Anyone starting StrongLifts 5X5

Options
Is anyone planning on starting or just started StrongLifts 5X5, planning on doing it from next week and it would be good to share the experience with others.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Thanks
Chris

Replies

• uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but my gym only has Smith machines (where the bar is on the tracks), which I'm guessing negates a good bit of that core work to stabilize it. Has anyone else had luck with or know if it would still be a worthwhile program?

I'm going to try it out tonight to see how it feels.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Will start in 2 weeks after I finish Insanity :)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm interested, but my gym only has Smith machines (where the bar is on the tracks), which I'm guessing negates a good bit of that core work to stabilize it. Has anyone else had luck with or know if it would still be a worthwhile program?

The problem with the Smith machine is that it's not going to let your body move along a natural plane, it is fixed so you have to adjust your body to make it work which usually leads to bad form and potentially injuring yourself.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm a few months into the program. It's great. You guys will like it.

One thing I learn so far is that you gotta learn the proper techniques for the exercises. Like the overhead press. You gotta flex the butt cheeks for prevent your lower back from hurting lol. I know how it sounds lol. But it works.

Have fun with the program
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options

Yeah do not use the smith machine. It'll teach poor form and you won't work everything that free weights will
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I started it on March 20 and although I have not "lost weight", I do see positive changes in my body. The weights have just started getting heavy to the point of failing reps. OHP was the first I failed, then Squats. I feel Bench press will be next or maybe Dead Lifts, because I'm having difficulty with my grip. Below is my latest history using the SL5x5 app.

27445807_2963.jpg
  • kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mehdi (the guy who runs StrongLifts) is very anti-smith machine, but the fact is if it's all you got, then it's all you got. For some folks $600 for a rack and oly set is a heck of a lot of money. I'm lucky because my gym at work has a squat rack with a 300lb oly set.

I'm at the end of week 3 of SL5x5. I was a "captain upperbody" before starting, so my squats are actually the hardest. I've been progressing Bench Press at 10 lbs per workout instead of 5, though I think next week I'll scale that back to 5.

My first week was horrible. I had only done leg press/quad extension stuff before, and that first week of squats I was in pain every day. Not the normal sore, I was in straight-up pain. Like can't-sit-down-on-the-sofa-because-I'll-never-get-back-up pain. :) After that first weekend with 2 days off, my squats didn't hurt any more. Now I'm just fatigued after a workout and my legs feel like jelly, but they don't *hurt*.

I get a few raised eyebrows in the gym when they see me do just 1 set of deads on the B workout, but we'll see if they keep that up when I'm deadlifting my bodyweight. :)
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Hi, I'm starting the Strong Lifts 5x5 program on Monday. I've purchased the power rack, bench, oly bar and weights and I've read all I can get my hands on and watched countless videos on form so I think I'm ready.....lol. I'm still not sure about the amount of calories I should be eating since I need to lose weight too. Good luck with the program. :flowerforyou: