Monster Free Day 1

Options
Hey all!

For approximately 2 years I have drank between 2-4 Blue Lo-Carb Monsters each day. Today I will be Monster free! 

If any of you have experience being mentally and physically addicted to Monsters and have stopped or would like to stop, please share your experience.

I plan on giving an update a couple times each day in case there is someone on here that might find it helpful.

-Dougie

Replies

• dlecorchick
    dlecorchick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So it's aroud 1pm and I would typically be cracking open my 2nd Monster for the day. All I can think about is how AMAZING one would be. A slight headache but overall my mood is pretty good.

Anyone else have experience with this?
  • hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to drink at least two cups of coffee during the day, and I REALLY missed it when I gave it up. But now I don't even think about it :)

It'll suck at first, but the good news is you'll probably notice a jump in your fitness level pretty quick since you're cutting out all that sugar. Good luck!
  • dlecorchick
    Options
    @Hardyjessicag - Thanks. I'm still drinking a few cups of coffee throughout the day though.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've never been addicted to Monster drinks, but I did have a severe caffeine addiction. I would drink coffee from the minute I got up until almost bed time, every single day (for years). One day I realized that this caffeine was doing me no good and causing dehydration, so I stopped cold turkey. I thought I was having terrible withdrawal and couldn't believe how sick I was getting. As it turned out, I caught a nasty stomach virus the same day that I had decided to stop the caffeine. It was actually a blessing in disguise because during the three day withdrawal, I was so sick with the virus that I had NO desire for coffee!! As it turned out, that was in February and I remain basically caffeine-free. I now use caffeine as "race fuel". I am a long distance ultra trail runner. I use Roctane in my water and near the end of a race or when I'm really struggling, Clif Double Espresso gels with 100mg of caffeine. Since I don't ingest caffeine on a daily basis, it works GREAT as race fuel!! :glasses:

Good luck with your endeavor!! Any addiction is HARD!! I should know as I am also a recovering alcoholic!! :drinker:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow morning will be the worst, are you eliminating all caffeine , or just the monsters/ chems?
  • dlecorchick
    Options
    Great job on stopping the caffeine. I plan to continue drinking coffee though.
  • dlecorchick
    Options
    Just checking in:

It's 5pm and I am drinking tons of water in an attempt to take my mind off of having a Monster.

Thanks for the IM's etc...

Please share your experience here. Who knows? Someone might find it in a search and benefit greatly from your/our experience.

-Dougie
  • mimipuma
    mimipuma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Diet Coke nonstop - it was often the only drink I had for days. No water, just Diet Coke, all day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, staying up late at night... Then I got a really bad case of vertigo and, as the world seemed to literally spin around me, realized how unhealthy my life had become. While it was not caused by the diet soda, it was a good wake-up moment for me to be healthier. I haven't touched it since - 4 years now.

When you want to have a Monster, just remember that it's for your health. Soon enough, if you're tempted to try it, you'll realize how truly awful it tastes and how much better you feel without it.

Great job drinking lots of water too, it will keep you awake naturally!
  • wintersbeauty25
    Options
    You'll get headaches for about 2 weeks because of the withdraw :( Believe me, I'm going through it now with soda. I switched to tea though (like the ones you brew lipton, red rose) I can control how little sugar I put in it.
  • dlecorchick
    Options
    Thanks! I'm glad there have been many others leading the way! :)

Update:

Day 2 - 9am ish

I slept extremely well last night. I am thinking about how great it would be to drink a Monster pretty non-stop. I'm pretty sure my body is craving the sugar (artifical sugar?). I have noticed that a glass of OJ really helps.

***Thanks for the replies and messages. Please post your experience here for others to benefit from***

Thanks again al!
  • wwhickok
    wwhickok Posts: 29
    Options
    I never knew how hard giving up caffeine was until I tried to do it. It's been a few months for me but I've successfully kicked my Mt. Dew habit cold turkey, i mean..I still crave them but I don't give in. I used to drink 1-2 2 Liters a day or 2-3 20oz. a day. I still drink caffeine but I have cut down on it alot.

