Movin' On Up...and the Most Honest Photo I have ever posted

Options

Replies

• abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that you are 68 and taking these positive steps! Congrats on the heavier weights. Keep it up! You are doing great!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    You absolutely ROCK -- love your attitude and sense of humour! :heart:

You've made me feel so much better about shuffling around my own puny weights. I get pretty discouraged reading about all the folks on here who are apparently squatting and deadlifting twice my body weight with ease, while I'm struggling to move my paltry 30 lbs.

We've all got to start somewhere. Way to go!
  • PithaCastaneda
    Options
    You my dear lady are AMAZING!!!! I've been having some problems in that area as well and after losing more than 80lbs well I was actually expecting my bat arms to show... As I readed your post and the decision u took my stepping up ur game and choosing the bigger weight that made me realize that I need to do the same... everyone its different but PROGRESS ITS PROGRESS no matter how small... because with time it will make a difference.. Thank you for the great motivation... I've benen strugguling with binging lately but I'm sure I'll get thru that cuz I've come so far. I would love to have u on my MFP friend list if u want :) I also log everyday :)
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you wonderful folks.

I am happy that some of you took inspiration from this old lady. I look to my MFP friends for motivation, information and encourage every day. When I post my food plan each day, I am making a commitment to each of you. That helps me to deal with temptations to eat 'just one more thing'. Staying faithful to my food diary is the main reason that I continue to lose weight.

As for my exercises, they are becoming a special part of my day. The wonderful suggestions (i.e resistance bands) are most definitely going to become a part of my future workouts. I still have hope that I can thin up those fat arms and even reduce my bat grannie problem to some extent.

I thank all of you for your ideas and desire to help this lady "of a certain age". :laugh:

I find that choice of words kind of funny. When I was a youngster, I thought that 21 was old. Now that I am 68, I can't help but think that I have at least another 30 years in me. So, that "certain age" could still be a long way off. :happy: My grandmother lived to be 95, and she had 2 aunts who lived to the ripe old age of 103 and 104.

By the way, I would love to be MFP friend...sister...'bat gran' :bigsmile: to any of you terrific people. However, if you are not posting your food diary, I probably won't be giving you any atta girls or atta boys. I believe that the commitment to a realistic, low calorie food plan is the first step to losing weight. My food plan is very low calorie, but I am being supervised by a doctor. I am also older and less mobile; so, my calorie limit makes sense for me...but not necessarily for you.

Love to you all, Sue (aka Hanfordrose, Rosie, Bat Grannie, Bat Gran). By the way, thanks for the new nickname.

05-05-13Sue01_zps8a895415.jpg?
  • SteelLadybird
    SteelLadybird Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show, you can't use your age as an excuse, hats off to you girl xx
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. You amaze me and I wish that more people had the drive and attitude that you do. Thank you for sharing!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    BAT GRANNY is AWESOME! I am afraid I have some wings myself, I hope they go away. Great attitude and spunk! Love it! You can see them in my picture over there but I a very cleverly cut them out. :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    bat granny is hilarious! you are going to do great with your 3 pounders! i myself can't wait for the day i can wave to someone and have my tricep stop waving when my hand does. :)
  • moby_chick
    moby_chick Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful photograph! You look more like 58 than 68 ... with an 18 year old attitude. :smile:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are a beautiful and young woman!

As for the bat wings...well, I had some too, but am about 20 years younger than you, but I found that fat burning by way of weight lifting was the most effective way to get all over results. We cannot spot reduce - it just doesn't work that way, you know? So keep doing what you are doing, increase weights as often as you can (I love the adjustable resistance band idea), and eat at a reasonable deficit from your TDEE (or at TDEE if you are not trying to lose weight) - either level will allow for some better fat burning with your weight lifting.

Some other tips I have found useful for my sagging tummy skin...mositurize twice a day, stay hydrated, massage the skin often, take Vitamin E (or apply directly to skin, but it is sticky), and a good solid multivitamin every day. It takes time (everything I read says up to 3 years for skin to get back to its best shape - note that its best shape will be different for everyone) but you are doing all the right stuff. Best of luck to you! And keep kicking *kitten*!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is awesome!!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you wonderful folks.

I am happy that some of you took inspiration from this old lady. I look to my MFP friends for motivation, information and encourage every day. When I post my food plan each day, I am making a commitment to each of you. That helps me to deal with temptations to eat 'just one more thing'. Staying faithful to my food diary is the main reason that I continue to lose weight.

