Help with a weight training plan?

Options
I have been running for years (on and off) and feel like I am in a good place there, but I have recently thought I should take on some weight training (another valuable piece of advice thanks to my MFP peeps:))

My question is: How do I go about making a plan to do this so I don't walk into that side of the gym and not know what to do? Do i plan an arm workout one day and a leg the next? How many reps of what? Any online resources to share? (I love Google but haven't found a whole lot).

Thanks to all in advance!

Replies

• bsmith986
    bsmith986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow mfp friends :cry: I have never had a thread that got 0 replies before.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, there are lots of resources. I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women which is a book. Now I just started a program by Nia Shanks. Google her and read some of her website. I like her because she keeps it simple and to the basics and she doesn't make you think you have to have all these supplements or anything special to get results, just eating sensibly and hard work.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you have the opportunity, it really might be best to have someone show you how to do various lifts so that you know that you are doing it correctly. I think books are great, don't get me wrong, but I was doing deadlifts wrong and kept straining my back until I asked a trainer to help with form. I second the New Rules book, as well as Starting Strength, Women's Health Big book of Exercises, and Stronglifts. They all have various routines and you can choose what suits you. Good Luck.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has a lot of routines that you could try. If you start here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

You can input your sex, age, type of plan (fat loss or muscle building) and it will suggest several programs.
    Mike
  • Angelwings1967
    Options
    I have a book called The Women's Health Big Book of Exercise. It is an excellent book and has over 600 different exercises with pictures and descriptions on how to perform the exercises properly for both machine and free weights. It also has 6 and 12 week work out plans in the book for you to do depending on what your goals are.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting, keep it simple. These first two programs are very similar and are very easy to learn. You only need to do 5 different lifts, and you only do 3 different lifts on any given day.

Starting Strength - a book with very detailed descriptions of how to do the lifts, and a simple, no-nonsense program
    Stronglifts 5x5 - a website with annoying male-centric hype all over it, but still an excellent women's starter program

Perhaps most popular

New Rules of Lifting for Women - I think this book is easier to read, but the program is more complicated and progresses more slowly.

Stronglifs and NROL4W both have groups here on myfitnesspal. Lots of good information in the stickies. All three are good beginner's programs - look 'em over, pick the one that looks like the most fun, and dive in!
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use an app called JEFit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You do not have the requisite knowledge to make your own lifting plan. Do a solid beginner program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts 5x5. Do an actual program that has everything spelled out for you. Doing your own plan (that is effective) requires an advanced knowledge of lifting and years of experience.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would suggest investing in a personal trainer for an hour. They'll map out a plan for you using your gym's equipment and get you off to a good start. A website that's chock full of good information is http://scoobysworkshop.com/ Also another one (that somebody also mentioned) is Bodybuilding.com. Both sites have female specific information and workout plans.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Starting Strength
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    First do 10 min cardio work on treadmill/elliptical to warm up. Then go through all the weight machines to start so you can feel comfortable around weights. Depending on the time you have, you can do one day lower body and the next time upper body. Leave 48 hours between exercising the same body area.
    Try this website and watch the videos on how to use each machine.
    exrx.net