The big thing for me is that, there were times when drinking soda that my kidneys would literally ache. I'd feel gross inside and it almost felt like I just drank a gallon of grease or something.

The headaches from the withdrawl are what is making it hard for me to kick my caffeine withdrawl completely. Any suggestions here?

Great job on kicking the Monster Habit. I recently adopted this habit for a few weeks, was drinking two a day every day of the week, literally.. sometimes more than that. Recently I quit cold turkey, I haven't looked back since, just gotta get rid of the rest of the caffeine.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Please don't scroll to the end of this thread, because there is a monster at the end of this thread

null_zps892427c0.jpg
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Used to go through a pot of coffee. 2-4 Rockstars, or Monsters, whatever, couple bottles or cans of mountain dew.

Then decided to take a year off from all that ****.

Still off soda, but will have an occasional cup of coffee, or an energy drink.

It's doable, but you have to really commit to it.
  • dlecorchick
    Options
    Great to hear. Yeah, my kidneys or other organs in there weren't happy at all!

As for the head aches, Motrin for me yesterday and today.

:)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome!

I haven't ever had a Monster, but I was a total Diet Coke addict. I drank more than 2 liters a day, easily. I stopped cold turkey about 10 weeks ago and haven't looked back. The cravings got better after a couple of days. Now and then I'll see one and think "that would taste soooo good", but it is a fleeting thought and I don't want one all the time.

Good luck.

ETA: I found green tea to help a lot with the caffeine headaches.
  • wwhickok
    Options
    Thanks on the headache suggestions. I love green tea actually, well, I like Golds Peak and Arizona. I've tried others like Pure Leaf, Snapple, and Litpon and I just don't like the tastes.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have in the past (twice actually..) been addicted to energy drinks. Rockstar and Nos to be exact. I could drink 4-5 of them daily, and it have no effect on me. It became like water to me. Breaking those addictions were awful. I would have the shakes, and the headaches, mood swings, cravings, emotions...it was awful.
    Now when I drink one, it is Monster, the no calorie no sugar kind and I limit it to one a day as needed. I drink it in the morning and consider it a "treat". It kills my sweet craving. And if I do not have one for a day, or a week, or a month, I am OK. It does not bother me.
    Energy drinks can be extremely addicting. Good for you for cutting them out!!
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking the Monster Lo-Carb for about 5 years, was three a day, now two...one in the morning and one on the way home from work. It's an hour drive each way. I have switched to the Monster Ultra, white can now. I gave them up when I was pregnant and try to stop now and then. I think I'm immune to the caffiene now. They taste good, better than any pop. I've tried coffee for a while but it's not as convienient. I get the Monsters by the case at Costco or Sam's Club. :embarassed:

Wishing you luck :smile:
  • dlecorchick
    Options
    I've not entered the world of green tea yet but it looks like something I will try after work. Thanks!

@Travisbikes. Did your weight lost accelerate any when you stopped?
  • wwhickok
    Options
    Green Tea is a somewhat of an acquired taste, sort of. I mean, my wife hates it.

Golds Peak tastes a little sweeter to me than the other brands. Arizona Tea is someone bland but if you've ever had any Arizona Drinks, it's right on par with how they taste in regards to the specific flavors.

Pure Leaf tastes like EXACTLY THAT. I thought I was drinking raw leaf juice or something when I tried it. Some people like it, so obviously to some it's good, I think it's just a matter of it not really being a 'sweet tea'.

Snapple, I've just never been a big fan of snapple so, again, it's on par with most snapple drinks but it's just not my cup of...well tea..

Lipton, isn't terrible imo, I like the Lipton lemon flavored tea specifically. The Green Tea is okay, I just prefer Golds Peak & Arizona.