Gastric Sleeve Patients?????

Options

Replies

• smilungi84
    Options
    Good afternoon friends!!

I had my gastric sleeve on 5-19-14 and I am feeling pretty good. I started at 314 and am down to 281. The only complications I had from my surgery was a gout attack from the increased protein and dehydration after surgery. Before surgery I drank A LOT of water each day and now I feel like it is a constant task that I must always be diligent to address. The one thing I got from my amazing program is the importance of fluid intake! Getting your fluids in can be the difference between a good day and a crappy day! I also get kidney stones when I get dehydrated, so I am doing everything I can to stay hydrated! Second, I never had any problems with acid reflux, but now first thing in the mornings I feel the burn! 20 mg of Pepcid ($4 for 50 at Walmart) does the trick!

My program did not require a two week pre-op liquid diet, but it did two weeks after. I am now on baby-food/pureed for a week, then soft foods for a week, and at 4 weeks post-op I will be on a regular diet. I have noticed that since I got off the liquid diet my weight-loss has slowed, even with only eating 3/4c of food max, and I was a bit discouraged at first. Then I said to myself that I really need to change my thinking! I have never before had so much energy that my seven and nine year old quit an activity before I did! I am excited to go to the gym and work out (even though I have always loved exercise, even at 314!). I think what will be best for me is if I put the scale away and check my progress only once a week. I know I will be losing weight because if I just compare the portions I was eating before, the type of food AND energy level from then to now, there is no way I can't be losing!!

I was so lucky to have an amazing program and surgeon who called me back at 5 am on a Sunday morning when my gout attack started to let me know what medicine was safe to take. Every concern I have called them with has been answered promptly, and each step of the diet progression has been explained so I know why I can't have this/that, and why I need this/that. I think that the program you choose is such an important part of your success!

I wish everyone luck in their weight loss journey. I loved reading all of your stories!!
  • RZJP
    RZJP Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on my third day of the pre-op liquid diet. I'm scheduled for the sleeve on 6/20, so only 12 more days! I can't wait. I've struggled with my weight since I was a small child. At my largest I was 260. I was at 230 when I weighed in before the pre-op diet. Excited to see how much I've lost when I weigh in before surgery. I've tried every diet under the sun, they all worked for a while, but then I gained the weight back and then some. I have high blood pressure due to renal stenosis so the weight loss may not help me get off of those meds. I have metabolic syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome, gastroparesis from having salmonella two years ago, and type two diabetes. My doctor suggested the surgery to fix the gastroparesis and my weight problem as well. I'll be happy if it fixes the gastroparesis and any weight loss will be a bonus. So glad I found this thread.
  • addismom0702
    Options
    My surgery was scheduled today for July 21st. Any suggestions as to what to do or not do? What about hunger after surgery???
  • stepholl
    stepholl Posts: 15
    Options
    I have my surgery scheduled for 6/18. I'm at 242 now and just started my liquid only diet today. I'm nervous for the after surgery healing! How long did it take to get over pain? How much pain were people in?
  • stepholl
    stepholl Posts: 15
    Options
    How are you doing now?
  • jules6157
    jules6157 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Had my surgery January20,2014 things are great here no major problems my heaviest 350, lost thirty before surgery now down to 252. I am happy and healthy feelilng the best I have felt in years no diabetes medicine anymore blood pressure is 124/68 which is great compared to what it was. I eat just about anything except pasta and breads. I have had a beer or two once in a while, no pop since October last year
    I do feel nauseated in the morning before I eat but that is about the only thing I have problems with. Loosing a little hair but I have lots of it so that isn't bad.
    Trying to get my proteins in that I struggle with.

