Do you know your end Date??

Options

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've passed up my end date but haven't hit my goal...YET. I just keep resetting the expectation in my head. Now, I'm hoping by end of year I'll be at goal. Things are moving quite slowly on these last 20 lbs.
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't know the end date because I don't know the day that I will die. I don't look at this as a weight loss "event" with an end date, but rather, a significant change in my lifestyle that will last forever.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    There is no end date; to succeed you must make a lifestyle change. Those who look at this as a temporary thing to meet a goal will ultimatley put it back plus a couple extra for good measure.

I don't understand this mentality. Making healthy choices for life is obviously important but denying that weight loss is a temporary phase of a healthy life doesn't make sense. I'm hardly going to eat at a deficit forever. I'm going to go from eating at a deficit to eating at maintenance at some point. The only way this wouldn't be true is if I was eating at the maintenance level for my new weight (in which case, I could expect to hit my goal weight in something like 3 years).
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Rather than focusing on just fat loss, I decided to start paying attention to performance and strength goals. Weight loss isn't linear, and doesn't always fall off the way you think it should. I figure that rather than setting goals that depend on something that may or may not happen no matter how well I focus on the numbers, I'd hold on to my sanity much easier if my goals were always 1 more set, 5 more pounds of weight on the bar, or 30 seconds off my last time. Then I'd never settle for my limits and constantly be in a state of improvement.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Not exactly an "END" date, but I'm losing weight to look my best at my daughter's wedding in Dec.'13. That's a goal date. But my plan is to eat properly and exercise to stay healthy until my own "end date".
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No end date, but I think it's good to keep adjusting your goals according to your progress and what you want to see. A lot of people start on MFP with magic number in their head as a weight loss goal but I think once you learn more about eating the right foods, being active and how your body reacts to those things your initial goals may change.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    When i'm dead
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have an estimate of when I might reach it, but being that it's 6 months away, that could be extended easily. due to many different circumstances. all that really matters is that I keep making progress. stronger, each week, each cycle, without injuring myself or getting sick for as long as possible. along the way, i'll be losing fat. but the process would be the same cutting or bulking. I'm completely addicted to weightlifting. I expect to be in love with it for decades, hopefully the rest of my life. When I'm done smashing this goal, I'll make a new goal. keep training, keep learning and improving. time is going to pass whether I train or not. I want to make the most of each workout. I only get one chance to do it well.
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hope to have reached my goal by September and continue from there.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't know my end date. This whole thing is really just a big experiment to me to try and understand nutrition and my body better. I still haven't figured out what works for me for losing weight vs. maintenance vs. putting on a few lbs of muscle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I plan to diet and exercise until the day I die, so I do not know the end date. I hope it is far in the future, though.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep the fitness lifestyle up forever...
    But I hope I am at or close to my weight goal Next spring (1 year)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I thought I had an end date when I had 60 pounds to lose. I wanted to get to goal in 6 months. It didn't happen. Instead, it took closer to 3 years. When I reached that goal, I realized I did it wrong because I was skinny and flabby instead of trim and firm. But I had other things come up to worry about. Then, when that was over, I started thinking about fitness and strength. My goal now is to reach as close to my genetic potential as I can at whatever age I happen to be, which means the goal will change every year.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an end date. No need to worry cause, everybody will die.

tumblr_lotxf4Dj9m1qlfu1ho1_500.gif
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Rather than focusing on just fat loss, I decided to start paying attention to performance and strength goals. Weight loss isn't linear, and doesn't always fall off the way you think it should. I figure that rather than setting goals that depend on something that may or may not happen no matter how well I focus on the numbers, I'd hold on to my sanity much easier if my goals were always 1 more set, 5 more pounds of weight on the bar, or 30 seconds off my last time. Then I'd never settle for my limits and constantly be in a state of improvement.

^^THIS is a great answer, and also how I've changed my own goals/way of thinking. Fat loss comes along with improved fitness/strength, and focusing on strength goals are a much healthier, very positive way of working towards changing my body. My brain likes this concept much better than "must get this fat off me must get this fat off me", etc.
  • emiwingwalker
    Options
    I think your wall method is a great idea! If you can't hide from it and you see it as a reminder it'll be a great tool to keep you on track. I think a lot of us easily forget or want to forget our weight and slip up often because we think we're doing good. This will be a great reminder for you that you have a goal and a date you need to reach it by
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My original End Date was March 13th 2013. I stared on Jan 2nd 2012 and wanted to lose 100 pounds by my birthday of this year. I am currently hovering around the 95 pounds lost point so my end date is when it happens, if it happens. I am working on taking those last 5 pounds off but they don't want to go and I am able to run 10ks without slowing down to a walk, I've taken a FOOT off my waist and I'm healthy and happy, the 100 is just a number at this point and I'm not stressing over it.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think for those of us with over 100lbs to lose having small goal dates help. If I were to figure losing a pound a week (on average) my end date would be 3 years from now. That can feel frustrating and impossible. If I don't make any calendar goals then I still feel like "this will take me years and I'll never get there." I think setting goals like I would like to lose 10 lbs by the 4th of July or something like that can help motivate. Well, at least it motivates me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me there is no end date. I passed my goal weight months ago but now I'm working on body composition. When I hit my goal I'll find a new one.

ETA: I have my doubts about setting deadlines as a good strategy. I'm sure it helps some people but it seems like a lot of pressure to put on yourself, especially since stalls often happen. You're unlikely to lose exactly the amount you plan for the entire time you're losing. Just don't set yourself up to be disappointed if you don't make your goal, and be proud of whatever progress you've made in that time.

This, exactly.

I'm never going to be "done." I can be happy with my weight and how I look, but maintaining is every bit as much work as losing. And I still want to be able to run faster or further, lift heavier, etc.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    There's a saying.... "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!" The same holds true for weight loss! Weight loss NEVER goes according to how you want it to go.

I tend to be a planner with an all or nothing attitude. "Planning" my weight loss has shot me in the foot many times. As such, I'm now just taking this day by day, step by step. If I put a date on it, it would only end in frustration and disappointment. Not to mention - life happens. This past month is the perfect example for me. I spent 3 weeks trying to close on a house and move. It really messed with my ability to log and follow my eating plan. Instead of stressing over it, I just went with the flow. Had I been on a schedule, it would have added additional stress to an already stressful environment - which probably would have resulted in COMPLETE failure (e.g., quitting altogether).