1ooo daily calories/60 minute exercises and no weight loss

Options
I have been following a 1000 calorie food intake diet and exercising for 60 or more minutes a day of exercise and hardly losing some weight. Can anyone tell me why?

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have been following a 1000 calorie food intake diet and exercising for 60 or more minutes a day of exercise and hardly losing some weight. Can anyone tell me why?

How long have you been doing it? What type of exercise?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    With that big of a deficit your body is starving and will hold onto as many calories as it can! You will eventually lose weight with that program (impossible not to eventually) but if you up your calories to around 1500 you will lose more, and maintain muscle (which will help you lose even more and maintain a higher metabolism. Try upping your calories for 1500 for 6 weeks. You may initially gain a few lbs, but once your body realizes that you are no longer starving it will stop saving every calorie it can and you will start to lose weight. Also, make sure you are strength training in addition to cardio.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    what also will matter with your rate of loss is your current weight and your goal weight, the smaller you are to begin with and the lower weight loss goal, the longer it can take (ex: 50 pounds can take less time or even the same amount of time to lose as 5 pounds)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Are you very short, and already quite slim? 1000 calories is almost nothing. Especially if that's your gross intake, then your adding exercise.

Nevermind the weight loss, you should probably be eating more for your health.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You aren't starving yourself...but you are under eating which causes messed up hormones, loss of lean body mass, a slowed metabolism, and plateaus after a prolonged period of time ("prolonged" vvaries from person to person).

It didn't sound like you are eating back exercise calories? If you aren't, start now. I suggest you calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from there (20% if you have more than 50 pounds to lose, 15% 20-50 pounds, 10% less than 20 pounds).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Um why?

Your NET intake is possibly zero .... this means all of the nutrients your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys needed have come from fat stores AND existing muscle mass.

Figure out your BMR ..... calories needed if you were in a coma. You should be netting at least this number.... netting means eat exercise calories back.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

The reason I say "possibly" .... calorie burns can be over-stated by MFP & many machines. A lot of factors go into calulating calorie burns .... some of which MFP & machine CAN'T possibly know. Calorie burn calculations are tricky at best.
  • RLC2lady
    RLC2lady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am NOT a dietitian or a personal trainer...but I am a Phys. Ed and Health Ed. teacher and a woman who has struggled with her weight (up and down) for years, mostly due to poor choices :)
    With that intro, my thoughts are that you aren't eating enough calories to sustain your body's BMR (basal metabolic rate) and you are expelling a lot of additional energy and your body thinks it's starving so it is clinging to all 1000 calories you are consuming.
    Try to eat every 2.5-3.5 hours (personalize it) making smart food choices (like limiting refined sugars and starchy carbs) increase your calorie intake to 1200.
    Just a thought! Hope it helps if you decide to give it a shot :)

Question for you: How long have you been maintaining the 1000 daily calories/60 minute exercise regimen?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options
    Hi there! I am NOT a dietitian or a personal trainer...but I am a Phys. Ed and Health Ed. teacher and a woman who has struggled with her weight (up and down) for years, mostly due to poor choices :)
    With that intro, my thoughts are that you aren't eating enough calories to sustain your body's BMR (basal metabolic rate) and you are expelling a lot of additional energy and your body thinks it's starving so it is clinging to all 1000 calories you are consuming.
    Try to eat every 2.5-3.5 hours (personalize it) making smart food choices (like limiting refined sugars and starchy carbs) increase your calorie intake to 1200.

Question for you: How long have you been maintaining the 1000 daily calories/60 minute exercise regimen?
    Why do you feel the timing of the meals is an important factor?
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I can answer this: 2 reasons. First, your body will start to realize it gets food regularly, so it won't hold onto fat stores as much for self-preservation. And second, you burn a little extra calories everytime you eat (for digestion). Something I just learned myself...so if you eat more often, you burn more calories.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Um why?

Your NET intake is possibly zero .... this means all of the nutrients your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys needed have come from fat stores AND existing muscle mass.

Figure out your BMR ..... calories needed if you were in a coma. You should be netting at least this number.... netting means eat exercise calories back.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

The reason I say "possibly" .... calorie burns can be over-stated by MFP & many machines. A lot of factors go into calulating calorie burns .... some of which MFP & machine CAN'T possibly know. Calorie burn calculations are tricky at best.

^^ THIS. No other responses necessary. You must eat! I eat 2200 a day. Look at my ticker and pictures. =)
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options

That strategy is doomed to failure. Your body just gets fuel efficient to save itself; you get more miles to the gallon. It's going to try to save you by slowing down your metabolic rate so that you burn less calories doing everything. At some point you'll burn out, binge and order will be restored. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't mess with Mother Nature (she ain't havin' it!).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if you could make your diary public so we could see better what you're eating and how much, and what sort of exercise you do each day. And I would agree, 1000 a day is likely too low unless you are a very tiny person. Under-eating can actually stall weight loss, especially coupled with too much exercise. Food is fuel!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Eat more, your starving
  • Kit923
    Kit923 Posts: 1
    Options
    Agree with the pp's. You aren't eating nearly enough. Calculate your TDEE and your BMR and make sure you stay above your BMR. I wasn't doing this either and it was screwing me up too.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    becaus eu a re in starvation mode
    1000 is w ay to few calories
    how much do u weigh?????
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

I can answer this: 2 reasons. First, your body will start to realize it gets food regularly, so it won't hold onto fat stores as much for self-preservation. And second, you burn a little extra calories everytime you eat (for digestion). Something I just learned myself...so if you eat more often, you burn more calories.
    Given that every study that I've seen advocating meal timing as a means of losing weight has either been debunked or has serious problems with their methodology in general, I'd be interested in seeing the research you did to reach these conclusions.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

First, your body will start to realize it gets food regularly, so it won't hold onto fat stores as much for self-preservation.
    Source?
  • nicole707
    nicole707 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your calories to offset the workouts (just a little like 200 a day or so). If you eat too few calories your body will think it's starving and it will store fat (I'm not a Dr. but my nutritionist advised me of this) :)
  • lashonda28
    lashonda28 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should eat more