Its great going to the store and finding cute clothes that fit off the rack instead of having to order out of a catalog have cleaned my closet out twice now with clothes that are to big wear belt with work jeans so they don't fall down.
    I hope everyone has a great experience with there surgery as I have. Good Luck
  • jules6157
    jules6157 Posts: 10
    Options
    I really didn't have pain after surgery a little nausea but stomach didn't really hurt:happy:
  • wchillhowell
    wchillhowell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having Sleeve surgery August 26, 2014. At first I was apprehensive but now I see because of being an emotional eater and anxious that I've been eating more than usual lately, so I realize I need help. I am a male, 5'11 and 350 lbs! I'm going through all the pre-op arrangements now, etc...EKG, blood work, behavior and nutritional counseling. It's so hard to wait but I guess I've waited all these years. I'm anxious because a lot of my weight was gained this Winter (40lbs) and now with Summer here I can not hide it any longer. Although it's ALL weight-310 lbs to 350 lbs makes a BIG difference! I've read from a few of you about a pre-opt diet? Would someone please explain that? How long is it for? What does it involve? Any words of wisdom while waiting? I'm sure all of you were once exactly in my position!
  • missmom57
    missmom57 Posts: 12
    Options
    I just had my surgery on the 4th of June 2014 and you won't have the hunger after surgery, when they remove the part of the stomach it takes with it a hormone that tells the brain your hungery, I am still on liquids and just got to add a soft egg, cottage cheese and ff refried beans, I do my three meals per say and then drink slowly protein and water inbetween to get the liquid in which we have to have, gas is the only problem I had, infact I know when to stop because its like a gas bubble expands in my stomach, I have been very tired, but found out my blood count is low, which can make you tired, so now on Iron, chewable in with a multi, another treat..my highest weight was 337, surgery weight 308, today 293.6, pretty great for only 8 days, good luck, friend me if you like, Cindy
  • melinda6820
    Options
    Hi there my surgery was Monday 6/9/14, got home from the hospital today. I'm doing extremely well stil doingl full liquid for now. No, gas but hope that get better for you. Please keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same.
  • teshie241
    teshie241 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I am 31 and I am currently in the process if doing the 6 month weight loss program supervised by a doctor in order to get the sleeve. I have 2 more dietitian appointments to complete and the psych eval to complete. I was supposed to have the eval done today in fact, but it was canceled. So frustrating! I'm hoping to have my surgery in 3 months from now and since starting the dietitian appointments in January I have lost 25 pounds. I have found there was so much I didnt know about. Its amazing. I am really super excited to start this new journey to getting back to the real me. Sadly however I do not have the support system I need. Everyone keeps telling me I am doing the wrong thing. To do it the "natural" way. The thing is I have done so many weight loss programs, and nothing seems to work for long. I have done a lot of research and I am comfortable with my choice of following through with this journey I have started. I know this procedure is not a "quick fix" and that it is only a tool to help keep me on the path I want to be on. I could really use some friends that are going through this life change. People who can help with advice and support I so desperately need :)
    Tesha
  • ksmomwithxtra
    Options
    I go in for surgery on June 30. I am wondering what to expect those first few weeks even months. The good, the bad and the ugly.
  • rhetta444
    rhetta444 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, my name is Rhetta. I have just made a decision to have gastric surgery and have decided on the sleeve. At present, I am working with a dietician and other support staff for a six month monitored weight loss plan. I'm curious to hear your insights on your surgery, and what things you did leading up to your surgery to prepare. I attended an orientation seminar, and I had my first appointment with the dietician and surgeon on Tuesday. I'm also researching and reading up on as much as I can. Hope to hear from you, and thanks for sharing
  • rhetta444
    rhetta444 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tesha, I've been told the same thing but I have been overweight all my life (59 now). As a result, my knees deteriorated and I had to have double knee replacement surgery. I tried to lose weight all my life, some people can do it with diet and exercise and some can't, I learned a long time ago I am one of the ones who can't. I wish this surgery could have been available 25 years ago, my life would have been much happier, healthier, and more fulfilling. It is as you say not a instant fix, but a tool that will enable us to eat healthier, get full (I don't know about you but by the time I get the full signal, I have already consumed too much food). I wish you much luck and success. I have just started and decided on the sleeve because I think that would work well for me as opposed to the bypass. I attended orientation on 5/29 and just had my first appointment with the dietician and met my surgeon. I just joined myfitness pal and I like it. Having to make the entries make me more conscious of what and how much I am eating. I look forward to having my surgery in some mid-November or early December.
  • dezbie
    dezbie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi huns! my name is Dahlia, 19, and my surgery is 6/26.. I am 295 pounds. I start my liquid diet on the 19th and I am very nervous. I don't lots of support going through this process
    , most people just are like "why don't you just exercise?" and I'm just hoping to find somebody who is getting their surgey around the same time as me so we can go through it together and keep each other going or even someone who's done it already and can assure me everything that is happening is normal when if I start to get concerned. I am beyond excited for this surgery and I've heard nothing but good things about the sleeve and I've done lots of research so I'm mostly just nervous to go under. So I could really use support from someone that really understands!
  • ARICRUZ33
    ARICRUZ33 Posts: 2
    Options
    HI FOR ANYONE OUT THERE I HAD MY SLEEVE SURGERY ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO, MAY 8TH.. SO FAR IM DOWN CLOSE TO 30LBS SINCE SURGERY, IM BACK AT WORK NOW, AND I AS WELL FIND MYSELF GRAZING.. I TEND TO HURT LESS AND I DO TRY TO GRAZE ON HEALTHY FOODS NOT JUNK FOODS SO IM HOPING THIS ISN'T AS BAD, BUT MY CONCERN IS THAT I STILL GET WHAT I CALL HUNGER PAINS.. DR. SAID IT MIGHT BE DUE TO LACK OF PROTEIN WHICH I'VE BEEN WORKING ON INCREASING. ANY HOW, SO FAR I'VE HAD NO REGRETS IT HASN'T BEEN EASY BUT MOSTLY ITS BECAUSE WE ARE A FAMILY OF BIG EATERS FOR EVERY OCCASION SO THIS DOES MAKE IT A BIT MORE CHALLENGING, BUT I'VE LEARNED CONTROL FOOD, NOT LET IT CONTROL ME... MIND OVER MATTER... SO MY JOURNEY BEGINS!!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE =)

