Absurd: McDonalds doubles up the chips

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    This just in: Something at McDonald's is unhealthy.

If you care enough about your calories to actually give a crap about any of this, you shouldn't be frequenting fast food joints.

Unreasonable portion size + uneducated population = increased health care costs. That impacts most everyone.

Sooo...why don't we just educate the population then? Why jump to legislation?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Double post weirdness yay
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Do you think they'll hand out extra ketchup with them?:laugh:
    Only if you pay extra. :laugh:
  • clockthatticks
    clockthatticks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think this part is the kicker
    "According to Japan Today, the Mega Potato is being advertised as "perfect for sharing" and is launched after the director of nutrition for McDonald's insisted that its menu can be good for you. "

This is being marketed to Japan and that fact actually has significance as to why this is even being put on the market. In east Asia (Korea and Japan in particular) there's a fad called "potato party" going around right now. Young people will go to McDonalds and buy a whole bunch of fries and then spread all of them out on the table and eat them all (of course divided up among many different people). It's been causing some trouble in Japan because it's seen as rude. This is probably to combat that trend.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't think companies should be blamed for people's choices. Whether it's a Big Gulp, fries, king size candy bar, etc, the companies don't MAKE people eat it. People need to accept more responsibility for their own choices/actions.

That's all fine and dandy, except the people impacted by McD portion sizes generally can't pay for their choices/actions.

So if you pay taxes and have health insurance, you are paying for their choices.

The people impacted by McDonald's portion sizes are the people eating McDonald's. I can assure you as a fairly regular consumer, that I not only pay taxes, I also pay dearly for my own health insurance. Since I don't feel like a strike today, I won't tell you what I think of your statement, only that I am living proof that it's incorrect.
  • crista_b
    Options
    "According to Japan Today, the Mega Potato is being advertised as "perfect for sharing" and is launched after the director of nutrition for McDonald's insisted that its menu can be good for you. "

This is being marketed to Japan and that fact actually has significance as to why this is even being put on the market. In east Asia (Korea and Japan in particular) there's a fad called "potato party" going around right now. Young people will go to McDonalds and buy a whole bunch of fries and then spread all of them out on the table and eat them all (of course divided up among many different people). It's been causing some trouble in Japan because it's seen as rude. This is probably to combat that trend.
    o-MCDONALDS-FRENCH-FRY-PARTY-570.jpg?15
    rude.jpg
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Look, if there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't be selling it.

Oh, McDonalds has high calorie food, that's why America is fat..... is a b.s. argument. America is fat because people eat in excess and have no damn self control. You can go to a mom&pop restaurant and eat food much higher in calories than McDonalds... not to mention plenty of appetizers loaded with calories and dessert... They just have that big yellow bullseye.... it's pc to bash a major corporation because "they're evil" while a it's not pc to bash a mom&pop because they're just normal people... Wake up people. As a matter of fact, go watch the documentary Fat Head. It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime.... Go watch it... If you really want an open ended opinion on fast food, not created by the fast food companies, then watch it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I like it when they sell stuff like this. It is cheaper to get the bigger size than multiple of the smaller sizes. We split it between everyone at the table. Right now, my kids are young enough that a small or medium is still usually enough for the three of us, but someday.....
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

The US has had a food education program in schools for 70 years. Obesity is through the roof.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

rude.jpg

Oh, those overweight Japanese will eat anything . . .
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    OMG OMG OMG!!!! What will I do???? The last time I went to McD's, they held me down and FORCED me to eat french fries!!!!!

Or not. :indifferent:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, they are evil
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

The US has had a food education program in schools for 70 years. Obesity is through the roof.

I can tell by reading the MFP forums on a daily basis that we have very different views on what "education" means
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Look, if there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't be selling it.

Oh, McDonalds has high calorie food, that's why America is fat..... is a b.s. argument. America is fat because people eat in excess and have no damn self control. You can go to a mom&pop restaurant and eat food much higher in calories than McDonalds... not to mention plenty of appetizers loaded with calories and dessert... They just have that big yellow bullseye.... it's pc to bash a major corporation because "they're evil" while a it's not pc to bash a mom&pop because they're just normal people... Wake up people. As a matter of fact, go watch the documentary Fat Head. It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime.... Go watch it... If you really want an open ended opinion on fast food, not created by the fast food companies, then watch it.

^^^^^^^^
  • crista_b
    Options

It's not just about putting it in the schools. Most of the time the parents buy ****ty food for kids so that's what they truly learn and grow up with. Parents need to learn better nutrition and pass that along to their children.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think companies should be blamed for people's choices. Whether it's a Big Gulp, fries, king size candy bar, etc, the companies don't MAKE people eat it. People need to accept more responsibility for their own choices/actions.

That's all fine and dandy, except the people impacted by McD portion sizes generally can't pay for their choices/actions.

So if you pay taxes and have health insurance, you are paying for their choices.

<--This poster ate McD today, I pay more than plenty in taxes, and I pay quite dearly for some extremely good health insurance. Maybe you should rethink a little about the 'type' of people who eat at McD.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Easy solution: Don't order it!

Stop blaming the restaurants for making people fat.

then, who should we blame??
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options

rude.jpg

This is my kind of party....I would freakin love this!!!! I would buy those mega size fries. I have four kids.....a twenty piece nuggets and a mega fry would feed them. I would try and offer fruit too.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options

It's not just about putting it in the schools. Most of the time the parents buy ****ty food for kids so that's what they truly learn and grow up with. Parents need to learn better nutrition and pass that along to their children.
    Overweight people KNOW why they are overweight, they just choose to do nothing about it (speaking of people who don't have metabolic or health issues that attribute to being overweight). Parent do need to learn more, but at the same time they have to apply common sense. If their kid is looking pretty overweight, YOU DON'T KEEP FEEDING THEM MORE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    So everyone who's on a 1200 cals diet can eat 1 mega potato and call it a day! Nice.