Day 1 of insanity, have i lost my marbles?

Options
13»

Replies

• janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    It is an extreme workout program on DVDs.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    It is tough and it's supposed to be. It isn't built to be easy. Just because it pushes you doesn't mean it isn't the right program. I will continue and finish it. Done all les mills do them regularly and they aren't much of a challenge anymore. A challenge and the outcome is what I'm looking for and insanity seems to do wonders with both
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I've done the fit test and lets just say compared to my # yours are pretty impressive. All I can remember is the switch kicks were 50 and the push up jacks 0 lol I can only do girl push ups. As far as an actual work out I only watched it and that was enough for me. I'm doing Jillian Michaled 30 Day shred. Then I will try insanity again. Good luck can't wait to see your results!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Today will be day 48 for me :) Congrats on getting started!! And Yes, you need to be slightly nutty to do this...because you are basically inducing self torture every time you workout. LOVE the burn though! :love:

If exercise is self torture, it sounds like you really need to modify the routine so you won't accidentally injure yourself.

Remember, doing things in moderation (as opposed to pushing to the extreme) is the key to long term success!

I was kidding...don't take things so seriously. I have not injured myself or complained of pain. It's a figure of speech.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity up to the 7th week then had to start over and finished it the second time through. I'm now starting week 5 of P90X/Insanity hybrid. I do it during lunch with a few co-workers. it's tough but the results are worth it! I wanted to do P90X to get more strength training, but am addicted to the cardio in Insanity, hence the hybrid. Anybody has got to be at least a little insane to do Insanity no matter their background!! :laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to add muscle and beef up you are doing the wrong program. Insanity is 90% cardio based program, which may actually lead to the loss of muscle along with fat.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    "I'm smiling because I love killing people" - Shaun T ... this statement from the 2nd month sums up everything you need to know about how intense this program is structured. INSANE!
  • micheleld73
    Options
    Just because you did the fitness test doesn't mean you have to do the entire Insanity program.

If you dread an exercise class, it probably isn't the best choice for you. Find something fun that you really like instead!

Have you checked out the local gyms for group exercise classes? The Body Training Systems and Les Mills franchises sell exercise packages to many gyms where they do group exercise classes to rock music. Now THAT can be fun!

You might also be able to find a local meetup group that is doing the program that you can join. In addtition to my daily workout with coworkers I go to a meetup once a week that does a different beachbody workout everytime. It gives you diversity to discover which program is best for you.
  • LisaLaneDeno
    Options
    You haven't lost your marbles, you've decided to make a change which will improve your PT test results! Insanity is great for those serving in the military. Be sure to do what you can and don't try to keep up with the dvd but keep going. You will notice improvement in your endurance after the first couple of weeks. Be sure you are fueling your body properly. You will most likely need extra nutrient dense calories to support this workout program. Have a great day and Dig Deeper!
  • micheleld73
    Options
    Not until you can quote the entire workout and comments from memory: "don't have your legs too wide...JOSH".

Insanity is a conditioning program, rather than a weight loss routine, and certainly not a muscle building program. Your biggest gains are in cardio and mental toughness. I love to hate it.

Earning the insanity shirt was probably one of the single most difficult things I've ever done. And one of the things I'm most proud of.

Dig deeper!

My coworkers and I have decided that when he asks "how are you feeling?" he's really asking "does it burn, are you feeling it?". LOL!!
  • LisaLaneDeno
    Options
    When starting Insanity it is important not to feel like you MUST keep up with the DVD. Do what you can. Feel free to keep me posted with how you are doing and I can make specific suggestions to help you get through the program.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just finished week one of Insanity and I am LOVING IT!! I have to modify some of the exercises (the really difficult push ups!) but I am managing most of the other exercises... I normally HATE exercise BUT I love the feel of the sweat just pouring off me during these workouts!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    If your goal is to add muscle and beef up you are doing the wrong program. Insanity is 90% cardio based program, which may actually lead to the loss of muscle along with fat.

Not necessarily - my guy has dropped his BF% and gained 10 lbs of muscle doing Insanity, and we still have 2 weeks left to go. You just have to eat right, he eats 4,000+ calories a day to gain weight and not lose it.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I have not done the Insanity program, but with people of so many different sizes and body types doing it, do they have a sliding scale of how many calories people should eat? It wouldn't make a lot of sense to tell a short, skinny woman to eat as much as a large body builder-type man.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I have not done the Insanity program, but with people of so many different sizes and body types doing it, do they have a sliding scale of how many calories people should eat? It wouldn't make a lot of sense to tell a short, skinny woman to eat as much as a large body builder-type man.

It actually comes with a great nutrition guide with a formula to figure out what you should eat for your individual body. It uses the Harrison-Benedict formula which allows to account for an activity level factor. It's pretty fantastic.