Picky eaters and allergies

tlrue
tlrue Posts: 567 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
My boyfriend is allergic to onions, seafood... oh and vegetables (or so he says :laugh: ). We also have his girls here with us (8 and 3) half time and are pretty picky.

Does anyone have any suggestions on kid-boyfriend-allergy healthy recipes for summer dinners? I try to stay clear of using the oven since it's getting hot as it is.

Thanks!

Replies

• kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Do you have a grill? Or a george foreman indoor grill? Kabobs, chicken breasts, pork chops, hot dogs ;), lean burgers.

Also, maybe a crock pot! :) Roast, sloppy joes, etc....
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Ok my hubby and kids are super picky eaters to I haves some of the similar problems, try this recipe http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1974

You can leave the onions and peppers on the side, but I make this( recipe x4) at least 2 times a week because they eat this up and I stay well within my calories!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Ok my hubby and kids are super picky eaters to I haves some of the similar problems, try this recipe http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1974

You can leave the onions and peppers on the side, but I make this( recipe x4) at least 2 times a week because they eat this up and I stay well within my calories!

Here is the whole recipe

HG's Need-a-Fajita Chicken Bowl

Bowling for Chicken

We love the idea of big bowls of food for one. But do they have to be fast-food-fatty and high in calories? Noooooooo! Read on for our latest FANTASTIC recipe... the Need-a-Fajita Chicken Bowl!

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup cooked brown rice (prepared without added fat)
    1 tbsp. salsa verde (a.k.a. green salsa)
    1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
    Squirt of lime juice
    3 1/2 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into small strips
    1/2 cup chopped red & green bell peppers
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 tsp. dry fajita seasoning mix
    1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    2 tbsp. (regular) salsa

Directions:
    To make the cilantro sauce, combine salsa verde, cilantro, and lime juice in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.

In another bowl, combine chicken, peppers, and onion, and sprinkle evenly with fajita seasoning. Add 1 tbsp. water and mix well.

Bring a pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add chicken-veggie mixture and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Remove from heat, stir in black beans, and set aside.

Place rice in a microwave-safe bowl. If needed, nuke until hot. Top with chicken-veggie-bean mixture and cheese. If you like, nuke briefly to melt cheese. Finish it off with salsa and cilantro sauce. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 bowl (entire recipe)
    Calories: 386
    Fat: 3g
    Sodium: 700mg
    Carbs: 52.5g
    Fiber: 7.5g
    Sugars: 6.5g
    Protein: 35g

POINTS® value 7*
This discussion has been closed.