Fudging numbers

Options
Anyone else out there that "fudges" numbers?? For example, if at the end if the day I have a negative calorie count, in other words: I ate too much, I will go back and tweak my food/exercise amounts to achieve the daily goal. I know I'm basically lying to myself because I'm the only one who's looking, but I can't stand to see that I've had a bad day. How can I stop myself from over-eating so that I don't feel the compulsion to fudge my numbers??

Replies

• torymichaels
    Options
    Nope, have to say I've not been tempted. I'm big against lying and lying to myself (or MFP) doesn't help me. It hurts me ultimately. Totally not worth it for me.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to do it when I first started using MFP - but to be honest I'm trying really hard not to this time! For me it felt like I was losing at something and I really hate losing so I tried to hide it from myself.

If you're finding it hard to stay under your current target maybe you've set it too low. Alternatively since the measurements are not exact maybe overestimate a little... you might find you feel better about things if you're 20 or even 100 calories over.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I record my calories as accurately as possible. It helps me be mindful and accountable. Sometimes it's not pretty, but I own it and try to do better the next day.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    No there isint any point I try to stick to 1600 cals a day and if I dont I dont and thats it!
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I did but after going through periods of not losing weight Im more honest with myself. I have to make this site work for me otherwise there is no point in using it.
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    Just record the truth. You might find looking back that you lost just as much on that bad week as you did on a good week and you can adjust your plan accordingly.

I also recommend if you are struggling to keep your cals down consider the foods you are eating, avoid refined carbs as they are not satisfying and make you hungry. Go for lots of salad and green veg that packs a lot of space for little cals.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I get so afraid of not being correct that I ADD extra calories even when I know exactly that I have the right serving size and caloric amount. It's just head games we all put ourselves through. It's hard, but we need to be true to ourselves!!!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get tempted. I think by sheer not knowing the exact grams/portion size I've had I'll have the odd discrepancy. When I go out though, I grin and bear it and log it. It's good to have a realistic view of how much I've over-eaten by, so I know how hard to work in the gym the next day.

Don't fudge your figures, you'll regret it.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    why on earth would you lie to yourself like that? I don't see the point. At all.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i used to do it. I dont know why because i was only lying to myself. Then I started telling myself that. "Your only hurting yourself, no one else. And i started really trying to be honest with what i ate. My biggest problem now is that, for some reason, i think if i have a bite here and a bite there, i can get away with it. But it adds up!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    As you say, you are only lying to yourself. Be honest and log what you are eating, look closely at that and think how you could eat better to meet your goals. Perhaps the problem lies with the type of food you chose rather than the amount you are eating. You don't need to be hungry to keep your calories down to a sensible level if you eat good food.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    No. If i am over on a day, I attempt to eat a little better or exercise a little more the next day. It comes out in the wash, so to speak:)
  • HollyLyn9
    HollyLyn9 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to tell MFP everything I ate, and that got very annoying, but I did loose 40 lbs and counting since January. Now, I only report “man-made” calories: margarine, bread, cheese etc. I have stopped logging entries that consist of veggies or fruit. They are naturally low in calories, so why record them? I’m not going to gain extra weight from having a cucumber. It is also very eye opening to see how quickly a slice of bread, 1 tsp of margarine, jam etc really adds up, so I make a point of having less of these foods.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Never. You are only cheating yourself when you don't take full accountability for your food intake and your calorie expenditure (or lack thereof). Everyone ends up in the red at some point. Not a big deal. You just move on and try to do better the next day. Be accountable for the good days, along with the bad.

Lying about what--and how much--you are eating won't help you form a healthier relationship with food or with yourself.
  • markysan
    markysan Posts: 33
    Options
    Yes, done it now and again. Nothing major, but its that little devil on the shoulder moment.

Helped psychologically for me, even though it wasn't the right thing to do.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    have to admit, i have, on occasion, been tempted. but i try to remember it's only hurting me, and tomorrow's a new day, i can do better. then i look at why i ate so much, usually because i didn't exercise that day.

it also helps that my husband is on mfp, too, and he always errs on the side of too many calories...then again, he's a big guy and is allowed over 2000 calories, so he can eat pretty much whatever he wants.

then, on the days i tell myself "he ate 5 of 'those', why can't i?" i remember he's about twice my size, and if i'm going to cheat, cheat, but know i'm hurting myself in the long run.

some days it's a real internal battle...but, again, usually on the days i didn't exercise. :grumble:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hustlers of the world beware there is a mark you can not hide that is the mark on the inside.

That being said someone wrote on MFP "what you eat in private shows in public."

The program will only work for you if your honest. Like any tool it works best if used properly.

Good luck
  • natsthename
    natsthename Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nope, because it won't help me in the long run. It's tempting some days, but I just don't do it.
  • Marie_25
    Marie_25 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If your going to fudge your numbers you may as well not bother logging anything. The idea of logging is that it makes us accountable for what is really going on, not what we fool ourselves in our head is going on. Be honest, and use those red numbers as motivation to try harder. And look at your weekly goals too, you may be over in a day but not for the week, it helps. Good luck x
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well said! I put in the numbers as they are and try to keep things balanced as I eat throughout the day.