Couch to 5K (C25K).... anyone?

Options
With the weather outside warmer & more inviting than ever, I started the couch-to-5-K running program. I am currently in week 7... past the halfway point (YAY) and finished with the interval runs, tomorrow I am scheduled to run my first solid 20mins without stopping! Starting to look for 5K's to participate in this summer to 'celebrate' finishing the program... any suggestions? Success stories?? Looking forward to hearing about them.... ;-)

Replies

• bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday! I'm pumped! I can't wait to read about the success stories!
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did C25k last year because I couldn't even run a block! Good job on getting so far.

There is a group for C25k you should join... Hopefully this link works.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I started outside in January which is crazy in Canada so the progress was slow. I finished and am working my up to 10K using the same premise of gradually increasing the distance. My only insight is that running is a large part mental and once you can run 20 minutes you can run any distance, once you work up to it. Good luck everyone doing the program. It is great and what an accomplishment to be able to run 5kms. Drive that in your car (3.2 miles) and realize how far it really is.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I started in January and ran a full 5k in early April. Now I run 3 a week for exercise. I am 54 and was way out of shape at the beginning of the year.
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did C25k two years ago and went from total non runner to doing a 5k in 40 minutes in 28 degrees heat. Sadly I didn't keep it up, but have started again today. Looking forward to starting to enjoy it again!
    Helen.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last year and loved it! I then signed up for a 10K race and did the bridge to 10K programme. I did my first 10K in February in 55 minutes 17 seconds. Since then I've signed up for a marathon in October and have kept upping my miles. I did my longest run ever yesterday - 15 miles which I was so proud of - but regularly run 13 miles on a weekend. Running is great and without the C25K programme I would never have got started so I am a massive advocate of it. Glad you're enjoying it!
  • liliawodna
    liliawodna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just did day 1 today and very excited! I love the energy boost I have after and hopefully it continues when I run again! What kind of stretching are you doing after? Are you using the app?
  • AArmstead1
    AArmstead1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Running 20 solid minutes now!! Feeling amazing... only 5 more sessions to go, bumping up a few minutes at a time until I reach 30! Admittedly, some days have been easier than others but I have NOT skipped a single day since starting this program nearly 2 months ago. For those of you just beginning.... it does get easier!! the satisfaction of knowing that YOU CAN and JUST DID IT only gets better, so chin up!! keep going!!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For me, there were two things that were big milestones. The final one was the most obvious - I ran a full 5k. The other one was when I ran for quite a bit of it and dropped to a walk when I felt I had to and only a minute or so later I noticed I was running again without ever consciously deciding to; it had become the normal thing to do.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Last day of week 10 is tonight.

2 days ago I pushed it and completed 3.1 miles in 31 minutes, almost exactly a 10 minute mile and my personal best since starting.

I'm wicked glad I started the program. My weight hasn't changed much, but I'm noticably leaner and my waist has shrunk since I started. Go for it and keep it up. :)
  • AArmstead1
    AArmstead1 Posts: 14
    Options
    This week marks the completion of my program and I signed up for my first 5K run!! SUPER EXCITED!! Feeling pretty amazing now... seriously considering the "bridge program" to build up to the 10K run... then maybe to a half-marathon for next year!?

Also, I have dropped 4lbs and 4.5 INCHES... my clothes are looser, belt needs tightened tighter and I really should go bra shopping as well since my middle is getting smaller (boobs are fine though, no saggy worries here lol)... and my husband commented recently that "you are looking skinnier and super hot today babe" :-)

RUNNING IS AWESOME!! I have never felt better or more proud of my accomplishments so far and it only inspires me to keep going further!! YAY!!!

How are the rest of you doing on your C25K journeys??