Can I combine weight & cardio training on the same day?

Options
khall86790
khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
I know this may seem like a silly question as I have previously read you should weight train on select days and cardio on others, however I am starting out with basic body weight training and previously I have combined stuff like yoga/pilates with a 20 minute run after and had no issues.
I am starting this routine today;
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
To take my fitness up a notch in preparation for starting free weights in a couple of weeks and I wanted to know if it's best I just work through this and let it be my workout for the day or if I could also go for a run after/this evening? Should I wait until tomorrow to run on my rest day from this?

Thanks guys.

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do both on the same day.
    It's just recommended you do strength first so you have enough energy. If you want to do cardio first I would suggest you to split your workout into two. For example, if I want to do cardio and strength in one day I do cardio before I go to work in the morning and then do strength in the evening/at night.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Unless your cardio is a half marathon, the only limit is fatigue and soreness. If you're up to it, then go ahead.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do both most days, usually cardio first with a several-hour break before doing strength training. Works for me.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Yes. I prefer it. I like to do absolutely nothing on my rest days. Why? Because I'm getting stronger when I'm doing nothing NOT when I'm lifting something.
  • khall86790
    Options
    Oh guys, PERFECT responses! Thank you very much for clearing that up.
    Another quick question, cardio first or strength training first?
    I was going to do 20 mins of strength training and then do a 20 minute run, but would I be best to do them the other way around or does it make no difference?
    Personally I think I'd find it easier to motivate myself after 20 mins of strength training to go outside for a light run then vice versa as I tend to push myself with running more so than anything else. So better for the end of my workout, right?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do most days. I like to do at least 30-45mins of cardio 5 or 6 days a week, & strength maybe 4 days a week right now. Sometimes I do cardio earlier in the day & strength at night, or if I do them together I do strength first after a 5-10min warm up so I'm not trying to do strength being a super sweaty sticky mess lol
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I usually do 20 to 60 mins of cardio before I lift and I've seen good results...
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    If you're going to do them in the same session, I'd suggest strength before cardio. As you may be too fatigued after cardio to do strength well.
  • khall86790
    Options
    I do most days. I like to do at least 30-45mins of cardio 5 or 6 days a week, & strength maybe 4 days a week right now. Sometimes I do cardio earlier in the day & strength at night, or if I do them together I do strength first after a 5-10min warm up so I'm not trying to do strength being a super sweaty sticky mess lol

I'm the same with cardio, generally do 30-40 mins a day 5-6 days a week but now I'm trying to incorporate some strength training I want to make sure I don't over do it as I've read in my research cardio can hinder the building of muscles from strength training? I got the impression this is more to do with taking adequate rest days than anything though... although I am still learning so maybe that isn't 100% accurate!

Perfect, exactly I don't want to be all sweaty and gross as I know I'll come home from my run and just want to lay on the ground rather than do strength training. Haha.
    Do you eat at a calorie surplus or at maintenance? Currently I am eating at maintenance but I am curious as to whether I should create my surplus now or wait until I start hitting the free weights.
  • daddydog69
    daddydog69 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I workout in our health center at work, Come in early for usually my cardio and then at lunch i lift every other day or do some more cardio...I found if I mix up the cardio (rowing, elliptical, bike) I get better results. I smacked a wall scale wise since I started more weight training but thats ok, my body is getting more tone and muscle weighs more than fat....I think the variance of routine is essential as opposed to less is more. Weights every other day though.....recovery time .
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I know this may seem like a silly question as I have previously read you should weight train on select days and cardio on others, however I am starting out with basic body weight training and previously I have combined stuff like yoga/pilates with a 20 minute run after and had no issues.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    To take my fitness up a notch in preparation for starting free weights in a couple of weeks and I wanted to know if it's best I just work through this and let it be my workout for the day or if I could also go for a run after/this evening? Should I wait until tomorrow to run on my rest day from this?

Thanks guys.

Yey for Nerd Fitness!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    About 95% of the cardio I've done has been right after I lifted in the gym. I don't like cardio so I try to get it over with and not do any extra lol.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    any mix is good but i'm seeing better results doing strength first as i'm less fatigued then if i did cardio first. but every few weeks i change things up nothing to say you cant mix it all about
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Small warm up cardio. 5/10 minutes, then weights then cardio session afterwards. It works!
  • khall86790
    Options

Thanks guys.

Yey for Nerd Fitness!

I just completed this work out and although I did manage to do all 3 circuits without dying, I can feel my arms and thighs are going to burn tomorrow! Going to skip my cardio today and do it tomorrow like he suggests on the site (although he suggests interval training but running works well for me - why fix something that isn't broken?) just to see what kind of aches I have tomorrow from this workout. No pain no gain! :tongue:

I also just found my new favourite fitness site. This guy is a genius.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you want to go that route, do your strength first, for safety's sake.

Much better to be too tired to run on the treadmill than to run out of energy with a barbell over your head.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you want to go that route, do your strength first, for safety's sake.

Much better to be too tired to run on the treadmill than to run out of energy with a barbell over your head.

THIS
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio+ strength together mixed - honestly that's how I get the best results. I do ZWOWs - you can google it, it's fun. It's just one of the options for me, but yeah... I do the both
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Small warm up cardio. 5/10 minutes, then weights then cardio session afterwards. It works!

thats what i tend to do too.
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    I prefer doing both on the same day because of convenience. I figure as long as I'm already in there, I may as well get it in so it's not looming over my head on the "to do list". Any extra cardio I get in on non-weight days is a bonus.

My trainer says always warm up before strength training so at a bare minimum, I get in 5 minutes cardio if I'm cutting it really close on time but normally between 15 to 30.

An ideal day for me is to take a cardio class followed by strength training. Cardio makes me winded for a bit but good and warmed up. Since I have upped my strength training, my muscles get fatigued so I pretty much don't want to be
    bothered with cardio afterward.

Notice my use of the word "bothered". This indicates my personal preference for strength training over cardio so I guess you could say I take a "save the best for last" approach. It's easier for me to stick with the plan through completion if I have something to look forward to rather than dread at the end. As long as you warm up though, I don't think it matters physically whether you do strength training or cardio first.

I am more successful if I have something to look forward to.