I confess...

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    At one point in time most of those people in the bad *kitten* section didn't know how to squat either. Just make the leap and ask for some pointers, you'll be glad you did :)

Some of them still may not know how to squat. Read up on proper form, and and watch some videos. The stronglifts for women group has a ton of great resources in the summary about the program. Get an idea of what you are supposed to be doing and what is correct. Don't ask the guy dropping his hips 3 inches to show you squats. :laugh:

A trainer is also a good option, but be very upfront about the program you want to do (if you have one in mind) and the lifts you want to learn. Ask if they are comfortable showing you those. I've seen one trainer at my gym have someone bench press, and his form is horrible, and the trainer doesn't correct it. I'd never ask him for advice. Another one has clients do squats in the smith machine but their feet are 2 feet in front of their body. I wouldn't ask him either.

Basically, do all the research as if you were going to do it on your own. Then ask for help from a random person in the weight room or a trainer as long as it looks like they are doing it the right way.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    just go do it.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have this desire to lift heavy. I seriously would love to go to the gym, grab a bar and just have at it. Do squats, and be bad *kitten*.

But...every single damn time I go to the gym I do my cardio (run on the treadmill). The entire time i'm thinking to myself, I'm just going to go and do it. Then when I'm done, I walk my *kitten* over to the free weights and just do those. :sad: All these people in the bad *kitten* people section know what they are doing and I don't have a clue. I know that if I go over there i'm going to look like the biggest dumbass. :laugh:

I confess i'm a gym scared-y cat. :grumble:

I wish I had someone that would go with me just a few times until I felt confident doing it on my own.

^^This is totally me too. I am going to hire a trainer for a session or two to help me get started - hopefully that subsides my fears and insecurities!
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    Walk over and say "hi, can someone show me how to do squats?", and then get out of the way

Whoever wins the fight will be glad to help

This just made me laugh out loud :)
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Love your replies..what a sweetie & helpful : )
    It's funny in a way, this idea that these super fit people are making fun of you. Do you think they got that way by sitting around hating? It's not easy to look like that. They respect hard work, if they even notice you at all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Try it at a home with a broom stick first- that's the best thing you can do for practicing so you don't look silly.

Next realize- if you have a power rack with adjustable railings- you may need to adjust those railings- so tinker around with them- knowing if you squat and they are set up for a bigger person- you might hit them.

Also- you want to put the bar collar things on there- They have different types- the most common looks like a big oversized for-arm strengthener/destresser thing. You put it on AFTER you put your weights on- just in case you get unbalanced and a weight wants to go sliding- it keeps it from sliding anywhere- and prevents a potentially BIG uneven problem.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised how quickly most people will be willing to help a new person who really wants to learn. If you are anywhere near Boston MA let me know, I'll show you the ropes.

And if people give you grief to hell with them. Haters gonna hate. Ignore them and go do it.

I'm going to bet that at most gyms you wouldn't even have to hire a trainer. They'd show you the right way to do things and once you get hooked sign you up for a session to really show you how to burn it up.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    trust me, most of those peeps in the lifting area have no idea what they're doing.

I love the guys that are doing kickbacks or something and use 50+ but throw their arm back like they're trying to kill someone. I was behind one of them once and I was willing to bet my life was about to end.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I am really intimidated in that area. I know I need to get over it. I don't think I would ever build up the courage to actually walk up to a stranger and ask "can you show me how to do this?". UGH. Maybe I should just hire a trainer for a couple of sessions until I feel more confident to do it myself.

You guys are right and I know you are, lifting is going to change my body. I need to get over being too embarrassed to go over there and do it part.

I feel you! I'm exactly the same! ><
    I really wish I had a close friend who knew the ropes : (
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I was scared too...but I asked someone and they were more than happy to explain technique and really spent time with me making sure I knew what I was doing. And I have been lifting heavy ever since. And whenever I am learning something new I just ask and nobody has ever turned me down. You just got to ask :smile: I also bought a book 101 workouts on amazon and it really helped me familiarize myself with the weights and the moves. Made me feel a little like I knew what I was talking about when I asked questions lol but seriously.....just do it! More than not they will be flattered you asked and will take you under their wing. And I am 44 and most of t he guys that help me out are in their 20's
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think most guys will be willing to help a lady who needs help... I get the hesitance though and I'd be the same. You ladies think you're alone but I have many male friends who will quietly share almost exactly the same sentiments over a beer or ten. Almost everyone is afraid, that's why almost everyone doesn't reach their fitness goals.

