Football Help...Guys help please

Options
About two years ago I tried watching football w/ my hubby. I had no previous knowledge at all. My dad never watched it growing up and I didn't go to games in high school or anything. But hubby works out of town Mon-Thurs. and Sundays are spent watching football. So I figured that if I was going to spend "quality" time with him during those hours, I better get interested in it. So I would sit and watch and he didn't seem to mind my questions because I was sincere about learning. So, last season I understood the basics and I understood most of the ref's calls and what was going on. We watched quite a few games together and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I am actually excited for this season to start. But I feel like I still need to learn a lot. And I kinda want to do it on my own so I can impress him when we start watching it again. So where can I go for more info? I thought of getting those "...for dummies" or "idiots guide" books. Is that worth it, or is there somewhere on the web I can visit? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• geoffsroote
    geoffsroote Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you type in "understanding football" into google, you come up with a bunch of pages that will help you get some more of the intricacies of football.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    the best way to learn is to keep watching, read articles online, and just immerse yourself in it. i am a huge football fan myself! i find that i learned the most when i paid attention to the announcers and read articles online at various sports outlets! good luck! and welcome to the football family :D
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    that depends on how far along you are, and how well you learn from books I guess. Football is a very visual game, so a lot of descriptions in books can end up being mis-interpreted or completely wrong. The best way is to watch games with someone who really knows the game, but short of that, there's no substitute for experience. Since the referee's tend to explain calls, and the color analysts will describe most actions, you're probably going to get just as much from them as you do from most viewers (without half the totally wrong headed analysis that those armchair QB's will give the other half of the time :tongue: )

I'd say though, pay attention to the nationally televised games and the MNF games closest, they (the networks) tend to gear those games toward a more general audience, which means more (pardon the expression) "dummed down" explainations, and longer breaks in between series to soak in all the info.

This is from a guy who played college football, coached for a while, and has a mom who started out with less than zero knowledge, had 2 boys play from pop-warner all the way through college, learned to enjoy the sport, now LOVES football, and can sit with me and not only point out which penalty the ref will call when there is a flag (before the ref makes the signal) but can spot strategic flaws, analyze plays, player strengths, and seriously debate me on things like the effectiveness of the 3-4 defense vs the 4-3 defense when defending a team that has a superstar runningback (it's almost scary some times).
  • bobnstuf
    bobnstuf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You also might want to join a fantasy football league (try yahoo...they are free and there are all different levels) this will supply you with a wealth of football info and keep you dialed into the NFL, besides they're fun and don't take up too much time,
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    This is just random and asked very jokingly...........when you said "guys help please," did you mean "guys" as in "males" or "guys" as in "all you MFPers?" B/c I'm a girl and probably know just as much about football as most of the guys on this site :smile: Just kidding with you!!! :laugh:

Anyway - I'm a huge HUGE football fan - not college, pro - born and raised a Cowboys fan (it's so sickening that my wedding colors were navy and silver and I had a Cowboys garter AND my hubby & I walked into the reception to the FOX NFL theme!) - and am this way because of my dad. From before I can even remember, I learned everything I know by watching games with him, and asking him question after question (during commercials, of course!)

He did buy me the "Understanding Football for Idiots" book when I was 14 - but to tell you the truth, I didn't get much out of it. LIke someone said above - your Sunday night and Monday night football games are going to be the best way to understand what's going on. Also, if you can stand it (I can't) - watch some college football on Saturdays - obviously penalty calls and basic formations, etc are the same. That way, you can kind of get immersed in it on your own then discuss with the hubby on Sundays.

Enjoy! PS - what's his favorite team? If it's the Steelers, Colts, Giants, Redskins or Eagles, I'm sorry, but I can no longer talk to you :laugh:
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options
    Enjoy! PS - what's his favorite team? If it's the Steelers, Colts, Giants, Redskins or Eagles, I'm sorry, but I can no longer talk to you :laugh:

We are in Indiana, so Colts. Sorry.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The great thing is that you have lots of time. Every time you pick up a newspaper I would scan the sports page and read every article about football that you see. I'm sure you are fans of a particular team. You should go online to their homepage and you can probably subscribe to an email update whenever something newsworthy happens with the team. You'll blow him away when you ask what he thinks about something the team has done and he hasn't heard about it yet.

Your husband is a lucky man!
  • onebeer
    onebeer Posts: 36
    Options
    There's me opening this topic like a fool, thinking it would be about proper Football ............... :embarassed:
  • nsking83
    Options

LOL - where in Indiana? I was born and raised in Terre Haute and went to school at Ball State...........and hated life after 2003 when everyone jumped on the bandwagon and thought themselves to be the #1 fan of the Colts, even when they couldn't name 5 players on the team besides Peyton and Marvin Harrison.

ANYWAY, I digress. I was just kidding! :smile:
  • Royse
    Royse Posts: 7
    Options
    My wife was in the same boat. I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan and she knew nothing of football until we met. When our son began playing she read dummies, or idiots (The one Howie Long helped right) and learned a ton. It's meant so much to me and my son that she took an interest in our passion. I'm sure your husband feels the same. Learn what you can, but if he's willing, what a great way to spend time together.

