what is up with starvation mode...

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
I swear if I see one more person say that "because you are only eating 1200 calories a day you are in starvation mode"...

no no no no no and no ..you can't eat 1200 calories a day and be in starvation mode. You have to eat nothing for 72 hours and even then the effects are minimal...

sighs, I swear my mission on MFP is to correct this BS ...oh and I used to believe in this crap myself too ....

whats the lamest starvation mode claim you have seen?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Meh, forgetting about the term "starvation mode" which is over used and misunderstood here, eating too few calories over a long period of time has a negative effect whether it is truly starvation mode or not.

Just because someone is not in starvation mode doesn't mean there is no concern.

But yea, lets just forget that phrase.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Meh, forgetting about the term "starvation mode" which is over used and misunderstood here, eating too few calories over a long period of time has a negative effect whether it is truly starvation mode or not.

Just because someone is not in starvation mode doesn't mean there is no concern.

But yea, lets just forget that phrase.

how about we throw it in the dumpster?
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It's not starvation mode I agree !!! Even though MFP has tailored the amount of calories you should have doesn't mean you can't alter it to suit YOU.

It's trial and error.

I eat about half as what I used to because I enjoy being fit but half of that was ****e so it is actually advantageous!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i love it when someone is like ' oh no I missed snack 10 of 11 I am in starvation mode.." F'ing please...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    oh, that reminds me, I need to eat some ice cream so I don't go into starvation mode . . .
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem and confusion I see is, people seem to interpret the meaning with multiple definitions.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    oh, that reminds me, I need to eat some ice cream so I don't go into starvation mode . . .

I'll share mine!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    The biggest problem and confusion I see is, people seem to interpret the meaning with multiple definitions.

Like so many other things on this site.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. And like if you skip breakfast you'll be in starvation mode and your metabolism goes haywire or whatever.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options

No kidding.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So like I listened to this tape once and well...
    How-to-Get-Into-Starvation-Mode1.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options

its been three hours since I last ate ...*kitten* starvation mode....F me!
  • ndj1979
    Options

No kidding.

LOL like cleanses clean out toxins???
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

oh noz!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

oh noz!!!!!

im going to gain ten pounds....*kitten*
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

No kidding.

LOL like cleanses clean out toxins???

I was thinking more legit terms that are misunderstood.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

oh noz!!!!!

im going to gain ten pounds....*kitten*

ENlpYUS.gif
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    YOU MUST STOKE THE METABOLIC FIRE EAT EVERY 2 HOURS
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    the other thing that gets on my tits is people losing their minds if someone eats slightly under their BMR
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. And like if you skip breakfast you'll be in starvation mode and your metabolism goes haywire or whatever.

Yup - and if you eat breakfast you will "jump start" your metabolism... total BS