I've got too many calories left over for today....

Options
i have upped my calorie intake to 1400 due to i have been finding it difficult to shift weight even though I've been exercising. Some of you may have seen my thread yesterday about my problem, well it was basically i was eating 1200 but exercising 450 so only consuming 750 as i didn't eat them back after a workout, my body has probably been in starvation mode, i tried doing my TDEE etc and it came up with 2100 that i should eat i wasn't even eating that much a day to become fat so that's confusing, the estimated weight loss is only 0.9lb a week with 1400 calories which is why i had it set to 1200 because that had a estimate of 1-2lbs which is what i need to be loosing to get to my goal weight... i cant eat that many 2100 calories a day i still have 387 left today at 1400 and i have no idea what i can possibly eat to make them up, i have all my meals planned for today, i mean i could eat a few extra pieces of fruit, drink a few more cups of tea to build them up but i don't need to eat or drink them i am fine with water and what i have planned to eat, i am not planning on going to the gym today that would be even worse if i had to eat those calories back too, I'm no good with healthy meals as i am a picky eater if i could just eat what i want and exercise it would be so much simpler.

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would fill them up with some nuts, they have tons of cals from a lot lot healthy fat. And personally nuts don't make me full, you may feel different tho. I just ate them when I feel too full and don't wanna ate more but still have some cals left. Sometimes I may just ate a few ice creams instead, or candies. They have tons of cals what doesn't make you feel full. Also fat is a good choice. You can just take good unsaturated fat like olive oil and boil some fries there or something. Small food, tons of cals and isn't bad for your health either, cos it's good fat.

If your goal is to just lose weight and be fit it odes not matter if you ate healthy or not. It's all about calories. Eating 1400 cals of fried pork stake with cream sauce and french fries, and ice creams will not make you lose fat slower than eating 1400 cals of boiled brown rice and lean grilled chicken breast...

Personally, I used to ate like 2600 cals a day of crap pretty often. YOLO... lol. :D Been losing weight nicely. It comes out cheaper as well. I switched to healthy eating a while ago but haven't seen better results. It's cals that matter not what foods, if your goal is weight loss only...
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When I need a few extra calories at night, I spread some nut butter on a rice cake. If I also want something sweet, I add some honey or fruit spread. Can provide an extra 200 or so calories with fairly low bulk. Other options are hummus, avocado/guacamole (stay away from dipping into chips if you want to keep it more healthy - use celery or carrots instead). Add some "full fat" dressing to your salad (if you can find a salad dressing without a ton of added sugar - best to make your own). Fry up a couple of eggs.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    How did you get to the point that you need to lose weight if you have a hard time eating 1400 calories per day?
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    i tried doing my TDEE etc and it came up with 2100 that i should eat i wasn't even eating that much a day to become fat so that's confusing

how do you know you were eating "less" than 2100 calories a day to become fat? where you calorie counting before?
  • Nataliieexo
    Nataliieexo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    surely i couldnt fill up the extra calories with a chocolate bar or something.
  • Nataliieexo
    Options
    Well at one point i would binge eat and eat loads, i got to a certain point i was just eating twice a day and my weight never went up or down, fair enough i dont know how many calories exactly i was eating then. But those foods were probably full of fat and Greece. Now that im trying to eat healthy i find it difficult to eat over 1400 so how am i going to be able to eat 2100?
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would fill them up with some nuts, they have tons of cals from a lot lot healthy fat. And personally nuts don't make me full, you may feel different tho. I just ate them when I feel too full and don't wanna ate more but still have some cals left. Sometimes I may just ate a few ice creams instead, or candies. They have tons of cals what doesn't make you feel full. Also fat is a good choice. You can just take good unsaturated fat like olive oil and boil some fries there or something. Small food, tons of cals and isn't bad for your health either, cos it's good fat.

If your goal is to just lose weight and be fit it odes not matter if you ate healthy or not. It's all about calories. Eating 1400 cals of fried pork stake with cream sauce and french fries, and ice creams will not make you lose fat slower than eating 1400 cals of boiled brown rice and lean grilled chicken breast...

Personally, I used to ate like 2600 cals a day of crap pretty often. YOLO... lol. :D Been losing weight nicely. It comes out cheaper as well. I switched to healthy eating a while ago but haven't seen better results. It's cals that matter not what foods, if your goal is weight loss only...

ignore this completely!!!!
    There most certainly are good cals and bad cals. A banana will give you 100 cals as will a small bag of potatoe chips. One is not equal to he other when it comes to there benefits, ie; staying full longer, macronutrients...
    If you are working out add a 1/2-1 scoop of protein powder shortly afterwards. It will help repair and build muscle, keep you full and you can be confident you have done no harm to your weight goal.
    I too was at 1200 cals and unsure what to do with exercise cals. After much consideration and several weeks of being stalled out on the scales, I simply upped my cals to 1500. I eat every darn one of them and exercise at will with out the head game of 'i'm over i'm under my cals'. I pay attention to the macronutrients as closely as the cals.
    We all have to do what works for us. But since I am know back to lossing weight and feel soooo much better, I advocate for eat more to weigh less. Just do it wisely
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well at one point i would binge eat and eat loads, i got to a certain point i was just eating twice a day and my weight never went up or down, fair enough i dont know how many calories exactly i was eating then. But those foods were probably full of fat and Greece. Now that im trying to eat healthy i find it difficult to eat over 1400 so how am i going to be able to eat 2100?