Thank you kindly and take care.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I am really intimidated in that area. I know I need to get over it. I don't think I would ever build up the courage to actually walk up to a stranger and ask "can you show me how to do this?". UGH. Maybe I should just hire a trainer for a couple of sessions until I feel more confident to do it myself.

You guys are right and I know you are, lifting is going to change my body. I need to get over being too embarrassed to go over there and do it part.

I was intimidated and still am, but I would watch how people are doing it and my gym is 24 hours so I would go early in the morning and try doing them. once I get comfortable doing it, I can do it at night with the bad *kitten* group.

As someone else stated, at 1 time those people didn't know what they were doing either.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I think most guys will be willing to help a lady who needs help... I get the hesitance though and I'd be the same. You ladies think you're alone but I have many male friends who will quietly share almost exactly the same sentiments over a beer or ten. Almost everyone is afraid, that's why almost everyone doesn't reach their fitness goals.

Thank you kindly and take care.

:flowerforyou:

I was intimated too, and I was 40...the first time i went and saw myself in the mirrors i teared up..I went in the locker room and said SELF, no one cares that you are overweight, just DO IT.
    33110506_7732.jpg

I do not regret it.

WATCH the youtube videos for form... So You Think You Can Squat is one i liked.

and
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    There is this one girl on here Crankstr, she is awesome. I mean pretty much if she posts, listen to her.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have this desire to lift heavy. I seriously would love to go to the gym, grab a bar and just have at it. Do squats, and be bad *kitten*.

But...every single damn time I go to the gym I do my cardio (run on the treadmill). The entire time i'm thinking to myself, I'm just going to go and do it. Then when I'm done, I walk my *kitten* over to the free weights and just do those. :sad: All these people in the bad *kitten* people section know what they are doing and I don't have a clue. I know that if I go over there i'm going to look like the biggest dumbass. :laugh:

I confess i'm a gym scared-y cat. :grumble:

I wish I had someone that would go with me just a few times until I felt confident doing it on my own.

Many are novices, others are just as scared as you are.
    You only get good if you start. So start.

If you have a question, ask. People love to help.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I say, get a trainer for one session and go at it. Just learn good form first !
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Hiring a trainer was the best money I ever spent on myself. Try to find one that will really challenge you. I had one that took his job very seriously and put lots of effort into designing good workouts for me and that really made it worthwhile. Even if you just hire one for a few sessions to help you get comfortable and show you good form (which is crucial!), it will be worth it!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.

Would you guys believe it if I told you that my husband was a trainer once upon a time rofl.gif

He stays with the kids while I go to the gym so we never go together. Maybe I can hire a babysitter instead of a trainer and just take my man! LMAO!

In all seriousness, I am going to do SOMETHING. I really want to start lifting heavy and changing the shape of my body. I have lost 25 pounds and I can see a difference, but I feel like I need more.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    There is this one girl on here Crankstr, she is awesome. I mean pretty much if she posts, listen to her.

thank you:flowerforyou:
  • Kittenopolis
    Kittenopolis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Google that **** & start slow. Then start out in front of a mirror so you can watch your form.

A lot of serious people at the gym don't mind being approached but would probably prefer not to be recruited for free training lessons.

There are TONS of awesome videos on youtube of experienced trainers who walk you through proper form/technique & you can make a list or even bring your phone along & watch a clip right before you practice the exercise. Also, free weights are the way to go, girl. For example: when doing a bench press with a bar, say your right arm is stronger than your left, your right arm will help your left cheat to get the bar up. Free weights don't give you that option. Each muscle is responsible for it's own training. :)

Best of luck to you & just remember, no matter what your level is, you will automatically be respected for trying because hey! you're out there, braving your fears, making it happen, & working for what you want.

No shame in that. :)