Swimming

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
It's my challenge to myself, I guess I could say, to re-learn how to swim this summer. I attempted it today-30 minutes. First time I swam in YEARS. Never been a strong swimmer but I don't drown.

I had calf cramps and my ankles hurt while I swam (after just first few laps). Any suggestions on a basic beginner level stroke? I know I'll get stronger but I'd love some advice.

Replies

• hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    what stroke were you doing?
    i always find the easiest strokes are either breast stroke or back stroke.

back stroke is the easiest but you have to be careful not to collide with anyone! x
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Just your basic breast stroke is my favorite. I also like to do the back stroke with just arms and then just go backwards kicking my legs to work my thighs.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing but I didn't doggie paddle (well much anyway)

I'll look those up - thanks!

I know I sound really stupid but I've just never been a swimmer-my pool experience is jump in get wet to cool off from being in the sun and back out!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i like breast stroke but the leg action tends to strain my hamstrings because it is such an unnatural action-well it is when i do it!!--when done properly you can keep up with people who are doing crawl.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Hey Chrissy!
    I have read that you must be careful doing breast stroke and running. the way you kick your feet may put added stress on your knees -- something you don't need as a runner. Keep working on freestyle/crawl/doggie paddle. You can also try using a kick board to help. Good luck!
    Julie
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    the best thing you can do is learn to breathe regularly and properly. That being said... I can't necessarily help you do that! LOL...

Tips though - doing forward crawl / "freestyle" breathe to the side basically like you are sniffing your armpit - It will let you take a long deep breath as your arm comes up and over. Don't lift your head fwd or up. Look at the bottom of the pool - not ahead of you. Try to learn to breathe on both sides not just one.

Also - style wise - when i learned way back in the day on swim team from age 7.... keep your hand slightly cupped, don't go straight down in front / underneath you under water... make a bit of a curve or lightbulb shape as you stroke and then push down toward / past your hip (standing you can imagine it is how one would describe a voluptuous woman's shape with their hands... minus the hips though)

Keep your knees straight. Keep your feet in the water but up near the surface (ie not sinking down bogging you down). Basically you should not splash by your feet but just bubble the water like a spa.

And lastly - get an underwater MP3 player and listen to music or books on tape to kill the time. I have an H20 Man. lower end, but works well and $20 new on ebay! no shuffle feature, but works well for books i get online from the library.