Serving Size of Pasta

Options
I know I have asked this question before but Im still not sure of the answer. Is it true that 2 oz of spaghetti noodles dry equals 1/2 cup cooked? I really need to get a scale! Every time I eat pasta I worry that Im eating too much. Thanks in advance for whoever replies! =)

Replies

• AlexandraNK
    Options
    I don't know about spagetti but I do think you should get a scale. It's completely Changed my life and the way i eat. Its great!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i've asked this question on here multiple times and i seem to receive a wide variety of reponses. its so frustrating! i still don't know the answer. i too need to know though becuase when i eat pasta i usually add some chicken chunks, beans, or vegetables to it to make an entire meal-in-one. my serving size is a plate full. i have no clue how to guess how many ounces that is.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I know I have asked this question before but Im still not sure of the answer. Is it true that 2 oz of spaghetti noodles dry equals 1/2 cup cooked? I really need to get a scale! Every time I eat pasta I worry that Im eating too much. Thanks in advance for whoever replies! =)

Pasta doubles it's size when cooked.
    1/2 cup (4 oz.) dry pasta = 1 cup (8 oz.) cooked pasta

Googling is a great way to figure it out as well as I know it comes up often and it is funny to see all the responses. I had to double check myself then I made a mistake typing it in.:tongue:

oops
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I dont have an answer other than I'm lazy and I only buy whole wheat pasta that has the serving size of dry on the box. I dont have time to figure it out and weigh it.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Definitely go the scale route--they really make using this tool much easier and can be inexpensive. I usually just weigh out the 2 oz dry on the scale, or 4 ounces if my husband is eating it too. If we share it, I assume I eat a little less than my husband but can usually be confident I didn't eat any more than the 2 oz (the typical serving size on box), so log that in or a little less.

I think it's really hard to use the conversion estimates that some websites quote--I tried looking that up before I started measuring and found that I was not confident with what I was entering, so avoided pasta dishes. Not a great solution!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use a scale too, or for spaghetti it's easy than short pasta to try to divide the pack into similar portions I think.

To be honest, the size and weight of cooked pasta is so variable that it's difficult to work that way. By that I mean - I like to cook my pasta very well and it expands to much larger than it would be if I cooked it until just done. Obviously that extra size is water - so you can see how measurements of cooked pasta could differ.