10K run??

Options
This coming May, there's a big event here in Helsinki, Finland for us women!

Now, I know that Finland has a small population (only 5million) but to us this is huge!

Two days I go I tested out my fitness level in stamina if I could even do this 10k run... and I could just and just.

http://www.naistenkymppi.fi/site/english.html

I got 50 days to improve and only 8hours ( this includes my weight training as well) a week to train, no more. Any tips or advice???!!

I want to make it!

C, Finland, Europe

Replies

• soughtout
    soughtout Posts: 28
    Options
    This coming May, there's a big event here in Helsinki, Finland for us women!

Now, I know that Finland has a small population (only 5million) but to us this is huge!

Two days I go I tested out my fitness level in stamina if I could even do this 10k run... and I could just and just.

http://www.naistenkymppi.fi/site/english.html

I got 50 days to improve and only 8hours ( this includes my weight training as well) a week to train, no more. Any tips or advice???!!

I want to make it!

C, Finland, Europe
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Options
    First off, I saw in your profile that you have REALLY improved yourself weight wise. Congratulations!
    About the 10k, where are you at now running wise? How many km do you run at a time? how many times a week?
    If you aren't running now, take it easy at first. Otherwise, you will run one day and have one or two days of down time (hurting muscles, etc.). Been there, done that!
    If you are a patient type of person, there's a program called couch to 5km (you can google it): from the site:
    "Its secret is that it's a gentle introduction to getting the body moving, starting off alternating between walking and running small distances, and slowly building up until after 8 weeks, you're ready to run 5 kilometers or 30 minutes non stop."
    Now, I am NOT a patient type of person LOL, I started at first, injured myself and then restarted, after 6 months I up'd up to 10km 4/5 Xs a week but I started from 3/4 km to 5km in 6 month and then fast to 10 km but my hip joints, for example, were at risk at times :frown: sending me strange electric sensations telling me I was exagerating my training (too much, too fast). So, better go easy at the start and push YOUR body as much as you can (and want) in the time you have available.
    If you are already active and in decent shape you can run 5 km anyways but you risk injury. The classic rule is don't increase more than 10% a week in distance. Now for a 10 km, it is just two times longer than the 5 (obvious) but not 2 Xs harder, you just have to keep on going! As you have lost a LOT of weight you HAVE resistance! You know what it takes to not give up.
    From what you wrote, you have 1 hr x 4 a week (leaving you 1 hr X 4 for weight training still). Now, you can start off right away, walking and running in intervals as per a program (like couch to 5KM or others) and then just run more than what the program says to. At least once a week even after two/three week I'd suggest do a 10 km even if just walking a big part of it to get a sense of the distance. You can do it! Worse case is you start off running and then you jog the rest.
    Last thing: GOOD APPROPRIATE TYPE SHOES FOR YOUR FOOT TYPE and GOOD (read expensive) RUNNING SOCKS. When I started to run 10 km each day my feet hurt like hell :sad: and started to get blisters. Reading up a bit on the internet I found out that the pain I was experiencing came from the build up of heat from the friction of running and no more blisters. I resolved it by coating my feet (and between the toes for the blisters) in white vaseline and this reduced the heat and the hurt. Now, after two months my feet are used to the effort and even with cotton socks and no vaseline, I don't have a problem anymore. You should buy some special running socks (expensive) to solve these problems or 1 € of vaseline for the time being.
    Hope you have some great training and a great run!
    Thomas
  • soughtout
    Options
    First off, I saw in your profile that you have REALLY improved yourself weight wise. Congratulations!
    About the 10k, where are you at now running wise? How many km do you run at a time? how many times a week?
    If you aren't running now, take it easy at first. Otherwise, you will run one day and have one or two days of down time (hurting muscles, etc.). Been there, done that!
    If you are a patient type of person, there's a program called couch to 5km (you can google it): from the site:
    "Its secret is that it's a gentle introduction to getting the body moving, starting off alternating between walking and running small distances, and slowly building up until after 8 weeks, you're ready to run 5 kilometers or 30 minutes non stop."
    Now, I am NOT a patient type of person LOL, I started at first, injured myself and then restarted, after 6 months I up'd up to 10km 4/5 Xs a week but I started from 3/4 km to 5km in 6 month and then fast to 10 km but my hip joints, for example, were at risk at times :frown: sending me strange electric sensations telling me I was exagerating my training (too much, too fast). So, better go easy at the start and push YOUR body as much as you can (and want) in the time you have available.
    If you are already active and in decent shape you can run 5 km anyways but you risk injury. The classic rule is don't increase more than 10% a week in distance. Now for a 10 km, it is just two times longer than the 5 (obvious) but not 2 Xs harder, you just have to keep on going! As you have lost a LOT of weight you HAVE resistance! You know what it takes to not give up.
    From what you wrote, you have 1 hr x 4 a week (leaving you 1 hr X 4 for weight training still). Now, you can start off right away, walking and running in intervals as per a program (like couch to 5KM or others) and then just run more than what the program says to. At least once a week even after two/three week I'd suggest do a 10 km even if just walking a big part of it to get a sense of the distance. You can do it! Worse case is you start off running and then you jog the rest.
    Last thing: GOOD APPROPRIATE TYPE SHOES FOR YOUR FOOT TYPE and GOOD (read expensive) RUNNING SOCKS. When I started to run 10 km each day my feet hurt like hell :sad: and started to get blisters. Reading up a bit on the internet I found out that the pain I was experiencing came from the build up of heat from the friction of running and no more blisters. I resolved it by coating my feet (and between the toes for the blisters) in white vaseline and this reduced the heat and the hurt. Now, after two months my feet are used to the effort and even with cotton socks and no vaseline, I don't have a problem anymore. You should buy some special running socks (expensive) to solve these problems or 1 € of vaseline for the time being.
    Thomas