~ARI
  • ARICRUZ33
    ARICRUZ33 Posts: 2
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HERE TO SUPPORT YOU AS WELL, I DIDN'T GET MUCH SUPPORT EITHER, BUT I ACCEPTED THIS WAS MY DECISION FOR MY WELL-BEING, NOT NO ONE ELSE.. HANG IN THERE ANYQUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW, I HAD MY SURGERY 5/8/14 ... IT HASN'T BEEN A WALK IN THE PARK BUT MOST OF IT IS MENTAL, YOU WILL DO JUST FINE!!!!
    ~ARI
  • barbarapratt735
    Options
    This is something I am afraid of, too. I'm still on liquids for a couple of days until I see the surgeon again, but my mind is constantly on food---what to eat, how much, when, etc.

I hope this moves down into a routine real fast.
  • barbarapratt735
    Options
    Rhetta, I'm 71 years old and just went through the process before sleeve surgery, the surgery, and now am 12 days into the follow up liquid diet.

By my reckoning, in my life time, I've lost: 115 pounds once, 50 three times, and 25 pounds so many times I can't count. It was obvious to me I could lose weight---though Weight Watcthers, TOPS, Overeater's Anonymous, Atkins and who knows how many more. I was desperate, since I hit my highest weight ever----270 pounds on a 5'1" frame.

I was 234 pounds at my last weigh in, 9 pound loss since surgery.

I'm only a couple of steps ahead of you in the process, but if you have questions, I'm here.
  • dixie70
    dixie70 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am having my surgery in August and am worried about how this will effect daily life. Any info will really be appreciated for pre and post op.