Going backwards on the elliptical

Options
Anyone every do this? I tried it today and wow...it hurts LOL! From what I'm gathering you're supposed to do the same amount backward that you did forward. I'm not sure I could do that :noway: :laugh:

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    im wondering the same, I see people do it all the time and wondered.
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    Options
    I've done it as a warm up and cool down, but not for long.

i understand its supposed to work different muscles in your legs.

i think i would prefer going forward, sometimes thats hard in itself. LOL!!
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I go backwards for 1 minute every 10 minutes during a 40 min workout--so 3x for 1 minute....It's good for the hamstrings!
  • linedawg
    linedawg Posts: 49
    Options
    I wanted to know the same, other than working out different parts of your legs is there any other benefit to walking backwards on it?
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people do this. I've never tried it myself though!
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    I go backwards...but it's definitely not equal to the amount I go forward.lol Just depends on what course ur doing. =D
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I do the first half of my workout backwards (it's more difficult, so I want to get it over first!), and the second half forwards. When we bought our elliptical the manual stated that going backwards works the backs of your legs, going forwards works the front part. I need help on both, so split my workout in half.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Going backwards really really works out your calves and hamstrings. When I first got on an elliptical, I did it backwards and thought "Holy crap, this is really hard!" until a trainer told me I was going backwards.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Going backwards works your a$$ets so you don't necessarily have to do the same amount as going forward. I used to try backwards but then I found out it's for your butt and figured I've got enough help going forward and from running, so I just stopped doing it.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Lol, I do this all the time! I find that there is less pressure on my knees when I go backwards, so when I'm going forward and they start to ache or I feel like I need a break, I go backwards instead of stopping. I always thought it was easier though, hummm :ohwell:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I do the same amount backwards as I do forwards. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up by switching the direction, like everyone said, it works different muscles so I find it a nice break to switch it up.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ...I dont have an elliptical, however I cant even walk 10 steps without tripping over myself. backwards?? I so dont see that happening. lol
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I alternate every 5 minutes. Forward for 5 then backwards for 5 then start all over again. It breaks the monotony as well
  • cotton1985
    cotton1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did the crosstraining course on the elliptical today and it directs you to go forward and backward! It was hard I was sweating like a pig but I got through it! It was worth it I feel great!
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just did this for the 1st time, 5 mins.

Man..I'm going to feel it tomorrow.
  • katwoman1980
    katwoman1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i did this today during my cool down and i felt like the back of my legs and thighs were really worked :)
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options
    Do this on a treadmill with a steep incline. Works wonders!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I change my direction every 10 minutes for the hour I do the elliptical to fight boredom and work different muscles.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I do backwards once in a while, it's a nice way to shock them leg muscles since going backwards hits different ones.