Oh wow!

Thankyou so much for your tips and guidance:smile::smile: :smile:

Well first of all, there's something wrong with my profile, because I keep changing what I've lost, and it keeps coming back the same 100lbs Lost -which isn't the case!! How do I change it for good, why does it keep coming back.

My weightloss is from 102kg to 80kg which is 22 kg lost (1kg is 2.2lbs) I'm very bad at math.

Last time I ran (jogged) went like this in kilometers

6kmph
    intervals 0-3
    40 minutes constant jogging
    4km

Yeah, and I don't want to injure myself -I would really like to run this 10km run... so I guess I should start carefully, huh. When do I know when I am over doing it? It's hard to know whats going on with your body.

I think i should invest in some good shoes definately! and socks. I have to find a good shop over here that provides what you suggested:smile:

I'm so out with exercize equipments and things:sad:
  • soughtout
    Options
    Thomas

http://www.naistenkymppi.fi/site/images/reitti.jpg here's the route!!:)
  • 1347debba
    1347debba Posts: 23
    Options
    Thomas what type of socks? Can you give a name brand etc.? I can't run , I have had a TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT , ( necrosis) but I do the fast walk and my feet hurt .
  • tekrueger
    Options
    Hi, we are on eurotime so in a few hours whe the folks in AMeria wake up I am sure you'll get some expert help from folks more expert than me.
    No problem for the suggestions and all. Frankly, I'D like to run 10KM. Really, I swim and race in open water competitions (from 1,5-5km) but maybe I'll try a 10km race this year.
    Ok, you didn't lose 45 kg but still 22 kg is great!!!! (I'm working still on losing that many after more than a year :grumble: ).

Ok, from what you wrote, you should be able to jog and walk the 10km without too much difficulty.
    Well, since you are already jogging easy now (on a treadmill???) you have just got to up your speed and the distance for the race.
    There are many programs out there on the internet, I'd suggest maybe to try to have periods of higher speeds; I do stuff like 5-10 min at my base pace then I up the speed 20-40% for 1-5 mins, then I back off, stuff like that, for one hour typically now. Other folks I know, go fast for 1 min then base pace for 2 mins and so on. Othertimes when I haven't been running for a few days or I am tired I just run for 60 minutes at a constant pace and that's good enough for me.
    As I said, I'm not en expert but I'd guess that you should try to run regularly 4Xs a week now what you are comfortably doing (let's say 3 km in 30 minutes); from there start those 3-4 Xs a week, then up the distance. I'd just try to become faster over the next few weeks trying to run 4 km in 30 minutes then 5 km in 30 mins. I'd after the 2nd or 3rd week take one session and try to go longer distances to see how long it takes you to run-walk the 10km. Then, once a week, try to improve. This is because you have a specific goal.
    Important for me to survive the first months of starting to run was a program of stretching that unfortunately takes up your time (just a little before, much more stretching afterwards) but will help you reduce your soreneess and flexibility rather than hurting after your runs; I like this site's info: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml
    Treadmills are easy for calculating all this; a good watch and measured distances outside will do the same but is more complicated.
    About injury: your body WILL tell you when you are exagerating. Just keep in mind that business about the feet (greasing them up and all), good socks and shoes.
    Other important thing to keep in mind: running surface - a good treadmill is pretty easy on the body as it provides some cushioning, running on dirt, grass, track fields are all good too (i.e., BETTER than concrete and asfalt, which are harder on your body = more impact).
    About the shoes:
    Where I live there aren't many good shops with folks you can trust. So, like I did a few months ago, if you want to take matters into your own hands about shoes, you can check out this web page where you can with a piece of cardboard find out what kind of feet you have and then find out what shoe models are most appropriate for you: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html
    For further info on feet, shoes and shoe fitting, to back up what's on runners wold, check out: www.epodiatry.com/running-shoes.htm
    Then, go to the stores with a few shoe models written down that will probably be the best picks for you and see how they are on your feet and pick the best one (and best price maybe too, great shoes are 40 € - 130 €!).
    Enough I think for you now and hope it helps. In fact I've got to go now; I go to run in just 30 mins:wink:
    Thomas
  • tekrueger
    Options
    Hi, we are on eurotime so in a few hours whe the folks in AMeria wake up I am sure you'll get some expert help from folks more expert than me.
    No problem for the suggestions and all. Frankly, I'D like to run 10KM. Really, I swim and race in open water competitions (from 1,5-5km) but maybe I'll try a 10km race this year.
    Ok, you didn't lose 45 kg but still 22 kg is great!!!! (I'm working still on losing that many after more than a year :grumble: ).