By the way proper football is played with helmets. Soccer is slow and painful....to each his own.

GO COWBOYS!!!
  • nsking83
    Options
    My wife was in the same boat. I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan and she knew nothing of football until we met. When our son began playing she read dummies, or idiots (The one Howie Long helped right) and learned a ton. It's meant so much to me and my son that she took an interest in our passion. I'm sure your husband feels the same. Learn what you can, but if he's willing, what a great way to spend time together.

By the way proper football is played with helmets. Soccer is slow and painful....to each his own.

GO COWBOYS!!!

The football book I got from my dad was by Joe Thiesman....not sure if Howie Long was in on it or not.........

And glad to see another die-hard Cowboys fan on here! Already counting down to pre-season (August 8, HoF game in Canton against Cincy.............59 days away!!! :drinker:
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options

LOL - where in Indiana? I was born and raised in Terre Haute and went to school at Ball State...........and hated life after 2003 when everyone jumped on the bandwagon and thought themselves to be the #1 fan of the Colts, even when they couldn't name 5 players on the team besides Peyton and Marvin Harrison.

ANYWAY, I digress. I was just kidding! :smile:

Ossian - 20 min south of Fort Wayne
  • onebeer
    onebeer Posts: 36
    Options
    By the way proper football is played with helmets.

Nah, the clue is in the name, FOOTball, not PICKITUPANDTHROWITball .....:tongue:
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE football fan, and have raised my daughters to be the same. :) As many have said, just watching the game listening to the commentaries and such can get you by... but if you really want to be able to talk football (or yell at the TV) then reading or watching people argue football really gets you to thinking about the game (I don't mean the drunken "your team sucks" kinda of arguing.. but intelligent debate on match-ups and coaching styles etc). To start (and make it more interesting) read up on the game you plan on watching - this way you can have it fresh in your mind, perhaps formed your own opinion (or picked one you agree with) and then you can see how it plays out in the game. It also helps to start with just knowing one team inside and out (not usually a problem, since most people have a 'favorite' - but if you are jumping in the pool with people that can name the starting line-up for over half the teams in the league then it can make you feel like you need to be able to do the same and that is just not necessary).

It's a great game, you will not regret becoming a big fan. :)
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options

GO COWBOYS!!!

Now being English I say what you would call "Soccer" is called Football. And Both Sports are called that with the NFL being known as Gridiron or American Football. But bleh, I used to play Gridiron over here so I've love for both sports and both have as much skill as the next.

One suggestion I'd make to the OP is to go on youtube and just type in your teams name. Watch some of the vids and you'll learn about the players you should know, probably see some of their best highlights and see some decent compilation vids (Unless you're a Browns fan, in which case you'll just see a lot of people in dogs masks barking) that could give you a good background about the team you're going to follow.

The internet is a wonderful thing.

Oh also, don't just sit there and watch, as a surprise find a local college/high school team not far from you and get surprise tickets for your and yours, go see a game, there's nothing like watching sport live and no matter what team you go see you'll have a new insight into the game and being around other fans who are enthusiastic, well there's nothing like it.

Oh buy a football as well, learn to throw it in the back yard :) Such a laugh.

In any case. Enjoy!

Oh and, FIGHT HARD, CHICAGO BEARS!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options

GO COWBOYS!!!

Now being English I say what you would call "Soccer" is called Football. And Both Sports are called that with the NFL being known as Gridiron or American Football. But bleh, I used to play Gridiron over here so I've love for both sports and both have as much skill as the next.

One suggestion I'd make to the OP is to go on youtube and just type in your teams name. Watch some of the vids and you'll learn about the players you should know, probably see some of their best highlights and see some decent compilation vids (Unless you're a Browns fan, in which case you'll just see a lot of people in dogs masks barking) that could give you a good background about the team you're going to follow.

The internet is a wonderful thing.

Oh also, don't just sit there and watch, as a surprise find a local college/high school team not far from you and get surprise tickets for your and yours, go see a game, there's nothing like watching sport live and no matter what team you go see you'll have a new insight into the game and being around other fans who are enthusiastic, well there's nothing like it.

Oh buy a football as well, learn to throw it in the back yard :) Such a laugh.

In any case. Enjoy!

Oh and, FIGHT HARD, CHICAGO BEARS!

As a soccer player for 18 years, i hate when it doesn't get the credit it deserves for being a tough sport, both mentally and physically, but I digress! What I really wanted to say was...

BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!! :D
  • Royse
    Royse Posts: 7
    Options
    Soccer absolutly deserves a ton of respect for how tough it is. The players are in great shape and work as hard as any other athlete. I guess I'm a typical American, I need more action than I see in soccer.
    As for going to a live local game, be it NFL, NCAA, or HS, I couldn't agree more. Nothing beats the thrill of being there. Oh yeah let's not forget the ballpark food. The calories don't count if your team wins.
    All joking aside though, HOW ABOUT THOSE COWBOYS!!!
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    good for you to even want to do this for your husband,yeah just watch as much as possible,catch Sports Center on ESPN dailey,and ask questions but wait for the comercials to ask questions lol:wink: