No pain but knee crackling/creaking/popping

Options
I was just doing my morning exercise which incorporates a lot of lunges and squats and me crackles and creaks every time I bend it. There is absolutely no pain but I fear that there could be if my cartilage is being damaged. Can someone please give me advise. I would love to keep going with this exercise but I will still if it has more serious future implications.

Replies

• shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've had similiar experiences....I'm curious of what others have to say....
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i would also like to know more as i dont feel pain anywhere while exercising but my heels pain alot after every 2-3days of exercising
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Both my trainers (buff guys in their 20s) have assured me that as long as there is no pain, the crackling is semi normal. My first trainer used to joke about it, anf my second trainer says he has it too. He is a beast--he totally gets off on pushing his limits.
  • shanteel612
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Both my trainers (buff guys in their 20s) have assured me that as long as there is no pain, the crackling is semi normal. My first trainer used to joke about it, anf my second trainer says he has it too. He is a beast--he totally gets off on pushing his limits.

Lol, thanks. I was very worried.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm interested by this - my knees always crack and I get this huge hollow popping sound in my hip when I do bicycle crunches. Don't think it's anything to worry about but wish I could stop it. Makes me feel queasy haha!
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Its ok to say not to worry but I think it wouldnt do any harm to have it checked out,if it happens to be nothing then thats fine but if you do get injured it could put you out and well off of your stride!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't have pain from this sound but the physio has diagnosed that my knee cartilage is wearing- and recommended glucosamine for cartilage growth. A friend has told me though that additional glucosamine is not good for fertility- so you may need to research further if you are planning a family.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I had major popping in my hips a few years back and my chiropractor assured me it was a tracking issue, did yoga and stretching to get the hips in the right place, went away! :)
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the same, I hear it when I walk down the stairs and as I do squats. It's very disturbing and so distracting I turn up the music to drown out the cracking while I finish my squats.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My knees are the same when I squat, the doctor told me as long as there is no pain it's ok
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My knees, hips and shoulders do this all the time. I was worried about it when I started lifting and took glucosamine, and it has improved a bit but is still there. I have no injury issues with those areas, so I just regard it as a musical accompaniment to my work outs (much to my PTs amusement).
  • shanteel612
    Options
    I was on the first week of my 2 round of p90x. After talking to my husband and reading responses I have decided to stop until I see a doc. Thanks everyone
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had this too and started fish oil supplements (wild salmon oil). After about 6-8 weeks, it's totally stopped. Only pops once in awhile after sitting when I go from flexion to extension. I would also be taking glucosamine/chondroitin but I am nursing a baby, so I have to wait till I'm done.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my knees... can be very disturbing at times and wondering if I'm possibly wearing down cartilage?
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Get it checked, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I had miniscus/knee spur surgery almost 2 years ago, partly due to me ignoring the pain I was in until it got unbearable.

Knee spurs are what your body grows when what you are doing isn't supporting your frame enough, ok till they catch on a ligament then it freaking hurts!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Mine sound like velcro. You may be wearing out the cartilage in your knee. Try not to extend your knee beyond your toes when you squat. (this is a challenge all to itself). No pain right now so no worries. Try not to over lift, work into weights.

Good news, loosing weight and gaining muscle helps.

Fish oil and glucosamine are worth looking into for your joint health. I also use tart cherry juice. Seems to help a bunch.
  • shanteel612
    Options
    Mine sound like velcro. You may be wearing out the cartilage in your knee. Try not to extend your knee beyond your toes when you squat. (this is a challenge all to itself). No pain right now so no worries. Try not to over lift, work into weights.

Good news, loosing weight and gaining muscle helps.

Fish oil and glucosamine are worth looking into for your joint health. I also use tart cherry juice. Seems to help a bunch.

Thanks a lot, I may try one of the supplements that you mentioned.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My knees were fine until I started the 30 Day Squat Challenge. Too much too soon. First I started creaking and popping. Then I started with pain. I stopped the challenge and have to do some modifications on other things that I do until it heals and gets stronger.

Wise decision to stop until you know.
  • rcadogs
    rcadogs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My left knee has been doing this for a few days now, I can feel cartilage or possibly ligaments or tendons moving around pooping in and out of place, but there's no serious pain or swelling to speak of. I'm planning on modifying my workouts by doing pilates every other day. Should I be worried or just be extra careful?