HELP! I ate too much at a restaurant today?

Options
I went out for sushi today with my family to celebrate and it was a buffet style.
This is my third day on my fitness plan so i'm still trying to fix my errors..I didn't think I ate too much but when I entered it in my mfp journal the numbers shocked me and I consumed WAY more calories than I've been eating the past few days.

I'm near tears even though I can't undo it..it's a learning experience (a really fattening one though!)

I've burned about a thousand calories exercising today to make up for it though.

Now my question is...how much is this one day of over-eating impact the next 5 weeks of my weight loss? Will it make me gain weight?

Thanks!! : )

Replies

• ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just chalk it up as a learning experience. You might want to do a little extra exercise for the next few days, but I wouldn't try to cut back on calories to make it up. That might just cause you to binge. Just continue with your plan and everything will be okay. Good luck to you.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    no biggie....stop kicking yourself...learn from it and move on. no one expects you to eat perfectly every day, thats pressure you are putting on you, and don't do that! just do your best to make good choices, and tomorrow is always a new fresh day to try again.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    It's okay to mess up, nobody is born with an innate understanding of how many calories are in every single thing and these things happen. You can start again tomorrow, just learn from today and remember that lesson. :)
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    It was one day and it was the beginning. Don't stress! I was just like this at the beginning of my journey!! But please don't stress. You won't lose all your progress or inhibit future progress. That isn't to say I endorse binging. But a slip up won't hurt you! (I was on a cruise for 5 days, didn't log or exercise and I'm back on my plan now and right back on track!) This isn't the end of the world, just get yourself back on track, stay motivated!! Good luck!! :)
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    hey u... don't beat yourself up .... It's over and done with... how about u try to do better tomorrow...never let the past dictate what happens in your future.. It was a learning experience..do just that Learn and move on...:drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • karennelson212
    Options
    It's ok! Just get back on track tomorrow and you will b fine. We've all done it and will probably do it again but as long as you don't do it every day you will b ok. Good luck!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Like the others say, be kind to yourself. One of the hardest things for many of us is to relearn how to eat. Restaurant food is a big shocker. One day isn't going to derail you. Go to bed, get up tomorrow and eat healthy. Don't ever punish yourself over food.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    One day is not the end of the world. Some people on here decide to have one "cheat day" every week! Now you've learned and you can start fresh tomorrow. You may see a gain on the scale from water weight if you ate a lot of sodium, but in a few days you'll be back to normal.

Also just a general tip for your mental health, try not to think of exercise as a punishment for eating. Don't think "oh man I ate too much today now I need to burn 1000 calories." Just exercise like you normally would (if you normally would at all) and move on.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    it's all good girl! don't stress about it! rome wasn't built in a day....go easy on yourself. and besides, you worked it all off anyway I'm sure! :)
  • drosen32
    drosen32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yep, don't worry about it. You'll be fine. You can walk some of it off, or go for a bike ride. I found that's it's tough at the beginning, trying to stay on course, but after awhile, it's fine and you'll get into the routine. Relax.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    IT is just one meal, and you are likely to have other meals out, and other slip ups. This is not an issue if it is not a regular thing. Your body is perfectly capable of balancing out the occasional splurge or binge. Please try and not get into the habit of hitting the hard exercise everytime you think you overate, to burn the calories off. That can be a vicious cycle and is not a healthy mindset.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    No reason to cry. This will happen again. It's about balance--overall, over the span of weeks and months.
  • arianamzai
    arianamzai Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the encouragement... going to make sure this doesn't happen again!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the "next 5 weeks" (BTW, that estimate MFP gives when you complete a diary is not accurate at all)..just focus on doing better tomorrow.

Its not likely you'll have a huge impact on your progress, especially since you just started. Depending how much you want/need to lose, this is a long process, and you'll have some way over-calorie days from time to time (this is called LIFE)..

Breathe deeply, and let it go!

june+16+post+tomorrow+is+another+day.jpg
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Didn't I see aother post from you saying you never get to your daily calorie goal? If so, no worries - you don't have to eat that much every day, but average it over the week. Seems like your restaurant trip will help you get to your average goal.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    You will do fine! Just shake it off and get back on track tomorrow. Soon enough clean eating will be a matter of course for you and you won't have to worry about "breaking." It is only day 3 after all. Mistakes happen! Just look forward. :)