So i dropped a tire on my foot...

Options
Hi guys!

Recently, I've been working out quite often, considering I have rarely worked out in over 2 years, and i decided to start weights afyer cardio and limiting my calorie-intake.

I don't go to the gym, but the so called "weights" are random items in my house/garage that i use.

I dropped a really heavy tire on my foot and find it painful to workout now. My question is, will i stop losing weight without working out (I'm still limiting my calorie-intake/day) but I'm afraid that not being able to work out will not make me lose weight or maintain my current weight =( especially since i was making steady progress until now.

Please help, will not working out for a while halt my progress a lot?

Thanks! <3

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    As long as you continue eating at a defict, you should continue to lose. When I first started losing weight (90 lbs ago), I wasn't doing any exercise - the loss was purely diet based. Conversely, I have tried before to lose weight by exercising without changing diet and had no success.
  • bd12310007
    bd12310007 Posts: 24
    Options
    In terms of building muscle, and accomplishing fitness goals, ( like being able to increase the pounds you can lift, and how fast you can run a mile) it may set you back a little bit. But if you are eating healthy, and staying at, or under your calorie intake, you may still be able to continue to lose weight. I know that has worked for me sometimes, but its hard to say for sure because everyone's metabolism is different. They say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but I don't know how true that is. Plus, you can still do some exercises that don't rely on using your feet like arms and abs.

To prevent future injury I would suggest getting some free weights, or other small pieces of exercise equipment, or even joining a gym if you can afford it. Also, maybe see a doctor about your injury so you can figure out exactly whats wrong, and so that you will know what to do to recover, and how long you need to recover. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Hope your foot feels better soon!

You can still lose weight without working out. Before I came to MFP, I was on Weight Watchers and I didn't work out at all until a few months into the program. I still lost weight, so if you stick to your calorie goal, you can do it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Buy some proper weights. No way can you have perfect form lifting awkward shapes. You're lucky it was only a foot that you screwed up.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Buy some proper weights. No way can you have perfect form lifting awkward shapes. You're lucky it was only a foot that you screwed up.

This.
  • Persistence30
    Options
    I am not an expert but I have been told that weight loss without excerise is only temporary and we should figure out how to make it part of our lifestyles. With that being said it does sound like it is only temporary in your case. Since summer months are coming up can you go swimming somewhere for a few days a week? Granted I don't like swimming but that's what the doctors kept telling me to do last year after I got my cast off from breaking my ankle. It might slow down your weight loss but I don't think it should stop it but hopefully you can adjust and do something small for a few weeks while it recovers. I would still dedicate time doing something manageable to keep a routine of focusing on the healthy lifestyle of working out, even if its just sitting on the floor lifting dumbbells over your head etc.