It's not too late to plant

Options
thrld
thrld Posts: 610 Member
It's not too late to plant lettuce and tomatoes (plants). You can grow both in containers/hanging baskets/window boxes.

Any other veggies that can be planted now?

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you live. Tomatoes are out of the question here unless planted in January and moved outside after the last freeze, or planted in August to try to get a fall harvest. Otherwise, it's too ^%$# hot to set the fruit. Lettuces are done here, too, thanks to the heat.

Here we can still do cucumbers, zucchini, squash, bell peppers, chilis, that sort of thing. Might be able to get away with corn - not certain.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My mother is growing carrots and zucchini right now - those might be good, depending on where you live. We're in Northern Michigan, so our growing seasons start later than most of the US.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    we are getting frost here tonight in Canada, it is freezing today, winter coat and hat and mitts today!
  • 3_is_enough
    3_is_enough Posts: 25
    Options
    I usually start my vegetable garden at the end of May, beginning of June. Not sure what other growing seasons are like, but it works for me in NY.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm in NV and just planted cucumber and pepper seeds outside a couple weeks ago.

I've already had the following growing for about a month:
    Spinach (bought plants)
    Watermelon (started inside with seeds)
    Strawberries (came up from last year)
    Cabbage (from a plant)
    Tomato (in a pot, grown from seeds)

I want to add more plots in my yard, but I'm not sure we'll get to it soon enough. I will miss not having pumpkins and squash this year. :ohwell:

Check with your local nursery to see what they recommend.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    3 weeks ago i planted spaghetti squash seeds....they are in a big pot in my house at the moment and growing well...far too cold in uk to put outside...it was only 3 degrees here today!!!!:wink: