Sodium ALERT

Options
2»

Replies

• watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that it would change for each day, so I went back and checked my sodium intake. Let's just say I was all over the place.

some days WAY over, some days WAY under, and some days right on the money...Hum..investigation will ensue... At least I'm not WAY over everyday....:tongue:
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    I have to say that I love salt!!!
    I always tell my self : don't put salt on the table...the food taste delicious with out the salt!! but always use a BIT more...:devil:

But, from tomorrow I'm going to start a new goal: Use half of the salt or less in my cooking!!
    WHO IS WITH ME?
    I don't use salt for the kids food, so I could do the same for me!! and start appreciate food again in it natural way...

From tomorrow guys....Let me know if you do the same.....

Good luck with that:heart::heart:
    Sonia
  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Posts: 55
    Options
    I have hypertension, so i have to watch salt. You can buy a lot of reduced salt or no salt added tomato products in cans. There are also reduced salt or no salt added beans, if you don't have time to cook your own from dry.

Also, watch out for sodium in bread. There is tons. I have switched to a low salt whole wheat bread which only has 70mg per two slices rather than the normal range of 270-330mg for regular bread. (If you are in Australia, this is Moore's specialty breads low salt wholemeal)
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    I have hypertension, so i have to watch salt. You can buy a lot of reduced salt or no salt added tomato products in cans. There are also reduced salt or no salt added beans, if you don't have time to cook your own from dry.

Also, watch out for sodium in bread. There is tons. I have switched to a low salt whole wheat bread which only has 70mg per two slices rather than the normal range of 270-330mg for regular bread. (If you are in Australia, this is Moore's specialty breads low salt wholemeal)

Do you find this type of bread at a health food store? I have never seen low sodium bread here (in the USA) in the regular supermarkets, in fact I didn't know there was such a bread! :noway:
  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Posts: 55
    Options

Do you find this type of bread at a health food store? I have never seen low sodium bread here (in the USA) in the regular supermarkets, in fact I didn't know there was such a bread! :noway:

No, I bought in a regular grocery stores (Woolworths and Franklins) in Australia. I think its domestically made.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    There are also salt substitutes that you can buy to reduce your sodium even more.
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    I was just in town, and I got 'Japanese Organic Hatcho Miso'.
    (unpasteurized fermented soya bean puree)
    I will use it instead of salt to enrich the flavor of soups, stews, beans, sauces.....
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    This is copy and pasted from the Campbell's website:
    (Quote) Why the concern about sodium (salt)?
    Increased sodium in the diet has been associated with an increase in blood pressure. This association varies by age, gender, race, and family history. The latest Dietary Guidelines recommend keeping sodium intakes to less than 2,300 milligrams per day, which is about one teaspoon. Individuals with high blood pressure, blacks, and middle-aged and older adults are advised to consume no more than 1,500 milligrams of sodium a day. For more information on this guideline, visit the Dietary Guidelines .

Other dietary factors can affect blood pressure. These include nutrients found in vegetables and fruits like potassium, magnesium, and fiber. Lifestyle factors, like smoking cessation, have been shown to moderate blood pressure. The recommendation for potassium intake for Americans has been recently increased from 3,500 to 4,700 milligrams per day to help combat high blood pressure among Americans. (Unquote)

Yet even their low sodium soups contain 480mg per 1 cup serving prepared. (that doesn't include the 25% less sodium, they have 680mg per 1/2 cup condensed). Nutritional values are sad as well.

The amazing thing to me is, the products endorsed byt he American Heart Association for heart health, do NOT address the sodium content of those foods. Many have almost 1,000mg per 1 cup serving (soup, which happens to have 2 servings per can, even the ready to eat soups). You'd think seeing a label with an endorsement for heart healthy food would also be low sodium, not so!

I'm so glad this was brought up, thank you again graypink0130 :flowerforyou: , I suspect this may be why many times after I eat I feel my heart pounding so hard. This was especially noticeable after chinese food, even wonton soup. (I tried ordering just the wontons as take out, and used low sodium chicken broth for the liquid, and I didn't experience the pounding in my chest so I wonder if the broth made the difference) My doctor never said anything about watching salt intake, but I'm on 2 different types of blood pressure medications...can't believe this wasn't mentioned. She only said lose weight and exercise more.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Grrr... just added sodium to my food profile. Just after lunch and I'm already 359 mg's over the limit!!! What am I going to do the rest of the day???

fruit, veggies!!! Water!!!

:noway: Angela
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    How do you add sodium in to your profile????:noway:
    And how do you know how much are you taking???
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You go under the tab food and then settings and pick it from the drop down list.
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    You go under the tab food and then settings and pick it from the drop down list.
    I got it!!
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    Grrr... just added sodium to my food profile. Just after lunch and I'm already 359 mg's over the limit!!! What am I going to do the rest of the day???

fruit, veggies!!! Water!!!

:noway: Angela
    I just added sodium to my profile to!!
    What is your limit? in my food profile say max. 2500. Is it mg?