How to stop craving junk food?

Options
Okay, I loooovvvvveeee sweets. I always have. I am trying to stop eating them but it is really hard when I crave them constantly. It is especially hard when my friends are eating sweets around me. I always feel the need to eat sweets when I am around them. Is there any way to get rid of this craving for sweets?

Replies

• Shannon16385
    Options
    I actually brush my teeth after dinner to stop me from eating sweets at night time-

During the day I try to keep healthy snacks around to eat if I'm craving something.

I've also traded soda out for the V8 Fusion Energy drinks.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Try fruit in place of sweets. I'm a big sucker for sweets, too...and my fiancee keeps tons of them in the house. But I keep them out of my reach (literally, back of the top of the refrigerator where I can't reach them) and on really good days I treat myself to a piece of chocolate. Don't deny yourself too much or you'll cave eventually. Small treats are always good! :)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Everyone always says it make people crave sweets more but i grab a coke zero or diet when im feeling like something sweet! the bubbles keep me full which stops me from snacking out on other stuff
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you'll probably always experience cravings to some degree. Some people feel that Shakeology curbs cravings, and for some it does, but there's no one way to just stop having cravings.

It just takes a serious attitude towards weight loss to fight them off. If you want this badly enough, you won't over indulge. That's not say that you should completely cut out the things you crave, as that can lead to bigger binges later, but everything in moderation.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Okay, I loooovvvvveeee sweets. I always have. I am trying to stop eating them but it is really hard when I crave them constantly. It is especially hard when my friends are eating sweets around me. I always feel the need to eat sweets when I am around them. Is there any way to get rid of this craving for sweets?

Stop eating the crap and don't have it around you.............just like an alcoholic or drug addict wouldn't have alcohol or drugs around them if they are trying to stop.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i like the dove promises for my chocolate craving. i can stop at one, and it makes me feel like i'm not denying myself anything. that puts me back in control. :tongue:
  • Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have found that the less junk I eat, the less I crave it. It's hard in the beginning. But it pays off if you stick with it and it definitely gets easier.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As if fruit curbs junk cravings :laugh:

The answer is to eat it. Plan ahead and for it into your goals for the day. I eat ice cream almost every day. Planning reasonable portions keeps me from bringing on entire pints.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your macros in small portions.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    As if fruit curbs junk cravings :laugh:

The answer is to eat it. Plan ahead and for it into your goals for the day. I eat ice cream almost every day. Planning reasonable portions keeps me from bringing on entire pints.

Actually I do find that *good* fruit will completely stop my cravings for sweets in their tracks. I understand, though, that not everyone likes fruit that much or gets the same enjoyment from it. I completely agree with your view of ice cream. I'm finding I'm eating it several times a week, but I generally stick to the 1/2 cup serving. If I know I can always have some more tomorrow, that takes away the temptation to overdo it.

So, yeah, OP, just work a sweet or two into your plan.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    pineapples are sweet like candy.. i love pineapples..i don't eat them enough.
    put some cinnamon on an apple and microwave viola apple pie (and it's super healthy!)
    get cinnamon honey (or mix cinnamon in local honey) and put it in yogurt or on a piece of fruit..
    Cherries also do it for me
    high quality chocolate is lower in calories, better for you and satisfy the chocolate craving. get like 60% or higher i usual go with 70-80%.. but I don't like really sweet chocolate.
    unsweetened cocoa powder is chock full of protein.. mix it with milk and a little sugar or maybe some honey (never tried it just brains storming)
    I use chocolate protein powder to make chocolate milk.
    apple juice sweetened cranberries. mmmm so good.. and totally like eating candy..i have them often
    I get organic multi-grain chips from the natural grocery store (late july brand is really good!) or make my own

but if you really want the really unhealthy snack, have a small piece of it.. and hopefully that will quell the craving.

Honestly if you eat things that are naturally sweet or salty and crunchy you'll probably satisfy the craving without intending to. I find then when I want chips I'm either craving salt or crunch.. both of which I can get from other healthier substances. Of course sometimes I just gotta have chips. LOL
  • marygoodnight007
    Options
    I've adopted the philosophy from the book "French Women Don't Get Fat" I eat healthy most of the time but if there is something I really want I have it and adjust my diet accordingly (and I don't waste my calories on junky chocolate with a lot of wax and high fructose corn syrup in them) This week I had a half cup of Ben and Jerry's...it was bliss.