BEGINNER needing help with weight training

Options
2»

Replies

• gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Search stronglifts 5x5 on you tube. He has the entire workout on there. It will really depend on your equipment, don't be afraid to push it as long as your not going to injure yourself. Lots of good advice given already. Good luck.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought. If lifting is too overwhelming, why not try some body weight strength exercises to build up some strength, then try the weights again? Here's a good protocol: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

The only one you should really have a problem with is the pushup. In that case, you can start with wall pushups, as per this post: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/
    If it's any comfort, I am using my kitchen counter for pushups, because doing them on the floor, even on my knees, is impossible to do properly. If you notice, he wants you to go down all the way. That's how you build strength. And if 10 wall pushups in perfect form is too much, then do how many you can and aim to do one more the next day you do it.

In fact, this routine is something you could work up to, if it's too hard. Start with 2 circuits the first week, add the 3rd the next week. If you can't do 20 lunges, do 10, then add as you are able, etc.

Not sure if this has been covered, but there are a few things you will want to keep in mind:

* You should not strength train the same muscles twice in a 48 hour period. Three days a week is good, because then you can do 3 of cardio and 1 of rest.

* You want to gradually increase either the reps or the weight, or you will plateau and only maintain. That might be okay at some times, but it's better to change things up when they get too easy.

Don't worry, you'll figure it out! And don't let your husband scare you away. If you aren't ready for what he was showing you, then work on something that will get you there. Kind of like how I can't do a pull up to save my life, but I want to, so I'm working on a routine that will strengthen the muscles that help me do a pull up, so that someday I will be able to do one!

Good luck!
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you're intimidated by the gym, you don't have to go there. i workout at home with dumbbells and Love it! I do Chalean Extreme from Beachbody. It's really good as Chalene Johnson, the trainer, shows you the proper form to avoid injury. I personally prefer a DVD where I can see a person in action rather than a book because I'm visual. But it's a matter of preferences.

^^^THIS.......try a workout dvd that incorporates strength training.....

In fact, try the Nike training Club for women app...and start with the beginner workouts!!! You'll love it!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Try searching on google dumb bell exercises... There are loads of web pages right at the start that have visual demos on how to do each individual exercise... Practice them with your husband watching with light weights at first to get your form perfected then move on to variations of routines like 5x5 ... Don't worry if you don't understand what it is, once step at a time - I personally don't do that but whatever rocks your boat :smile:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just read the New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW acronym on the web) and it helped A TON!
    You might check it out. I bought the Kindle version for around 11 dollars, and there is a site called werkit that provides spread sheets with NROLFW workouts for each week. (you have to buy the book to get the sheets)

the book seems solid to me. I am learned a lot and am currently following the program.

There is a group on mfp for nrolfw participants too :smile:
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice. #1 thing I will tell you is GOOD FORM, GOOD TEHNIQUE, well that's really two :bigsmile: . Do it right and then worry about how much you are moving. Search the web with terms like Novice, Beginner, Female, Weight Training, Strength Training, Routines. I'd start with a 3x a week routine. If you go to a gym, see if you can get setup on the circuit machines, they are easier to start on and less intimidating. Once you do that for about 2 months then you can move onto a free weight program. If your hubby works out he ought to be able to help you, good luck and stay injury free by using proper technique and good form.
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU all so much!! I really appreciate the comments and support. I'm super excited to do some research this weekend. I will definitely check out New Rules of Lifting for Women to get started. I belong to a gym and we have a weight bench/weights at home. Looks like I have a lot of HARD work ahead of me.... :smile: