Anyone from California

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
I am going to California and plan to visit the following cities.

San Diego

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Francisco

Napa Valley

Oakland

I would appreciate some suggestions on things to do while visiting each city. I also will have a rental car for transportation.

Thanks

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Napa is easy. Just drive up the main highway. There is pretty much just one main road there. Visit every interesting winery on the side of the road. Cant miss them. Every restaurant there is world class. Mustards Grill is amazing.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    While in San Diego, go to the gaslamp district (****s Last Resort is a fun place to eat), Coronado bay bridge, balboa park.
  • mommylifter
    mommylifter Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm in San Diego. If you have kids, take them to the zoo and Sea World. If not, go visit the beaches and downtown.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I live in Pacific Beach, San Diego. It really depends on what your interests are!

For me, I am very laid-back and stick with the beach scene. There are a lot of events near Mission Bay Park. You can visit Belmont Park- it's like a year-round carnival on the beach and there are several restaurants, bars and shops in the area. Great people watching.

La Jolla is an upscale area of San Diego with great restaurants, wine tastings, beautiful ocean views and art galleries.

Check out downtown SD for the nightlife. The San Diego Zoo is world famous. I live next to Seaworld, it's a lot of fun too! If you like land/water tours, check out the Duck Tours. Oh, and look into the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum.

HAVE FUN!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    OH, there is also whale watching, deep sea fishing-- check out Seaforth. Sunset dinner cruises are fun.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Disneyland, or any of the beaches in California are all nice.
  • HealthyEscape
    HealthyEscape Posts: 255
    Options
    San Diego is also known for craft beer. If you enjoy good tasting beer, check out some of the local breweries. Or, catch a bus tour and have someone else do the driving for you!

http://brewerytoursofsandiego.com/breweries.html

Enjoy my city!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    What do you like doing? There is so much to see and do in Cali, that such a general question is tough to answer. At the very least drive the 101 from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. That drive is effing amazing! I'll never take I-5 to southern California again.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you have kids, yah Disneyland... but if you like rollercoasters then its Magic Mountain!

Oh... venice beach is always fun!
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you like road trips, take Highway 1 (PCH) from Malibu north to San Francisco (go further if you have time). There are so many great things to see along the way--it would be impossible to list them all. A few faves:

*See the dunes at Pismo Beach.
    *Stop at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo - see the ranch, order a steak, relax by the pool.
    *See Morro Rock in Morro Bay. It's just weird and delightful.
    *Stay on Moonstone Drive (Moonstone Beach) in Cambria.
    *Stop in Big Sur. Breathtaking beaches.
    *Take the 17-mile drive on Monterey Peninsula - it is stuff out of a dream.
    *Visit the aquarium in Monterey.
    *Check out the boardwalk in Santa Cruz.
    *See the Mavericks in Half Moon Bay (if not, there is a ton of great hiking and seafood!)
    *Walk the trail along Pacifica State Beach.

I'm currently in SF but love road trips all over California. If you're strapped for ideas after reading everyone's excellent suggestions, check out TripAdvisor.

(Forgot Oakland, sorry): Go to First Friday art walks, check out Berkeley and enjoy all the great food!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    San Diego - World Famous San Diego Zoo, or the Wild Animal Park in the same general area. Sea World. Coronado Island. Several huge shopping malls. Just depends on what you're looking for. Oh and the beaches are, IMO the best along the California Coast.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I live in RSM (halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles)

DISNEYLAND!

The beaches here are pretty top notch, from what I hear. Laguna is a fun artsy little town. Parking is difficult, but lots of shops and food.

I've done some of San Diego as well, again, lots of food. But if you walk everywhere you'll be burning calories! Sea world is fun, did it a few years ago.
  • Mountaindan
    Mountaindan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    San Francisco - Go see the World Champion Giants play, At&t park is awesome!
  • thehka
    thehka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    San Fran--MUCH easier to travel on foot or rail/bart. driving around yourself is a nightmare. but you should definitely visit fisherman's warf. it's probably the one thing i like about the city. otherwise i cant stand san fran lol
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    San Francisco - Go see the World Champion Giants play, At&t park is awesome!

^^ This ^^. The views are stellar!

Definitely check out Golden Gate Bridge (and Fort Point/south or Marin/north), explore Golden Gate park (visit the tea garden and the de Young), hike Land's End or the Presidio, visit Legion of Honor and Palace of Fine Arts, take a stroll through the Mission, take a ferry to Sausalito or Tiburon (gorgeous) and visit the Sutro baths.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am going to California and plan to visit the following cities.

San Diego

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Francisco

Napa Valley

Oakland

I would appreciate some suggestions on things to do while visiting each city. I also will have a rental car for transportation.

Thanks

I live outside of Anahiem so this is easy.

Go to Napa and drink way too much wine.

Catch an Angels game (I'm a Yankee fan so hopefully you're visiting when they are in town)

Do what I do, look up the best hikes in the area and hit the trails.

I'm still new to this state so thats all I've got!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    What do you enjoy doing? Hiking, the beach, shopping, restaurants? California is great and has endless options.

Palm Springs is fun.

Joshua Tree

The PCH is a stunning driving so is the 101 at parts.

Santa Barbara is a great town. Solvang, Los Olivios... That whole area I love. Wine, mini donkeys, the lavender farm is a favorite for picnics.

Driving through Big Sur.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm from San Francisco. There are a million things to do here, and the weather has actually been half decent lately.
    In Oakland, unless you want to go to a rave or see the A's there's not much to do lol.
    Napa is great. Definitely stay overnight.
  • Happy2Shop21
    Options
    I’m from Anaheim, things close or kind of close to me are:

Los Angeles Zoo (LA)
    Disneyland (Anaheim)
    Knott’s Berry Farm (Buena Park)
    Knott’s Berry Farm Soak City (Buena Park)
    Medieval Times (Buena Park)
    Pirate’s Adventure Dinner Show (Buena Park)
    Aquarium of the Pacific (Long Beach)
    Boat rides (Long Beach Harbor)
    Sea World (San Diego)
    San Diego Zoo or San Diego Wild Animal Park (San Diego)

Hope you have fun in whatever you do. ^_^