Starvation Mode: Dispelling the Myths

Options
2»

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see any actual study that showed weight loss that was 50% lean mass (that was conducted over a longer period than 2-4 weeks). In fact there are a great many studies done on VLCDs that show that LBM can be MAINTAINED with strength training and adequate protein. I can't remember off the top of my head what the greatest LBM loss I found was but I believe it was in the range of 25%(ish) but don't quote me on that.

I moderately concur with the article written but would like to see sources. It's stuff like this that spreads more myths than it dispels.

ETA: Except studies on lean individuals. In those cases, there is less fat available to fill the caloric needs and muscle is more likely to be lost but I still haven't seen anything in the range of fifty percent.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Agreed! Agreed! I think that some people have come to use "starvation mode" as just one more excuse as to why they are not losing weight.

I may not be in the best shape now after having three children in four years, but I used to be in incredible shape (only person to ever win swimsuit competition in the Miss America system five times). I ate a low-calorie diet, did an hour of cardio 5 days a week and lifted heavy at least three days a week. I didn't track calories back then, but I did not eat my exercise calories back. Guess what - I lost weight and built muscle. I did not hold on to my weight or gain.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is a copy n paste...

Credit your sources :-)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So starvation mode doesn't exist...
    But if you keep restricting calories your body goes into famine response? and burns alternative fuels (muscle?)

So we are all still agreed that eating below at least your BMR is a bad idea?

No chance. That last sentence is unique to this place.
  • Mac_MFP
    Mac_MFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The term "starvation mode" is misused. The biological processes in metabolic slowdown with low calorie diets are very real though.
  • misanthropist319
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful info!
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You really should give credit to original author if you're going to post information so the veracity of the data can be confirmed.

This.

Still a good post to share. Thanks
  • Modifying_Tiara
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! It really made me feel better!
  • LewCodge
    Options
    Not only is the opening post an act of plagiarism is absolutely incorrect on many levels. I think it is very dangerous cutting and pasting an article based on information from the 1950's (The Biology of Human Starvation, University of Minnesota Press), particularly when further more recent evidence and studies are available.is It is also fairly unethical to copy someone else's work with out accreditation.

Does "starvation mode" exist? Absolutely!!. When the body receives less calories than it's base metabolic rate it uses a higher ratio of muscle to fat as fuel. The body is effectively saving the fat to live on, and lowering the base metabolic rate to a sustainable level with the new caloric intake. Unless you want to eat less for the rest of your life, it is a terrible idea to consistently consume less than your BMR.

Will you put on weight with a very low calorie diet (VLCD)?: No, you will lose weight. There are a number of laws of physics/thermodynamics which ensure that if energy consumed does not equal energy utilised then there will be a change in energy stored. Although, unfortunately you will lose a higher percentage of muscle mass than fat-this is a pretty bad idea if you want long term weight loss. The more muscle you have the higher your caloric intake will be, conversely if you keep "yo-yo" dieting you increase the fat percentage in your body

Why do some Atkin's dieters maintain muscle mass while losing weight? Because dieters ARE fulfilling their BMR caloric intake, they just happen to be doing it without carbohydrates. Aitkins can be good for losing weight short term and I actually love the diet as I really enjoy my proteins, unfortunately it punches holes in your liver, affects brain function, massively increases the chance of diabetes type II and can be a real cholesterol churner . If the diet was sustainable and healthy then why would Atkin.com themselves say it requires over 50 types of supplements to maintain a healthy lifestyle? Any diet that says a pill is better than eating fruit or berries is intrinsically flawed.

As stupid as is sound, losing weight should not be the goal of dieters. Their goal should be to lose FAT. Like most overweight people, I'm fat because I have eaten too much food, eaten the wrong types of food and have not done enough exercise. To lose fat I have to eat my enough calories to maintain my BMR (2200 cal) in the right balance of proteins/carbohydrates/ fats In my opinion this should be (40/40/20 each meal) i.e 40% of my caloric intake should be protein 40% carbs and 20% fat. Any movement I do throughout the day burns fat. If I consistently eat less than my 2200 cal, then I reduce burning fat and start using muscle as fuel for my body. Any exercise I do while having this caloric intake in this ratio is either building muscle(weight training/resistance work) or burning fat(walking/spinning), that's got to be a good thing.

Detoxification is also absolutely critical for getting rid of those that bits of fat like pot bellies or bingo wings, but that is a tale for another day.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think it is very dangerous cutting and pasting an article based on information from the 1950's (The Biology of Human Starvation, University of Minnesota Press), particularly when further more recent evidence and studies are available

^^this. That post made tons of claims, yet it only listed one source from 1950! I wouldn't put too much faith into the article's veracity.