As for my exercises, they are becoming a special part of my day. The wonderful suggestions (i.e resistance bands) are most definitely going to become a part of my future workouts. I still have hope that I can thin up those fat arms and even reduce my bat grannie problem to some extent.

I thank all of you for your ideas and desire to help this lady "of a certain age". :laugh:

I find that choice of words kind of funny. When I was a youngster, I thought that 21 was old. Now that I am 68, I can't help but think that I have at least another 30 years in me. So, that "certain age" could still be a long way off. :happy: My grandmother lived to be 95, and she had 2 aunts who lived to the ripe old age of 103 and 104.

By the way, I would love to be MFP friend...sister...'bat gran' :bigsmile: to any of you terrific people. However, if you are not posting your food diary, I probably won't be giving you any atta girls or atta boys. I believe that the commitment to a realistic, low calorie food plan is the first step to losing weight. My food plan is very low calorie, but I am being supervised by a doctor. I am also older and less mobile; so, my calorie limit makes sense for me...but not necessarily for you.

Love to you all, Sue (aka Hanfordrose, Rosie, Bat Grannie, Bat Gran). By the way, thanks for the new nickname.

05-05-13Sue01_zps8a895415.jpg?
    You ROCK!! Your post (and resopnse) goes to show that not all of us come to these boards with the same goals and one size DEFINITELY does not fit all. While there are some scientific principles to weight loss and fitness, we each have our own goals and challenges that will be different than everyone else. Kudos to you, Bat Grannie!

BTW, my grandmother is 95 and STILL exercises daily. I'm sure you have 30 or more years still ahead of you. Keep doing what you're doing. (Oh, and I also second the resistance band idea. They are awesome. Lots of good YouTube videos that others have suggested will help you get started. When I was recovering from an injury, my physicial therapist recommended them to me. Your PT might also have some good exercises to suggest.)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I love everything about this...best of luck to you!
  • saviarre
    saviarre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am quite certain that I adore you! Congratulations on Leveling Up!!
  • gold566
    gold566 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

By the way, I went to your wall. It says that you are a 35 year old male. It also says that you have no MFP friends and have lost ZERO pounds lost according to your ticker. Are you just here to give your advice and opinion on the subject of exercise without being a part of MFP? I don't believe that you are a trainer or professional coach, because your comments sound so negative...almost to the point of discouraging folks who are less than full on athletes. You might want to soften your approach to other MFP folks. You will find them more willing to listen to your advice.

You are amazing and sassy all at the same time!!!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! I wish my grannies were lifting weights! And Lol at the "bat granny" comment!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Love love love this post! You are amazing!!!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Oh, my goodness. I got so busy this morning that I forgot to weigh myself. I said a little prayer, asking for some good news. What a lovely surprise! I have lost another 1.2 pounds in the last 3 days. It appears that I am doing something right.

By the way, I don't even ache in my shoulders today, after using my new 3 pound weights yesterday. So, there is no reason to think that I can't do my exercises today with those bigger weights again.

...and just for my MFP friends who suggested the resistance bands, I will picking them up at the Walmart, when I get paid on the first.

Our money is running a bit low at the moment. My hubbie has been spending it on building his latest toy...his new invention...a recumbent bike made from 3 other bikes, an office chair and who knows what else. If you think that I am a 'go getter grannie', check out the man that I married on his brand new bike. (Note: I took this photo this morning.)

05-24-13EdsNewInventionBest_zpsf683caa1.jpg?t=1369431449

Imagine keeping up with this guy. At 65 years old, my hubbie has more energy and life in him than any of our grandkids; and every kid that knows him wants to grow up to be just like 'Pastor Special Ed'. That goes for the older kids too...You know...the ones of "a certain age". The neighborhood men in our 55+ community are all wanting to take a turn at riding this 'accident on wheels' that Ed just welded together yesterday.

Men!!! They never grow up. :wink:
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for you! Green is a much better color and I'm sure soon enough you'll be looking for the next pound or two up. thanks for sharing and giving inspiration to those who need it.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I really do have the same problem at 47 and I hate the weights but I need to get into them. I do like the rowing machine though. Well see how are arms are at the end of this. Bottomline if we are at healthier weights and we are bat grannies with no money for surgery we will still be more healthy and confident at the end of this dont ya think?? Take care from a fellow BAT GRANNIE LOL