anyone watching Fat Family Tree (UK TV)?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I'm just watching this on ch4+1 ...I'm sure I watched another program previously where they said there's no such thing as 'fat genes' or slow metabolism so wonder which is true?

Replies

• RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Genetic influences

To date, more than 400 different genes have been implicated in the development of overweight or obesity, although only a handful appear to be major players. Genes contribute to obesity in many ways, by affecting appetite, satiety (the sense of fullness), metabolism, food cravings, body-fat distribution, and the tendency to use eating as a way to cope with stress.

A 2006 report in Science that studied more than 900 people showed that those who have two copies of a specific gene variant (called Insig-2) were 22% more likely to have a BMI higher than 30. Researchers believe the gene variant affects the regulation of another gene involved in fat production. In follow-up studies of more than 9,000 people (including people with Western European ancestry, African Americans, and children), they found that about 10% carried two copies of the gene variant.

In another 2006 study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers studied the activity levels of three different genes in fat samples from people who were normal weight, overweight, or obese. They took fat samples from around the participants’ internal organs and under their skin and found different levels of activity (known as gene expression) in the different samples. In overweight people, increased expression of two of the genes correlated with a tendency to be “apple-shaped.” These and related studies have helped researchers better understand how and why obesity occurs. They may also spur the development of new weight-loss treatments.

The strength of the genetic influence on weight disorders varies quite a bit from person to person. Research suggests that for some people, genes account for just 25% of the predisposition to be overweight, while for others the genetic influence is as high as 70% to 80%. Having a rough idea of how large a role genes play in your weight may be helpful in terms of treating your weight problems.

Source - http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Why-people-become-overweight.htm
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I watched a bit of it, those ones are very overweight, terrible thinning hair too and everything, they're seriously nutrient deficient. I guarantee by the end of it they'll discover that they just eat too much and move too little though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    was interesting. Couple of experiments done on groups - one showed how drinking fruit juice as opposed to eating the same calories as fruit resulted in a 300 calorie extra intake at the subsequent breakfast.

Missed the first bit about genetics. One of the women was diagnosed Type II diabetic and the eating plan reversed that with her weight loss.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that the UK has some of the best "weight loss" shows - I've been watching tons on youtube. Secret Eaters is my favorite. o:
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    oh no I forgot it was on!!!!!
  • Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Damn now im not sure what to watch ... hmmm i was planning on watching Eddie Izzards 27 Marathons in 27 Days
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Hoping to watch it later.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It was ok though their experiments annoyed me as there are so many methodological issues. Also while genes might have effect, all it does is make it harder (not impossible) to lose weight.

In conclusion though, they were (shock) eating too much, not moving, and eating everything beige in sight.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was gonna watch it but then by the looks of the women on it, they were clearly not trying everything to lose weight as stated on the ad, or not consistently.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm fascinated by how judgmental this thread is! Personally I also find it fascinating to think how much family traits are nature and how much nurture. I watch how differently my 5 year old and his 5 year old cousin react to food, as my son has no interest in cakes or cookies and stops eating when full (which happens pretty quickly), whereas my cousin shows none of these traits. There are differences to the culture surrounding food in each household (we don't always have dessert, you don't have to clear your plate) but this doesn't seem enough to explain the difference.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Yes, there was a documentary ages ago which had a segment on very small children, showing that they did fall into two groups - one group would stop eating when they'd had enough, and the other group didn't (if it was food they liked). I don't remember whether that tendency turned out to be genetic or not, but I think identical twins often end up the same size (even in different environments).
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    It was ok though their experiments annoyed me as there are so many methodological issues. Also while genes might have effect, all it does is make it harder (not impossible) to lose weight.

In conclusion though, they were (shock) eating too much, not moving, and eating everything beige in sight.

yah. "i've tried every diet" - what about the dont eat too much diet.

in the end its like, yeh genes play a small part, but if you don't eat too much, you wouldn't have this problem.

"we just cant get slim, its in our genes" eats cake washed down by cranberry juice.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    oh, yeh, they ate 3 pounds of butter a week. thats one pound each. thats fricken amazing.

"i just dont understand it" - bites into a stick of butter.