Flabby/Fat Arms

Options
babyj0
babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
Years ago..... and I mean years ago, when I was about 15, I started the Herbalife diet. I weighed my highest at 237. Two/Three years later, I dropped down to my lowest.. 145. I am now 23 years old and weigh 167. I haven't done any type of diet for about 4-5 years. (I'm 5'8" in case you were wondering)

Because of the extreme weight loss years ago, my arms are disgusting to me. They are flabby and fat. I never wear anything that will reveal my arms. I always have to wear a cardigan, or a long sleeve. It is summer again, so I will suffer. Not to mention my pale skin! I need some sun! Lol

So my question -- What type of workouts should I focus on for my arms? And what foods should I stay AWAY from that will help and make the process a lot faster?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/robot138/561303_129496107229412_358191664_n1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/robot138/01.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/robot138/0.jpg

Pretty emberrasing :embarassed: ... but pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with. My phone didn't catch the stretch marks to well, but they are definitely there.

Would appriciate any advice.

Thank you!

Replies

• canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am SO very interested in people's responses...i have a big of "waving" going on and i know that toning with weights is helping but it seems like it's taking forever !!!!

Hugs to you for doing so great on your weight loss journey
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i cant see pics. but I would love to hear some suggestions also!! when ur arm waves more than your hand..something has got to give!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You are young so your skin may be more resilient... but after losing #120 I had lots of excess skin -- and exercise did nothing to fix it.
    I finally had a tummy tuck 6 weeks ago to remove 6lbs of excess skin.... maybe arms next :)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    it depends on what is flabby..

If we're talking loose skin, there is no workout or diet that can fix it. it's excess organ tissue.

If we're talking fat arms, then there is no arm workout that can fix it. You're basically asking if you can spot reduce, which is impossible. You instead have to do the old tried and true watch what you eat to get a calorie deficit, and do exercise to maximize fat loss. and then fat will come off your body where it genetically wants to.

If you need something a bit more precise, eat a set number of calories a day, balance your macros, and pick up new rules of lifting for women or SL5x5 and follow that routine. combine with cardio 1-2x a week.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Do heavy, full body weights. Look up the New Rules for Lifting for Women.

Stop eating sugar and processed food along with grains. The fat will begin to melt off you .

I give myself one cheat day a week (sometimes a cheat meal) to stave off any binging. 30lbs down so far and a hell of a lot more muscular (so says my wife)
  • emilydiehl08
    Options
    Mine are the same. and deep deep stretch marks. I hate it.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    1. Lift heavy to reduce your overall body fat percentage and maintain lean muscle mass.

2. Eat proper macros. Eat what you like in moderation.

3. No such thing as spot treatment.

4. Its a slow and steady process, but by golly it works.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    STRENGTH TRAINING! I also have flabby arms - just doing some heavy lifting for 3 weeks, I actually have bicep definition. There's flab and fat there still too, but it's getting better. I still have 20+lbs to go, so hopefully the toning and fat loss together will be helpful!

PS: I echo looking in to New Rules of Lifting for Women. That's what I started, but I'm doing it twice a week, with a 1-hr bodypump class the other day of the week, for a total of 3 days of lifting. It's great so far!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options

If we're talking loose skin, there is no workout or diet that can fix it. it's excess organ tissue.

If we're talking fat arms, then there is no arm workout that can fix it. You're basically asking if you can spot reduce, which is impossible. You instead have to do the old tried and true watch what you eat to get a calorie deficit, and do exercise to maximize fat loss. and then fat will come off your body where it genetically wants to.

Yep, this. I've lost over 100 pounds so far, and have always had big arms. The bat wings I have now are terrible. They'll tighten up a little bit, but I'm going to need surgery to make them look decent. I am planning on having the arm lift, because I'm sick of not being able to wear sleeveless shirts, or buy other shirts that fit simply because the armholes are too small for my arms.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories, exercising and use a 15 pound Kettlebell and baby 5 pound dumbbells. I am getting bigger ones this weekend...yay. My arms are noticeably less gross to me, I am starting to actually see my muscle...very exciting : ) I just find beginner weight workouts on YouTube. Hasfit.com have a bunch and Zuzkalight is another that i follow on youtube. Hope that helps some. You gotta start somewhere : )
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Do you do strength training? I would seriously look into a good heavy lifting program (remember, heavy is relative) Nothing has toned me up quite as much as that has - and I've seen some damn good success stories from others who've experienced the same as well!

I've not experienced first-hand excess skin from losing a lot of weight, so I'm not sure if it'll ever go completely (I've seen some people swear that loose skin never goes fully) but it's worth a try right? I'm sure it'll help somewhat anyway.
  • babyj0
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I really don't want to go through surgery... No way I make that kind of money to be able to afford it.
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 years old and after I lost the same 50 pounds (for the last time!) my skin just didn't bounce back like it did when I was younger. I figured the only way to get rid of my flabby arms was to fill it with muscle. After about 4 months of doing bicep and tricep exercises with heavy weights, my arms are now fine. No longer flabby or the skin looking like a shriveled grapefruit. Good luck.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    First of all, good job! It's so hard. I have lived with flabby arms all my life. I am a teacher too, so you know the jokes. Do you have a trainer? Maybe someone like that could give you some good advice about exercises to do.
    I have a feeling that once I get to my goal weight, I will have to have surgery. But maybe not! I am optimistic!
  • babyj0
    Options

If you need something a bit more precise, eat a set number of calories a day, balance your macros, and pick up new rules of lifting for women or SL5x5 and follow that routine. combine with cardio 1-2x a week.

And how do I know if they are flabby, fat, or just lose skin?
    I just pinched them (lol).. but it doesn't really feel like lose skin..
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    http://skinnyms.com/6-must-do-exercises-for-toned-arms/

Have you ever checked out the fitness challenges on Skinny Ms Fitness?
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    Years ago..... and I mean years ago, when I was about 15, I started the Herbalife diet. I weighed my highest at 237. Two/Three years later, I dropped down to my lowest.. 145. I am now 23 years old and weigh 167. I haven't done any type of diet for about 4-5 years. (I'm 5'8" in case you were wondering)

Because of the extreme weight loss years ago, my arms are disgusting to me. They are flabby and fat. I never wear anything that will reveal my arms. I always have to wear a cardigan, or a long sleeve. It is summer again, so I will suffer. Not to mention my pale skin! I need some sun! Lol

So my question -- What type of workouts should I focus on for my arms? And what foods should I stay AWAY from that will help and make the process a lot faster?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/robot138/561303_129496107229412_358191664_n1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/robot138/01.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/robot138/0.jpg

Pretty emberrasing :embarassed: ... but pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with. My phone didn't catch the stretch marks to well, but they are definitely there.

Would appriciate any advice.

Thank you!

Was curious about this thread because my wife would like to tone her arms more. Haven't read it all yet, but the 1st thing I need to say is don't be embarrassed your arms don't look awful like you think. So go ahead where the short sleeve shirts while you tone those arms.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I really don't want to go through surgery... No way I make that kind of money to be able to afford it.

Sounds like "heavy lifting" is coming up a lot. I hope you look into it. I don't think it would take too long at all for you to really see a difference so long as you are careful with your diet.
  • hseipel12
    hseipel12 Posts: 26
    Options
    I lift every other day for my entire upper body. That's the only way I can get rid of the under arm flapping.