints from 30 second intervals to 60 seconds at 7mph (which is a huge feat for me lol).

I love everyone on MFP, you guys all rock!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to run and have found that when I get a stitch it is because my breathing has gotten shallow. Take a few complete, deep breaths and see if that helps. It always works for me. And I don't even have to stop.

^ This.

Try and breathe out for 4 or 6 or even 8 strides if you can... a few times in a row. Slowly push out all your air as many times as you can handle while still running. It will go away.
  • fShaw86
    Options
    I LOVE to run and have found that when I get a stitch it is because my breathing has gotten shallow. Take a few complete, deep breaths and see if that helps. It always works for me. And I don't even have to stop.

^ This.

Try and breathe out for 4 or 6 or even 8 strides if you can... a few times in a row. Slowly push out all your air as many times as you can handle while still running. It will go away.

Thanks! I tried this today, works like a charm :) Today's focus while running wasn't speed or distance, but just controlling my breathing LOL. Worked though, didn't it? :D