Do you work out when you're sick? :-/

Options
I'm feeling really frustrated. After weeks of just cardio, I have started to work out with my brother who is a trainer again. We did a workout last thursday, but it was more of a fitness test to see my strengths. Over the weekend I was feeling 'icky', mostly in my throat/chest. Tuesday we worked out, and I thought I would just work through it, but half way through I felt lightheaded & almost passed out. Yesterday I rested, and I was hoping to feel fine by today but still not feeling well. With it being allergy season, I'm pretty sure it's a sinus thing & not a cold. I have more energy, but am feeling a bit queezy, and my throat really hurts. I just can't make up my mind if I should cancel for tonight or try again & hope I don't get lightheaded.

Part of the frustration is I am getting married this fall, and only have 4 months to really get into shape. I am feeling really motivated to work out with my bro but this freaking cold/sinus thing is holding me back & it is making me mad :(

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Depends on how bad I feel. I always focus on feeling better first. I figured there is no sense on making my self worse.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    have a few days rest, it'll do more good and you'll get better sooner than if you push yourself.
    generally at start of a cold i'm ok to workout but when it hits full on (like at the mo for me) rest is defo needed
    listen to your body if your feeling queezy n lightheaded then rest x
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    how about a less strenuous workout session? And if that still makes you feel queasy then take a rest day the following and work on being more active like walking more throughout the day!
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think the sinus stuff I took this morning made me a bit queasy too...I'm going to wait until this afteroon after it's worn off to see how I feel. I mean, I guess I can go try, & if I start to feel sick just say let's stop.

I'm just frustrated with these roadblocks!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Exercise is medicine for the body, but intense exercise is like strong medicine that has a lot of side effects. When your body is healthy it handles those side effects and only asks for a little more sleep and nutrition. When you're sick, intense training can definitely delay your recovery or make you get worse and this definitely applies to even a "simple" cold (upper respiratory tract infection).

In short, just take it easy. Unless you're a professional athlete it does not make a wink of a difference if you miss a workout today. You might find that a light workout will make you feel a little better though, such as some gentle cardio or light weights.
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Been battling a throat thing for 4 days now, still keep going to the gym and swimming. I feel it disappears when I am there, most likely because I try to stay hydrated even more so at the gym.

Unless you can't get out of bed (fever, chills, muscle ache) I wouldn't think it would be any different than a normal day at the gym. If contiguous then please sit it out, no need to get the whole gym sick.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Just go and play it by ear. Drink a lot of water today. Make sure you are not holding your breath when you are exercising-- when you lift or jump or whatever, you should push your breath out forcefully. If you start feeling light headed again, then stop.

Moderate exercise is actually good for a cold, it bumps up your endorphins and speeds healing. I would think it could help with allergies too, but I've never seen anything on that. It loosens up your airways and gets more blood and oxygen to all your tissues.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not holding your breath when you are exercising-- when you lift or jump or whatever, you should push your breath out forcefully.

I apologise but this is poor advice. Ask a kid to jump as high as he can and he will hold his breath while leaping. It is natural to hold your breath when exerting maximal force. However it is very important to keep breathing between such efforts, which is actually a skill that is developed whether it is for sports, weightlifting, or working in a removal company.