What keeps me going at work every day....

Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
As I have mentioned before, I was out of work for 13 months until last February. My new job pays about 1/2 of my previous (pretty typical for an American in their 50s these days). I am back to a staff-level position, working on the front line with members at a hospital based fitness center.

Which is fine. After 9 years in sales, I needed to reconnect with the "hands on" fitness world. Maybe somewhere down the road I will find some career opportunities that are more commensurate with my education and experience, but for now I am enjoying the ride and not really worrying about that.

I worked with a woman about 2 months ago, setting her up on a program. She is in her 40s and has taken a physical beating the past few years--thyroid problems, lupus, some heart surgery, among others--that left her debilitated, depressed and a good 100 pounds overweight. Getting on some thyroid medication got rid of about 30 pounds, but she still has a ways to go. She has just recently tried to restart her professional life and is working on her physical life now as well.

When started, I did my best (as I always do) to give her advice and a program that would hopefully allow her to see some results, but that she could tolerate. Quite frankly, I did not hold out much hope, both due to her lack of fitness, health issues and kind of "defeated" outlook on life. But I did my best to encourage her when she came in.

Well, she has really dedicated herself. She does 30+ minutes of cardio, then 40 min of weights, then swims for 40 min. She is going on vacation for a couple of weeks so she asked me Sunday for some exercises she could do on her own at her sister's house. I gave her some body weight stuff, but I had to modify everything UPWARD (i.e. make it more challenging) because she has done so well. She has only lost 8 or 9 pounds in almost 3 months, but her whole demeanor has changed. She is upbeat, she has a new shine to her eyes and face and more color in her skin, etc. She is truly kicking butt and taking names. She said even her doctor was amazed.

The results are more than physical. I mean she still has a LOT of weight to lose and she has to fight for every pound. But she has so much more energy and carries herself much more confidently, it is just amazing. She is living proof that "exercise is medicine". I work 12 hours on Sundays (6:30 am to 6:30 pm) running the fitness floor by myself, but I walked out last Sunday with a little more bounce in my step, inspired by her efforts and feeling pretty good about myself that I might have had a tiny role to play in the outcome.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    That's awesome! But then again, you're a great motivator!! :happy: It's true excercise really changes a person in so many ways.

Glad you're adjusting to your new job and getting more benefits from it than you might have imagined.:flowerforyou:

Great to hear from you Azdak:wink:

Becca
  • LadyLorax
    LadyLorax Posts: 20
    What an inspirational post! I'm in a similar work situation where my new job is 1/2 of what I was getting paid previously but it is for a nonprofit that does great work and I am more fulfilled than in my previous role.

I can relate to your clients change - even a brisk walk during lunch gets me motivated and makes me feel great before I go back to the grind.

Thanks for the little boast!
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing, and incidentally, I think that the girls' progress more than likely reflects just as much on yourself, as it does on her....

That was really good and a change from the typical 'me, me, me ...' posts which is our default mode i guess...
  • LadyLorax
    LadyLorax Posts: 20
    "me, me, me posts..." LOL =)
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    1/2 Pay. Front line.

But I bet its more rewarding than sitting behind a desk. Good for you.
This discussion has been closed.