Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    a large dollup of tarter sauce!!! sorry, had to do it:)

get creative with whatever is in your pantry, last i did was dip in eggwhites, s/p to taste....old bay seasoning is seasoning 101 for fish....and i lightly dredged them in instant potato flakes....sprayed foil w/non stick spray, and on the grill for 3minutes a side....perfect.

instant potatoes are also helpful to get rid of the stronger fish smell.....
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Flounder has sort of a fishier taste to me but I bought a bunch of it....so it have to eat it up. I looked around online and I saw some websites that said to soak it in milk for an hour and it takes some of the fishy-ness away, and it worked! Just soak then dry off and add whatever seasonings you like. I dusted mine in flour and sautéed it in a pan with a little butter and squeezed some lemon over it when it was done, it was yummy!!
    You are not eating Gulf flounder it is not fishy at all
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I panko crust the top using egg white to make it stick. Then I bake till done. We use low calorie tarter sauce with a low calorie cole slaw on the side. I sometimes serve this with baked potato wedges and it is fish and chips. Yummy.
  • woahohjme
    woahohjme Posts: 28
    Options
    Ill have to try these out. I have a bunch of fish left. The flounder was on sale thats why I bought it. I actually cut up some zuchnini with the cheese grater and made a coat of that around the fish and browned it in the pan with some onions, garlic and a tiny bit of butter. It wasn't bad. Still not my favorite haha but I have to use the rest of it:)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Season with salt substitute & red/black pepper.
    Pan sear or broil
    Lemon juice

1. Mix to taste: fat free mayonnaise (11 cal) and regular mustard), garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ground black pepper, & Tabasco sauce. The longer you let it set the better the flavors meld. I often refrigerate for a few hours. Top the fish before serving.

2. Mix to taste: Ketchup, Louisiana red hot sauce (or Tabasco), lemon, horse radish, garlic powder, salt substitute, black pepper. This is a typical red sauce. Use as a dip for all seafood.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    yeah...Flounder seems to have a pretty strong smell.

I marinate it in lemon juice and salt for a while.. then when im ready to fry or bake...i sprinkle Mrs Dash 'fiesta lime" (?) seasoning. (i forget the name and its right there in the kitchen!)

or i mix it with some ginger/garlic powder and chilli pepper..and fry/bake...yum!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you live near a Trader Joe's, pick up their 21 Seasoning Salute. I brush my fish with a little bit of olive oil or use an olive oil spray, sprinkle the seasoning on the filets, then bake them at 425-450 at the rate of 10 minutes per inch.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Put some garbage on it.

Seriosuly, I hate flounder, and snapper and sole and cod. I haven't been able to find a way to make them taste good. Salmon is the onlyone I like. I put a thin layer of mayo on it, then salmon spice (no salt version) from clubhouse, then bake at 375 for 30 - 35
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I love fish so your question is a bit subjective to me. Maybe you just don't like it and no amount of seasoning is going to change that. Something that I do is poach the filets in coconut milk. It seems to take away some of the "fishy" and keeps it very moist.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use grated parmesan cheese and minced garlic mixed together...top fish filet, then broil for a few minutes each side on a wire rack in a shallow pan. It doesn't take long at all! A squeeze of lemon or lime juice after taking them out of the oven and you are done! I've used this method with tilapia, but it should work well with flounder also. I am a very big fan of lemon pepper seasoning though and use it often on fish with garlic powder and dried parsley. Always use fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice. It makes a huge difference in my opinion!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I love flounder. I like to put fresh squeezed lemon juice on mine and some fresh pepper. Also try to bake it in the oven with fresh rosemary. If I"m out of fresh lemons I'll just sprinkle on some lemon pepper seasoning before I put it in the oven.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe quite a bit with all kinds of fish. I also sometimes add chopped stuffed green olives.

1 lb red snapper fillets (or other firm, white fleshed fish)
    2 tbsp lime juice
    1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 (16 oz) can tomatoes, in juice
    2 tbsp canned diced green chilies
    2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tbsp capers
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Place fish in a non-aluminum dish. Sprinkle with lime juice; let stand 10 minutes.
    Cook green pepper, onion and garlic in the oil in a skillet 6-8 minutes over med heat.
    Stir in tomatoes with juice, chilies, parsley, capers, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
    Add fish and cook covered 5-7 minutes until fish just starts to become flaky. Transfer to a serving dish topped with the sauce.
    Servings: 4