Ok, from what you wrote, you should be able to jog and walk the 10km without too much difficulty.
    Well, since you are already jogging easy now (on a treadmill???) you have just got to up your speed and the distance for the race.
    There are many programs out there on the internet, I'd suggest maybe to try to have periods of higher speeds; I do stuff like 5-10 min at my base pace then I up the speed 20-40% for 1-5 mins, then I back off, stuff like that, for one hour typically now. Other folks I know, go fast for 1 min then base pace for 2 mins and so on. Othertimes when I haven't been running for a few days or I am tired I just run for 60 minutes at a constant pace and that's good enough for me.
    As I said, I'm not en expert but I'd guess that you should try to run regularly 4Xs a week now what you are comfortably doing (let's say 3 km in 30 minutes); from there start those 3-4 Xs a week, then up the distance. I'd just try to become faster over the next few weeks trying to run 4 km in 30 minutes then 5 km in 30 mins. I'd after the 2nd or 3rd week take one session and try to go longer distances to see how long it takes you to run-walk the 10km. Then, once a week, try to improve. This is because you have a specific goal.
    Important for me to survive the first months of starting to run was a program of stretching that unfortunately takes up your time (just a little before, much more stretching afterwards) but will help you reduce your soreneess and flexibility rather than hurting after your runs; I like this site's info: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml
    Treadmills are easy for calculating all this; a good watch and measured distances outside will do the same but is more complicated.
    About injury: your body WILL tell you when you are exagerating. Just keep in mind that business about the feet (greasing them up and all), good socks and shoes.
    Other important thing to keep in mind: running surface - a good treadmill is pretty easy on the body as it provides some cushioning, running on dirt, grass, track fields are all good too (i.e., BETTER than concrete and asfalt, which are harder on your body = more impact).
    About the shoes:
    Where I live there aren't many good shops with folks you can trust. So, like I did a few months ago, if you want to take matters into your own hands about shoes, you can check out this web page where you can with a piece of cardboard find out what kind of feet you have and then find out what shoe models are most appropriate for you: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html
    For further info on feet, shoes and shoe fitting, to back up what's on runners wold, check out: www.epodiatry.com/running-shoes.htm
    Then, go to the stores with a few shoe models written down that will probably be the best picks for you and see how they are on your feet and pick the best one (and best price maybe too, great shoes are 40 € - 130 €!).
    Enough I think for you now and hope it helps. In fact I've got to go now; I go to run in just 30 mins:wink:
    Thomas
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

www.runningplanet.com/training/10K-training.html

www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

Good Luck!!
  • tekrueger
    Options
    1347debba,
    There are actually a couple of different socks out there that can help.
    As I wrote above, a first thing to do is "grease up" your feet with a white petroleum jelly, like vaseline, because it reduces the friction, reducing heat and in turn reducing the hurt from walking or running long distances (even just 5 or 6).

Here are the coolest and strangest ones to wear: the Injinji Micro Tetrasok Black
    (Price: 11.95, Anatomical 5-toe design
    Engineered to separate your toes
    Separated toes prevents skin-on-skin friction, which causes blisters
    Seamless construction forms to your feet
    Wicks away moisture between toes
    3-ply construction provides arch support
    Anti-slip heel
    Dual-welt band prevents slippage
    Content: 70% CoolMax/25% Nylon/5% Lycra
    Colors: Black
    Sizes: Small (SM) - Large (LG)

They literal are like gloves for your feet separating each of your toes! They come in black, white and even PINK!
    Here's one site to see the range of running socks; what you'll notice is that there are lots of special socks for women out there: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-WSOCKTYPE.html
    If I understand you correctly, you need extra cushioning, right? You should maybe get the double layer socks for more cushioning.
    I've noticied that for the reduction of friction and heat build up, all the special socks seem to have DryMax or CoolMax fibers in them and there are a lot of producers of socks out there. What we shouldn't do is just run with old cotton socks.
    Hope this helps.
    Thomas