How much fat are you eating?

Lots of people cut fat because it's high calorie (more than twice as much as carbs or protein). Add some avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, etc. to your diet. Cook or dress your food with a little extra virgin olive oil.
  • loricshields47
    Options
    my diary is open. Have a look and see how easy and yummy it can be to eat 1500cals of real food. Trust me nothing fancy or difficult going on here. (very little junk, one cheat day a week)
  • Nataliieexo
    Options

ignore this completely!!!!
    There most certainly are good cals and bad cals. A banana will give you 100 cals as will a small bag of potatoe chips. One is not equal to he other when it comes to there benefits, ie; staying full longer, macronutrients...
    If you are working out add a 1/2-1 scoop of protein powder shortly afterwards. It will help repair and build muscle, keep you full and you can be confident you have done no harm to your weight goal.
    I too was at 1200 cals and unsure what to do with exercise cals. After much consideration and several weeks of being stalled out on the scales, I simply upped my cals to 1500. I eat every darn one of them and exercise at will with out the head game of 'i'm over i'm under my cals'. I pay attention to the macronutrients as closely as the cals.
    We all have to do what works for us. But since I am know back to lossing weight and feel soooo much better, I advocate for eat more to weigh less. Just do it wisely

How much weight are you loosing weekly on 1500? once you upped them did the weight loss start straight away? I guess i could start snacking on fruit more often. I worry about eating back my exercise calories sometimes i know your suppost to but it took me so long to wrap my head around the idea of burning calories and then eating them back.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Work more calorie dense foods into your day - nuts, nut butters, avocados, full fat dairy, whole eggs, use olive and coconut oils for cooking and dressings - doesn't take much of any of these foods to add some good healthy calories to you day in small portions, so you necessarily packing more food in all day long.

A handful of raw almonds or walnuts on oatmeal or just as a snack, sliced apples dipped in a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter, sliced avocado with eggs & salsa, or on a salad - adds up quick and is super tasty!
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    How did you get to the point that you need to lose weight if you have a hard time eating 1400 calories per day?

Amen! Same thoughts...
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    do i count? im not actually at goal weight but ive lost about 22 lbs total at the moment :) its taken me about 18 weeks (2 weeks were at maintenance calories with no excercise) so 16 weeks really, about 1.4lbs a week. gone from 32% BF to just under 26%.

funny thing is, im not really trying!! infact, as im typing this, ive just finished a Mcdonalds and had a pizza for dinner last night, and a HUGH bowl of icecream the night before! still lost 1lb on this mornings weight in!

the secret?

SHAKEOLOGY!!!......

no seriously that stuff is crap! eat at a moderate deficit and excercise a few times a week, THATS IT!

i quoted myself from a previous post eairler today so you can see the results and how i achieved it, note the pizza and mcdonalds.

weight loss is not difficult! if you have calories left over and want a chocolate bar, EAT IT!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Why not?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You'd have to drink a lot of tea to make up those calories. Do it with nuts or a treat.
  • Nataliieexo
    Options
    do i count? im not actually at goal weight but ive lost about 22 lbs total at the moment :) its taken me about 18 weeks (2 weeks were at maintenance calories with no excercise) so 16 weeks really, about 1.4lbs a week. gone from 32% BF to just under 26%.

funny thing is, im not really trying!! infact, as im typing this, ive just finished a Mcdonalds and had a pizza for dinner last night, and a HUGH bowl of icecream the night before! still lost 1lb on this mornings weight in!

the secret?

SHAKEOLOGY!!!......

no seriously that stuff is crap! eat at a moderate deficit and excercise a few times a week, THATS IT!

i quoted myself from a previous post eairler today so you can see the results and how i achieved it, note the pizza and mcdonalds.

weight loss is not difficult! if you have calories left over and want a chocolate bar, EAT IT!!

At this point i think if i looked at a McDonalds i'd gain a stone lol thanks for the advice a chocolate bar is sounding great right about now 2 weeks with no chocolate when i was probably eating a couple a week beforehand hadn't bothered me until the past 2 days :)
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Try making sure you aren't eating low cal/fat foods, such an easy way to up calories without really changing anything.
  • Nataliieexo
    Options
    You'd have to drink a lot of tea to make up those calories. Do it with nuts or a treat.

I could drink a lot of tea i love it. I was cutting back from about 5-6 cups to 2-3 a day i have 2 sugars but with the calories i have left over i don't really have to but i should probably reduce the sugars.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

the world would probably end....

seriously though, yes, eat a chocolate bar IIFYM...
  • loricshields47
    Options
    Ive lost 2 lbs in the two weeks since I changed my goal and my way of thinking. Its hard to wrap your head around I know.
    I upped the cals knowing I was meeting and will continue to meet my exercise goals. Before I would eat the 1200 and exercise always seemed to be late in the day so eating 300 cals back at bedtime was something I could not do.(mentally) So know I eat them through the day and dont have the mental stress of what to do.

And yes you can easily eat more fruits and healthy fats. Many good suggestions have been offered to you. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

before you can change your body....you have to change your mind!

Good luck dear